The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM

I don't know what it is about "vintage" amps, either. All I know is that Leo Fender, Jim Marshall and others designed their amps to be durable, reliable and functional. The chassis and the cabinets on those old things were, if anything, overbuilt so they could withstand years and years of wear and tear. That's why the things are so heavy. The workmanship inside showed very strict quality control... and the tone stacks on those old babies is something to marvel at. I don't know if today's modern hybrid amps (with tubes mounted on a printed circuit board) will stand up over decades of use as well, but they're certainly more portable. And I like all the sounds I get out of my Fender Blues Jr. I miss the tremolo circuit -- but what are you going to do? You can't have everything.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
I miss the tremolo circuit -- but what are you going to do? You can't have everything.
You can if you build your own!

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Hard to go wrong in any direction but after having a slew of BF vintage amps, I've really enjoyed the refinement and reliability of the current amps in my electric stable:

Fender/Dumble Style:
Two Rock Jet, Classic Reverb, CRSv2
Carr Sportsman
Tone King Metropolitan

Vox Style:
Morgan AC20 Deluxe
Matchless
Louis Electric Custom

I haven't got around to Marshall style but here are some interesting ones:
Geronimo, Metropolous (sp?), Top Hat

Having played these side by side the "newer" stuff sounds much better to my ears.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM

Depends on the guitar of choice ,what style music you play, Personally I love smaller wattage vintage amps ,although for larger amps I have a personal favorite the Gibson super goldtone that came out in the late 90's . On the Gibson it has to be the Goldtone head or the super goldtone combo that has the 10" and 12" speaker configuration with the controls at the top like a Fender bassman and not the ones with the controls on the back of the amp and chassis on the bottom of the amp....Big difference in quality and tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars