The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-29-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I did not know this!!!

This is very helpful feature if you record yourself. You can record and play, set gain settings and many other things. I use mine with my plus sized iPhone - a perfect companion.
Martin J40
Old 11-29-2017, 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=FrankHudson;5549664]Pro Tools may have advantages as an in-deep audio editor, I don't know as I only edit minimally in Logic Pro.

I've mixed two CD projects on Logic and while I like some of the features, I didn't like that gain reduction devices don't show how much gain reduction you're using and we also ran into distortion during the mix downs that was probably due to internal bus overloading that was not apparent on any meters I saw. We "felt" our way through the problem and fixed it by globally reducing the level on all tracks, and limiting our plugin choices to all apple only. PITA, but we got it done properly.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 11-29-2017, 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Ty Ford;5551679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Pro Tools may have advantages as an in-deep audio editor, I don't know as I only edit minimally in Logic Pro.

I've mixed two CD projects on Logic and while I like some of the features, I didn't like that gain reduction devices don't show how much gain reduction you're using and we also ran into distortion during the mix downs that was probably due to internal bus overloading that was not apparent on any meters I saw. We "felt" our way through the problem and fixed it by globally reducing the level on all tracks, and limiting our plugin choices to all apple only. PITA, but we got it done properly.

Regards,

Ty Ford
I always bounce my final mix to a 24/96 stereo track. Then I create a new project called Master and import this file. This where I work on final eq, bus compression and final gain and limiting.

This might seem a bit of an extra step but it avoids your problems and re-enforces the notion of coming to the final mix pretty fresh!
Martin J40
Old 11-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I did not know this!!!
Actually using a mobile device tablet or smartphone as a remote DAW controller is possible for a number of major DAWs with a third party app called "V Control"
I use V control on my older iPad with Pro Tools. And protools also has a built in app for use with newer mobile devices

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-29-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post

Regards,

Ty Ford
Not sure if things have changed, but another feature I liked in PT that was not in Logic (last time I played with it) in PT stereo tracks have two completely independent pan controls

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-29-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty8 View Post
With tomorrow being Cyber Monday, I'm looking to upgrade my recording equipment.
I've outgrown Garage band. I'm looking at a basic iMac (27" display) that will be dedicated to recording only. Any opinions on this platform? I use a MacBook now so I'm somewhat mac competent. The primary studio where I've recorded in the past used iMac.
Also, Pro Tools 11, 12??? I have recorded in studios enough to know I'll fumble around at first. I don't need to be a top notch engineer. I find now that Garage Band is simply way too limiting and holding me back. I don't want to pay high studio recording fees any longer.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
If you decide on PT and want to run Sierra instead of High Sierra I think this combo download (link below) may allow it. If however is not actually a "full OS installer" I am pretty certain you can call Apple Support tell them Pro tools is not qualified for HS and ask them for a link to a full installer of Sierra

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?...S&locale=en_US

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-29-2017, 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=Ty Ford;5551679]
Quote:
Pro Tools may have advantages as an in-deep audio editor, I don't know as I only edit minimally in Logic Pro.

Regards,

Ty Ford
I've heard of similar issues with mixing in various DAWs, not just Logic X.

Can you clarify any about your report that "gain reduction devices don't show how much gain reduction you're using?" Sounds like key info, but I don't really understand that.

As it so happens I mix in Adobe Audition 90% of the time (just because I'm familiar with it) and I tend to master from a final mix as a separate step, sometimes in the stand-alone Izotope Ozone application. Even in Ozone and mastering, I fight what I feel it's pre-sets' tendency to "make sausages" (overly compressed and constantly-hitting-the-limiter audio that looks like a stuffed sausage in waveform view).

I often lament that my stuff is all self-engineered while I try to be the producer, the recording engineer, and at least one of the musicians at the same time (there are powerful reasons why these roles are usually separated in traditional professional recording practice). To the degree I can (and I can't watch the meters steadily if someone, or even myself, is changing volume during the recording) I try to keep levels low while recording (at 24 bit), moderate while mixing and only work to bring levels up during mastering.

Would such a practice (low levels when recording, moderate when mixing, and only "hot" when mastering) have prevented your issues in Logic X?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I did not know this!!!
the remote app comes free with logic! it makes recording so much easier.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
the remote app comes free with logic! it makes recording so much easier.

play music!
Do you mean easier as in having access to a project from multiple devices because it is stored in iCloud?
Or are there other recording advantages?
I have a MB Pro with an audio interface for recording. That's the only way I can connect quality mics, which is why I don't use either my iPad or iPhone, other than for quick little doodles where audio fidelity doesn't matter.
I don't have Logic, but was thinking about getting it for Christmas.
Thanks in advance for more info on your above point!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 11-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Do you mean easier as in having access to a project from multiple devices because it is stored in iCloud?
Or are there other recording advantages?
I have a MB Pro with an audio interface for recording. That's the only way I can connect quality mics, which is why I don't use either my iPad or iPhone, other than for quick little doodles where audio fidelity doesn't matter.
I don't have Logic, but was thinking about getting it for Christmas.
Thanks in advance for more info on your above point!
I think he is referring to easier because of being a "remote" control of DAW recording transport functions without having to be physically at your computer keyboard (at least that is what I was talking about )

For example what I do is get the session all set up and ready start recording on my Mac Pro tower that sits under the left side of my recording/mixing desk.

Then with the app on my iPad I can sit for guitar or stand for vocals , at my recording position, which is about 6 feet away from the computer and put the iPad on my music stand and just the use the app to trigger record / stop/ play and undo functions on the app, and do not have keep going to the computer .
When I am done I then go to the computer to mix on

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I think he is referring to easier because of being a "remote" control of DAW recording transport functions without having to be physically at your computer keyboard (at least that is what I was talking about )

For example what I do is get the session all set up and ready start recording on my Mac Pro tower that sits under the left side of my recording/mixing desk.

Then with the app on my iPad I can sit for guitar or stand for vocals , at my recording position, which is about 6 feet away from the computer and put the iPad on my music stand and just the use the app to trigger record / stop/ play and undo functions on the app, and do not have keep going to the computer .
When I am done I then go to the computer to mix on
Got it! Thanks for the reply and info Kev.
That does indeed make it more convenient. And a lot less cluttered around the recording area, which can get out of hand sometimes and make the process a lot more cumbersome than it should.
Pretty nifty!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-14-2017, 02:43 PM

I switched to Apple (from Linux) because of the photosoftware, Aperture. Then after couple years they dropped the software (there are no major upgrades anymore, although it still runs). Who says they won’t drop Logic?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspoel View Post
I switched to Apple (from Linux) because of the photosoftware, Aperture. Then after couple years they dropped the software (there are no major upgrades anymore, although it still runs). Who says they won’t drop Logic?
I suppose anything is possible, if for some reason supporting Logic begins to cost more than new sales justify, then possibly Apple could do something like they did with Aperture when they "pretended " that Photos replaced it . Like come up with "Garage Band Pro"

Supposedly the Photos app in High Sierra is much more extensive in editing, but since the file system is different than Sierra and earlier, Aperture may not even run on HS ????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspoel View Post
That's possible, of course. And possible with any other DAW too.

And regardless of software and software mortality, one could run the old software on an older computer with an older version of the operating system indefinitely, or until the hardware dies and is not easily repairable.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's possible, of course. And possible with any other DAW too.

And regardless of software and software mortality, one could run the old software on an older computer with an older version of the operating system indefinitely, or until the hardware dies and is not easily repairable.
Yes indeed I know of some Professional studios that are still running Pro Tools 10 and one still on PT 8 with old G4 mac towers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
imac, pro tools