The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 PM

Larrivee L-19M (maple body)

Sounded nothing like I expect a maple body to sound like, it was deep and resonant like rosewood.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 AM

I found myself in a small room at an uptight guitar shop. I sat down and played a guitar that had a baseball bat shaped neck, all kinds of finish cracks everywhere, chips in the binding and age spots everywhere. It seemed a bit on the small side and I didn't expect anything much. It sounded amazing though - it had a soul stirring sound. It was built to play the blues. The sound was perfect for the blues scale. I jammed a bit on it and wanted to buy it. it was a $2,000 Gibson J-50 from the late '60s if I'm remembering all of the details just right. I wanted it, was wanting to start the bargaining process (would have bought it for the 2k if bargaining didn't work) but then a shop sale guy was rude to me, so I left. I still think about that guitar but they can keep it. I'll find another - I don't reward rude people no matter how badly I want a product.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I have 2 guitars that blew me away sound wise and both were purchased over the Internet without playing first.

The first a short-scale 12-fret Taylor GA-LTD, Cedar over Macassar Ebony. Excellent bass to treble balance and wonderful warmth. Surprisingly big voice.

The second a Bourgeois SJ, Redwood over Madagascar Rosewood. This guitar rings like a piano. Excellent overtones and sparkle with really nice warmth from the redwood.

Love em' both.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 AM

Default Martin J-40

Of all the Martin models, this one was just the best. It sounded vastly superior to the dreadnoughts and OM. An airy, rich tone that was maybe the best I ever heard.

I don't know why Martin dreadnoughts are so prized; the J-40 just beats them all by orders of magnitude.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

My $100 Epiphone DR100 sounds like it's worth 10X more...

STeve
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM

My 2005 Martin OM-45 Tasmanian Blackwood still blows me away, years later, the best Martin I have ever owned or played, and I've owned quite a few of the uber high enders.

It also opened me up to other tonewoods, now every Martin I own has a different wood combination than the others, viva le difference!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

My ancient Takamine still surprises me, for such a low-end laminate model. Very sweet tones. The biggest surprise, though, was a used Taylor 614CE in a Sam Ash. Having heard all of the "tinny" references to maple Taylors, I was shocked at how "chimey" the bass was, and how full the guitar sounded. Yes, it was brighter than many, but still rich, sweet and pretty loud. It's what led me to looking for, and purchasing my GSCE LTD.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM

Before I bought my Gibson I had a Martin DX1 dread. It had a solid spruce top but laminated back/sides and a laminated neck. A pretty unimpressive looking guitar, but I got non-stop compliments on the sound from a lot of experienced players.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:47 PM

My Walden CG4070.. love the sound that comes out of it. Sounds better then a LOT of cedar/mahogany guitars I tried before and since (Blows Taylor GA5's out of the water for less then half the price).

The other guitar was a Larrivee C-10 Presentation I was able to play while in Mass. on a work related trip a while ago. I stopped in The Music Emporium and they had a C10 with Florentine cutaway and a Wendy inlay headstock on it.. the one with the tambourine gypsy girl. It looked beautiful but sounded better.. I wanted it bad.. good thing someone else bought it shortly after, because I probably would have gotten in trouble with the wife

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Not a surprise to many but I had always been a little dissapointed by Martins. Some sounded good but none had ever felt comfortable for me to play. I bought some taylor because they played great even though they I liked the Martin sound better.
Well I bought an HD28 and it is now one of my favorite guitars. It plays very comfortably. The neck is just right and the action is fantastic. And that wonderful HD28 sound knocked me off my feet.

My hd28 is as good as guitars I own that cost twice as much
Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 PM

The guitar I played that surprised me so much was a Larrivee L-09. Maybe I'm not sure what I expected, but it was likely the first guitar that helped me understand what folks meant when they would describe a piano-like sound -- big, orchestral, yet could hear individual notes. I wasn't looking to buy a guitar at the time, but I did go back and play it several times before it sold. It had a beautiful sunburst to boot. Someone got a very nice guitar when they purchased it.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Like a couple of other folks, I'd have to say it was the Taylor 12 Fret. Surprising bass and volume from a small body. I'll probably get a second one in mahogany. A close second would be a Martin 00X1. Not in terms of sound, but in terms of surprise. Sounds a lot better than my expectation for an HPL guitar (does have a solid top). It makes a nice camping guitar.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Epiphone Bonamassa Les Paul. Go figure. Bought it on a whim, expecting to find some fatal flaw and send it back. Turns out it's superb - seriously, it's better than a new Gibson LP Standard and Traditional I had bought, both of which were returned for obvious and multiple issues. Just put a new Gotoh bridge and stopbar on it, new strings ... Gimme a break. What a joy to play. It redefines the market IMO.

Oh - and the Aparicio AA100 cedar/RW I got from Todd. Absurdly good.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM

The Huss and Dalton TOM-M with Italian spruce top and "Sinker" hog that I just bought. Wow, I've been playing it for hours and am just stunned at the beauty of its sound whether finger style or light strumming. It just sounds so earthy and deep.I've just never heard a guitar like this and I've had a Martin 000-28EC and a Collings Om. I also have now a Webber 000-28 twelve fret and while I love that, its sound pales beside that of this TOM-M.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Okay, so I stumbled into a prewar Martin.

I was at Lark Street Music to check out an old Gibson and while I was there started checking out the Martins on the wall. Tried a few great modern ones and pulled off the next one on the wall - it was a bit worn vs the other ones but I didn't really notice. Started playing it - jeezus, it had another gear! I strummed it and it was like a frisbee dog - hey! Wanna play? Let's run! It was like surfing - picked me up and surfed me along. If you haven't played one, I dunno, I would say you haven't really experienced one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion