The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 05:02 PM

One of these days, I'm going to get enough pennies together to order one

Last edited by caperrob; 01-17-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:31 PM

About the bevel on BC Picks...There was a video out there that explained the kind of bevel you would want for your picking style, but I cannot find it now. In my case, the side toward the bridge strikes first, which seems like a left hand bevel according to what I remember...is that right? Or (and serious question here) am I just picking "wrong"?

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 01-17-2018, 05:44 PM

not sure but I think a right side bevel is for those who hold pick in right hand .....???? Little help here ........
Old 01-17-2018, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Love the product but 4.95 to put a pick in a 59 cent envelope is lame.
That's $4.95 to choose your particular order, print out the invoice, attach the pick to the envelope insert, print out your mailing address, attach the mailing address, weigh the envelope and choose postage, print out the postage, and take the envelope to them post office or wherever his mail pickup is. Some businesses include that price as part of the pick price. Others just charge extra for all that extra handling.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
not sure but I think a right side bevel is for those who hold pick in right hand .....???? Little help here ........
If you are playing righty , then order right handed. That's the way I do it (the default choice).
Old 01-17-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
If you are playing righty , then order right handed. That's the way I do it (the default choice).
Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 PM

hope you get one and try it Luv mine ...best pick(s) I have ever used !!!
Old 01-17-2018, 08:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

I don't think there's any question that Blue Chip is the gold standard in the premium pick marketplace. To do that one needs both excellent products and excellent customer service. I actually feel the first three to five years of a company's life it's even more important to have superb customer service than world-class products. Both good and bad news travel fast.

Excellent customer service is vitally important in today's retail climate. To big online companies like Amazon, for instance, or any of the cable or telecom mega-giants, you're just a number. How many of you knew that Amazon has a toll-free customer service number that they don't tell anyone about?

In the early eighties I had the good fortune for work in outside sales for Alpine Car Audio. Straight out of the gate they had the best products on the market paired with top customer service. They flourished immediately.

Anyway, like the rest of you, I always prefer to do business with companies that clearly go that extra yard in customer service.

scott memmer
Old 01-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm right handed, and play right handed, but I need a left hand bevel. It's not just about which hand you play with, it depends on your playing style and how you hold the pick. When I bought my first Blue Chip I wasn't sure which bevel to get, so I sent them a photo of a well-worn pick I'd been using for a while. They confirmed that I needed a left hand bevel.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
That's $4.95 to choose your particular order, print out the invoice, attach the pick to the envelope insert, print out your mailing address, attach the mailing address, weigh the envelope and choose postage, print out the postage, and take the envelope to them post office or wherever his mail pickup is. Some businesses include that price as part of the pick price. Others just charge extra for all that extra handling.
I think a lot of companies these days are backending
charges on the shipping. i would feel better if
they just charged 39.95 and offered free shipping.
i bought a 14 dollar item the other day they wanted
17 dollars to ship. like the infomercials say
today "if you buy one for 19.95 you can get
a second one for free". just pay a separate fee. ha guess it's not free then is it?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:47 PM

My 3-year-old grandson happened to be down in my "guitar space" when his family were taking my house for a vacation. We were away on a trip and my grandson happened to "play" with my engraved BluePick TD35 and it has gone missing since. I told my daughter (his mom) how much I had paid for the pick and she nearly flipped. "Isn't that like paying $600 for a hamburger?" said she. Kind of, said I, but I love great hamburgers so much I quickly ordered another to replace the missing one. They are that good.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I don't think there's any question that Blue Chip is the gold standard in the premium pick marketplace. To do that one needs both excellent products and excellent customer service. I actually feel the first three to five years of a company's life it's even more important to have superb customer service than world-class products. Both good and bad news travel fast.

Excellent customer service is vitally important in today's retail climate. To big online companies like Amazon, for instance, or any of the cable or telecom mega-giants, you're just a number. How many of you knew that Amazon has a toll-free customer service number that they don't tell anyone about?

In the early eighties I had the good fortune for work in outside sales for Alpine Car Audio. Straight out of the gate they had the best products on the market paired with top customer service. They flourished immediately.

Anyway, like the rest of you, I always prefer to do business with companies that clearly go that extra yard in customer service.

scott memmer
Don't sell yourself short !!!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I think a lot of companies these days are backending
charges on the shipping. i would feel better if
they just charged 39.95 and offered free shipping.
i bought a 14 dollar item the other day they wanted
17 dollars to ship. like the infomercials say
today "if you buy one for 19.95 you can get
a second one for free". just pay a separate fee. ha guess it's not free then is it?
Folks, to explain the freight charge, etc. I'm not certain but I THINK what BC is doing -- and this is not a diss on them, by any means -- is something fairly common when a business gets a certain size. My guess is they are using something called a Fulfillment Service to process and ship their orders. This is kinda like what Amazon does, except Amazon's rates are ridiculouse.

There are many fulfillment houses around the country that are bonded and very legit organizations. What they do is have a warehouse -- sometimes a very LARGE warehouse -- with product from many vendors in one location. This warehouse has a good supply of inventory and "fulfills" the order by packing and shipping it, then gets a fee or percentage (negotiated beforehand) for each order. I'm not exactly sure how these fees work, but since BC's products weigh almost nothing, my guess would be a straight fee per order. Other vendors might have products of different weights and/or sizes, and there would probably be some kind of sliding scale based on those parameters.

Anyway, remember that BC was a very successful machine shop before they got into the guitar pick business. My guess is they still are. So for a variety of reasons they may very well be using a fulfillment house.

Wanted to shed a bit of light on this. Hope it's useful.

scott memmer
Old 01-18-2018, 08:08 PM

So tonight, I traded my new Gravity Gold series 1mm for my friends Blue Chip TAD-60 (1.5mm) which I really liked. He really liked the Gravity pick because it gave more in strumming than the Blue Chip. I know he's rarely used it and I had just gotten the Gravity and to even things up, I also have him a Gravity acrylic 1.15mm that they threw in with my order (thanks BTW) which he also likes.

Good trade for us both and so now I have a great Blue Chip pick, plus my new Charmed Life 1mm Red and a couple nice Gravity acrylic picks and I'm a happy camper.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Last edited by Social Exodus; 01-20-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
So tonight, I traded my new Gravity Gold series 1mm for my friends Blue Chip TAD-60 (1.5mm) which I really liked. He really liked the Gravity pick because it gave more in strumming than the Blue Chip. I know he's rarely used it and I had just gotten the Gravity and to even things up, I also have him a Gravity acrylic 1.15mm that they threw in with my order (thanks BTW) which he also likes.

Good trade for us both and so now I have a great Blue Chip pick, plus my new Charmed Life 1mm Red and a couple nice Gravity acrylic picks and I'm a happy camper.
Good for you. Sounds like a good deal on both ends. Enjoy!

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion