The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Default How much of the pick to you use?

Do you try to use as little as possible or the opposite. Does it very by song. For me it seems part of songs it's easier to have a lot showing and for others a little. I'm not sure how I should be doing it.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:16 PM

To me, it varies with the pick. I choke up on my Wegens more than I do a similar size Blue Chip. Just find where I get best tone/volume with minimal noise.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 PM

It varies for me, either a little or medium showing but never more than half. When I started using a pick, I had trouble keeping it from moving around, and often had to stop and re-grip the thing. Now I can change how much to show and the angle of attack on the fly.

Different positions and angles will affect volume and tone. More pick extension tends to produce airy tones and more pick slap, less pick extension a harder tone, less slap. How you hold the pick with your thumb and fingers also influences playability.

Brad's Right Hand Technique video may help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw6Hq...eature=related
Old 12-10-2011, 06:44 PM

It ABSOLUTELY depends on the song and the sound I am trying to get. I always (almost) use a nice thick pick, but for some songs, and sounds, a really thin pick is required.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
It ABSOLUTELY depends on the song and the sound I am trying to get. I always (almost) use a nice thick pick, but for some songs, and sounds, a really thin pick is required.
I'm really more interested in the amount of pick rather than the thickness.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:22 PM

I use very little of the pick. Guess it is a habit for me given the way I play but I never really give it much thought to use more of the pick then I do now (only the point end)
Old 12-10-2011, 09:39 PM

It depends what I'm doing. I will use less pick if I'm soloing than if I'm strumming or picking out chords. I don't even think about it anymore.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 PM

More often than not, none. Pretty much, I only use a pick when I play with people who are unable to control their volume or are intentionally trying to be the loudest.

Ed
Old 12-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Whippersnapper

It depends on the song/style, of course, but I tend to use just the very tip of the pick. Usually I use a combination of the pick and my thumb/fingertips holding the pick, since I choke up on it so much. After playing for a while, my fingertip will be black from the string, and torn to shreds.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
... I tend to use just the very tip of the pick. Usually I use a combination of the pick and my thumb/fingertips holding the pick, since I choke up on it so much. After playing for a while, my fingertip will be black from the string, and torn to shreds.
Ditto. There is a perpetual dip in the upper left side of my pointer finger's nail. I wonder if this is the cause of it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion