The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 04:29 AM

Default London-based members: advise on the best stores for used acoustics

Hi!

London-based members, please advise on the best stores for used acoustics...
I want to purchase budget-guitar, used solid-top guitar would be fine....

Thank you!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 AM

Hi Schertier, sorry , I am just going to work now and don’t have time to write much.

In brief, I regret to tell you that London is a terrible place to try and find a cheap used acoustic in a shop.

Rents in London are VERY high and most of the stores carry very expensive guitars and maybe a range of new “budget” guitars.
They may sometimes have some cheaper used stuff, but that would be pure luck, there is nowhere I know of that you can go and choose from racks of them.

It would be helpful to know how much money you are willing to spend.
There are lots of decent guitars that can be bought new for about 5 or 6 hundred pounds, but that may not be your idea of “budget”.

Gotta go now, hopefully other UK members will chime in.

Good Luck ! Jon
Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 AM

Jon is correct; London is the worst place to shop for used guitars, and the prices will make you weep. A couple of hours on a train will get you to Frailers.

http://www.frailers.com/
Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 AM

Try Peach guitars in Colchester or PMT in Romford both sell Top end and cheaper guitars. If you go to Colchseter try Manns Music in the town center.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Hi I would recommend PMT for any price level they have stores located In most areas and offer great service and a really good range
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
Hi I would recommend PMT for any price level they have stores located In most areas and offer great service and a really good range
They are very expensive on many new guitars. Buy used if possible.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 PM

Knowing nothing about guitar shopping/buying on that side of the pond, aren't there online stores where he could order one and have it shipped? A European version of Musicians Friend or something like that?

Would seem like it would be cheaper than buying from a high overhead London store.

Off topic: When I retire we are going to take a couple of trips to Europe. One of them will surely be England/Ireland. I mentioned to the Mrs that one thing I'd love to do would be to browse around a couple of guitar shops in London and Liverpool.

She looked at me like I had 3 heads. "We would be going to England and you want to look at guitars?"

It's going to be a tough sell, I can see it already

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-19-2018 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 01-19-2018, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
When I retire we are going to take a couple of trips to Europe. One of them will surely be England/Ireland.
While you're here, you should get to Scotland and Wales too - beautiful scenery, great history.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-19-2018, 01:29 AM

Hello All,

Many thanks for ideas and links ....

Sorry, I would better write in a theme "stores in The UK" instead of London because the instrument easily can be delivered anywhere within Kingdom ...

London seems to have the same guitar prices but given in GBP ...... new Eastman PCH guitar costs $239 everywhere, but in London it costs 239 GBP ... different volume of money ....

So any small guitar store (with website) within UK would be just fine .....

Thank You !
Old 01-19-2018, 02:22 AM

I was in London recently and not sure if these would fall into your requirements - but worth investigating perhaps would be Folkies music in Kilburn, quite a large inventory in what appears at first to be a small store but there are rooms out the back and had a great chat to the owner(?) about restoring antique guitars. Also have a look at Hobgoblin in Fitzrovia, mostly new "budget" brand folk instruments (guitars, mandolins, banjos etc) but they had some used inventory downstairs too.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-19-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Jon is correct; London is the worst place to shop for used guitars, and the prices will make you weep. A couple of hours on a train will get you to Frailers.

http://www.frailers.com/

I've known Frank for a lifetime, and there are always some gems on the wall - but you have to really know your stuff before buying a guitar at Frailers - a lot of the used guitars are bulk imported from the USA, and as you might expect the odd duff guitar gets through.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:21 AM

Try Thomann in Germany for mail order
Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I've known Frank for a lifetime, and there are always some gems on the wall - but you have to really know your stuff before buying a guitar at Frailers - a lot of the used guitars are bulk imported from the USA, and as you might expect the odd duff guitar gets through.
Yes, I bought a very nice Martin CEO-5 from him, along with an '84 D-28 around 10 years ago, but a Gibson ES135 I bought was an appalling mess and had to be returned.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

For an American visiting he UK - buying musical instruments is really the wrong way to go. Two reasons - shipping costs and Excise duties on import and 20% tax (note some dealer can do paper work to exclude VAT on more expensive purchases.

When in London you shold visit Denmark Street, just to say you've been but as said don;t expect any bargains.

Also Macaris in Charing Cross.

For very high price stuff - The North American Guitar in N1.

If you like the hustle bustle of towns and cities - visit Brighton and go see TAMCO (30% off all new guitars) but ring Trevor first though.
Brighton is a very interesting town to visit! Aslo, whilse you are there seek out GAK in the old Laines Mass box shifter but have some good cheap stuff.

If you are traveling to the Nederlands - Check out TFOA (The Fellowship of Acoustics) - but I'm afraid I counsel against trying to do business with Thomans.

Last thought - Guitar Village in Farnham a few miles wet of London always have a good selection.

I suggest you check them all out online to get an idea of the kind of dealer they are.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
For an American visiting he UK - buying musical instruments is really the wrong way to go. Two reasons - shipping costs and Excise duties on import and 20% tax (note some dealer can do paper work to exclude VAT on more expensive purchases.

When in London you shold visit Denmark Street, just to say you've been but as said don;t expect any bargains.

Also Macaris in Charing Cross.

For very high price stuff - The North American Guitar in N1.

If you like the hustle bustle of towns and cities - visit Brighton and go see TAMCO (30% off all new guitars) but ring Trevor first though.
Brighton is a very interesting town to visit! Aslo, whilse you are there seek out GAK in the old Laines Mass box shifter but have some good cheap stuff.

If you are traveling to the Nederlands - Check out TFOA (The Fellowship of Acoustics) - but I'm afraid I counsel against trying to do business with Thomans.

Last thought - Guitar Village in Farnham a few miles wet of London always have a good selection.

I suggest you check them all out online to get an idea of the kind of dealer they are.
You must have had a bad experience with Thomann; I've dealt with them for several years with no issue whatsoever. Prompt delivery, parcel tracking information sent straight to my phone and a good return/refund policy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion