The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 03:24 PM

Default Wall Hangers?

I've got more than a couple guitars now and I kinda want a few of those hooks for putting a guitar (acoustic and electric) on the wall.

My good acoustics sleep in their cases, but I'd kinda like to hang my GS-mini and a Strat-copy up in my music room, and maybe another one for "in-session" use so I don't have to recase a guitar if I'm going to go use the WC or something.

I see many varieties on Amazon, some about $12 per, and some about 15 for a 2-3 pack.

I don't want to chince out on something I'm trusting with the safety of my instruments but I also don't want to waste money.

Locking vs open-Y hangers?

What works for you?
Thanks!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:40 PM

I don't use them myself but don't hang your acoustics on an outside wall if you're in a cold climate. The temperature difference from back to front can damage the wood.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:40 PM

Take a look at the Hercules hangers. Safe for most finishes and they have fingers that lock the guitar in place when you hang it.

Stay away from the cheap hangers - they are cheap for a reason.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM

I use these Amazon cheapies:

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Stage-Aco...=guitar+hanger

My old (unchambered body, very heavy) Les Paul has hung off of one for years.

One slight bummer is the drywall anchors they supply with the hangers are terrible terrible. You'll need to buy some higher quality ones, but they only cost a couple bucks for a big pack...

I'm not a fan of the "locking" style hangers. Every time I come across them at a guitar shop they annoy me; I've found it often becomes a two hand affair to get the guitar - one hand on the guitar neck and one hand to finagle the locking mechanism that never seems to just "release" as intended. Problem is exacerbated by other guitars in close proximity.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 PM

I love my "sting swing!" Easy to put up, looks good, and takes great care of my guitar. Don't like the "locking" ones because they aren't really locked and look kinda funny to me.

https://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-...s=string+swing

Scott
Old 01-18-2018, 04:49 PM

I have six Hercules "grabber" style hangers on my living room wall, with a guitar living in each. I even have one outside on the covered back porch for summer time porch swing picking. Saves having to keep a stand handy out there.

Nothing less than Hercules is good enough for my babies. I lived in earthquake country for a long time too, so the extra containment of the grabbers was an important factor for me.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:55 PM

I have open y hangars made by String Swing and they are very satisfactory and secure. Note, I am very careful with my instruments and do not have young children or other hazards around.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I've had 10-13 guitars hanging on the wall for several years with no problem. I use String Swing and Fret Rest. I tried a Hercules, but found that the "locking" aspect of it would cause the guitar to snag frequently as I removed a guitar from a hanger. Almost dropped one a couple of times so I threw it away.

The important thing is to make sure that your hangers are anchored in a stud or a board that's anchored to studs. I have used molly's (anchoring only to wallboard) a couple of times and never had a problem, but it's not something I would recommend.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:06 PM

I use open hangers and they work fine.
It doesn't easily come off.
I have to twist the neck angle to get guitars out so it's kinda locked.

Here are the ones I used: I like the wooden ones better but the black also work great.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:09 PM

String Swing.
If you're mounting them on your own board purchase directly from the website in bulk; they'll be 6 or 7 bucks each.

They are available in two basic configurations. I use the ones that are cradle shaped so there's no chance of them coming out unless they are lifted up to release them. I don't trust e-bay hangers as I've had a few of them just bust off at the weld mysteriously. I also don't trust the covering to not effect the finish. I've been using the String Swing hangers for years with no effect on any of the finishes on my instruments.

The ONLY way I'll use a wall hanger is if the backing board or mount is attached to a wall stud.

I've also been using the bulk hangers to make my own stands, since I like String Swing products so much.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-18-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:25 PM

Yep, wall stud or really good anchors. Guitars don’t weigh much but safety first.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_D View Post
I don't use them myself but don't hang your acoustics on an outside wall if you're in a cold climate. The temperature difference from back to front can damage the wood.
I hadn't thought about that but, good point.
Nah, the wall I would use is an interior basement wall.

Besides, if I hung em on the exterior they'd get full of snow!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Guest 1511

I use open-Y hangers as I find them best and safest. I used to use Hercules but those little fingers have a way of snagging the strings when you pull the guitar off; this doesn't hurt the strings so much as causes a balance issue in my hands making me fear I'll drop the guitar or knock it against something. If you're worried about them slipping off get the ones with the little round rubber pieces at the ends, those are the best overall for safety and convenience.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 PM

Because of the cold weather the humidity in my den gets as low as 28%. I keep all of my guitars in their cases with humidifiers. I would love to have them out on hangers but ????
Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
Because of the cold weather the humidity in my den gets as low as 28%. I keep all of my guitars in their cases with humidifiers. I would love to have them out on hangers but ????
I'm not at all worried about the gs-mini nor the electrics, which currently stay out on floor stands.
Plus I'd like one for in-session use.

But yeah, in our MN winters my music room gets down to ~20%RH.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion