The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic-electric vs. acoustic w/ soundhole pup

Hi all,

First, a bit of background: I'm primarily an electric bass player who has a Squier Jazzmaster to noodle around a bit, getting ready to jump into the acoustic arena for a variety of reasons.

At the moment, the Yamaha FG830 tops my short list. I'm also considering the FGX830C, the acoustic-electric version of the FG830 with cutaway. The advantage of the FGX is that it comes with pickup and preamp (and tuner, for what that's worth) for a $200 upcharge. The advantage of the FG830 is its light weight and slightly superior tone unplugged.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the FG830 and putting a SD Woody or DeArmond Boss Tone soundhole pickup in it for coffee house amplification. On the other hand, the FGX already comes with everything I'd need.

I'd welcome opinions and comments to help me wrestle with this issue. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 AM

If I were you I wouldnīt buy the one with pickup. Firstly it has a barndoor-preamp and secondly you can get better pickups as the preinstalled ones most of the time.

However, everyone has his own philosophy regarding amplification. If you donīt want to spend much, get a realistic tone and donīt play in very loud environments I would suggest that you get a passive Sound-board-trancducer (SBT) such as

- K&K Pure Western Mini
- Dazzo
- ... many other ones

You can combine it with a preamp or similar pedals such as

- Headway EDM1
- Boss GE-7
- ... many other options

There are many other possibilities like dual-source-systems, micing the guitar or mix a mic on a stand with your PU signal. You will have to figure out what works for you by yourself and sounds best to you. But the signal of a magnetic PU will be the least realistic.

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)
Old 10-10-2017, 12:03 PM

I would probably recommend getting the straight acoustic, and then adding a soundhole pup if you need it down the road. The on-board tuner is a nice feature, but you could get a Snark (or equivalent) for a few bucks and call it good. And if you're just noodling at home, you won't need the pickup at all.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I would probably recommend getting the straight acoustic, and then adding a soundhole pup if you need it down the road. The on-board tuner is a nice feature, but you could get a Snark (or equivalent) for a few bucks and call it good. And if you're just noodling at home, you won't need the pickup at all.
Well, I'm hoping to do some open mics but they usually have a mic for the guitar. I'm thinking the way to go is the "pure" acoustic as well. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:55 PM

If you can find a leftover FGX730SC, I highly recommend it. The ART pick-up is SOOO natural sounding if you don't like that piezo quack from most pickups. The Yamaha piezo pickups on the newer models still sound pretty good and not so quacky but the ART pickup sounds very very good. If you're going to play plugged in a lot, go for the FGX and the cutaway. Doing finger gymnastics is never fun whenever you're grooving.

I own all Yamaha acoustic electric guitars and I can attest the quality of their preamps, onboard tuners, and sound quality is very good. I get lots of compliments on the plugged in sound of my guitars.

Finally, your bass amp will work well with an acoustic guitar and I found that playing plugged in will help with your learning to fret out clean chords more so than quietly trying to pluck them out. Amplifying your sound can help lots early on to hear what chords need to be cleaned up.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 10-10-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:55 PM

Basic guitar plus Dazzo is what I'm doing, though I ended up with the 820 instead of the 830. Stick a bone saddle in it also.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:25 PM

Acoustic through a microphone is best, only if the person running the open mic knows what they are doing mixing your sound. It also requires proper microphone discipline from you to keep your proper instrument and voice positioning in front of the microphones for best sound quality, without acoustic feedback (squeal and howl). A strong passive aftermarket pickup system, such as the powerful K&K under soundboard piezoelectric transducers will allow you to run about 15' to 20' from the mixing console/powered mixer/powered speaker without sound quality loss and/or an active preamplifier
D.I. box or active equalizer to properly push the inputs. The Seymour Duncan Woody single coil sound hole pickup is in the gig bag pocket of all of my acoustic and acoustic electric instruments with a large sound hole. Any of your current bass amplifiers should suffice well with acoustic electric instruments.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to everyone for some great advice! FWIW, I'm beginning to consider the Yamaha LL6 as well - seems to be a really good value for not much more moola!

I'm pleased to hear that a good bass amp will suffice for acoustic amplification (I have a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and a three-way 15/6/1 LDS cab). I'd been planning to use my GB Black Pearl 30 as an amp...

...and no, I'm not a Genz Benz endorser - just a guy who likes their stuff!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification