The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-12-2024, 05:53 PM

Question Hagstrom BJ-12 Bolt On Neck Issues

Hi all,

I recently had the fortuitous opportunity to pick up a vintage 1971 Hagstrom BJ-12 12-string guitar. This is the same model the likes of John Lennon, David Bowie and Cat Stevens, among others, used to write, play and record with.

Upon restringing the guitar with a new set of strings, I observed that the top end of the neck by the sound hole would start to dive in towards the body as I tightened the strings. Upon further examination, the neck is not stable even though the neck bolts were tightened.

I purchased some neck shims, but at this point it looks like it will need some sort of neck reset. I was thinking something along the lines of putting super glue in the neck holes and using screws instead of bolts in an attempt to stabilize the neck.

If anyone can offer any advice on how to deal with this I would appreciate it very much. I’m wanting to do the repair myself with having to take it to a luthier who would probably do something similar and charge up the nose.

Thanks in advance & keep on pickin’ & strummin’!

Tristan
Old 01-12-2024, 05:54 PM

Last edited by 12Stringz; 01-12-2024 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Photo didn’t stick
Old 01-12-2024, 11:09 PM

If OP wants to turn a small problem into a hot mess, he should continue with his throw-some-glue-in approach.

Time for a professional to take a look and diagnose OP's problem.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:14 AM

Are the neck bolts or inserts stripped?
Are the inserts loose or stripped in holes in the neck?
Is the neck block itself not stable? I had this problem with an Epiphone bolt on 12 string.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Are the neck bolts or inserts stripped?
Are the inserts loose or stripped in holes in the neck?
Is the neck block itself not stable? I had this problem with an Epiphone bolt on 12 string.
Thank you for your response, it seems like something inside - the inserts may be loose - I’ve not looked at that yet but I definitely will. How did you go about fixing the issue?
Old 01-15-2024, 05:02 PM

Default a thought

Fixing it?

My opinion: Take it to a competent tech, there's way too many decision points in a repair that any reply on a forum would help with.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:11 PM

The neck block and/or the top is broken. This is a common thing, one blow to the head will do this, the construction of the neck junction to the body is bad. There has to be a major repair done after removing the neck.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:16 AM

[QUOTE=12Stringz;7389967]T
Old 01-16-2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Stringz View Post
Thank you for your response, it seems like something inside - the inserts may be loose - I’ve not looked at that yet but I definitely will. How did you go about fixing the issue?
I had 2 of those Epiphone 12 strings, I was given. I used the neck from one on the body of the other to make one playable guitar.

I kept the 2nd body for a pattern. I looked at that unstable neck block yesterday and saw that it was plywood with horizontal laminations, parallel to the fretboard, that delaminated and caused a similar collapsed look to your guitar.
Old 01-21-2024, 01:19 AM

I’ve not had a chance to look at the neck as my songwriting partner and I are ramping up to start recording our original music. Short of finding another Hagstrom that I can swap out necks with, I may be limited on what I can do with it.

As for those who’ve suggested/advised to take it to a luthier, yes I may end up doing that.

At the same time, it would be nice to receive some sort of encouragement for at least seeing if the issue can be attempted to be resolved without discouragement and/or referring to me (“the OP”) in the 3rd person.Some of us do like the challenge and rewarding satisfaction of working on and fixing our own gear.
Old 01-21-2024, 01:31 AM

That's not a neck problem; it's the top caving in because the bracing is completely gone or broken.

I'd suggest you take it back where you bought it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
neck adjustment, neck angle, neck reset