The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Ha! Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
That's why I agreed with you in my first post.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:48 PM

Also: I record tube amps into tube pres all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
With respect to personal preferences, I cannot agree with this statement. It's done all the time by both professionals and experienced home recordists. Tube mic preamps vary in tone. So do SS mic preamps. Either can be clean or colored based on the circuit design. YMMV.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:50 PM

Well I didn't have a lot of time to tinker with this today, but I did a little and your posts have me on the right track, I think.

First I found a PDF of the Nady manual online and have been studying it, and also reading again the manual for the Ammoon.
It's clear the Ammoon is a cheap device, it has a lot of hiss that comes thru, at least with "starter" knob settings - and, the brochure (can't really call it a manual) is in Chinglish with misspellings and obvious errors.

I did start to understand the Nady more and how the signal routing works. The various controls and outputs for Main, Aux, Stereo Out, Phones and Control Room are confusing.

Between that and moving the mic closer to the amp I am getting a decent signal to my laptop.
In fact, I flipped the mic around and to within 8 inches of an acoustic guitar and it picked that up pretty well, too.

I'll have to read up on those D/A interfaces, plus I'd have to save up until it fits the budget.
I'm just glad it seems like I have a workable setup for now, just need to play with the knobs more.
(Just recording my practice sessions mostly, for learning purposes. Not quite ready to 'drop a single', lol.)
Old 12-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYRN View Post
Well I didn't have a lot of time to tinker with this today, but I did a little and your posts have me on the right track, I think.

First I found a PDF of the Nady manual online and have been studying it, and also reading again the manual for the Ammoon.
It's clear the Ammoon is a cheap device, it has a lot of hiss that comes thru, at least with "starter" knob settings - and, the brochure (can't really call it a manual) is in Chinglish with misspellings and obvious errors.

I did start to understand the Nady more and how the signal routing works. The various controls and outputs for Main, Aux, Stereo Out, Phones and Control Room are confusing.

Between that and moving the mic closer to the amp I am getting a decent signal to my laptop.
In fact, I flipped the mic around and to within 8 inches of an acoustic guitar and it picked that up pretty well, too.

I'll have to read up on those D/A interfaces, plus I'd have to save up until it fits the budget.
I'm just glad it seems like I have a workable setup for now, just need to play with the knobs more.
(Just recording my practice sessions mostly, for learning purposes. Not quite ready to 'drop a single', lol.)
Good sounds like the problem is indeed in correctly setting the three gain stage settings on the mixer. So keep playing with the "trim" and "gain" controls on the channel strip, and the Master Mix out .

So for now understand you do not "need" either an additional pre amp or an additional DA interface, per se .....(Note there are already both D/A and A/D converters in your computer sound card.)
Of course going forward in the future a good combo D/A - A/D and mic pre interface (depending on budget and which one ) can bring an improvement in the quality of both the mic pres and the conversion. But for now as you say for "learning" focus on getting a decent signal level with what you have. Bringing that basic knowledge forward will make any future improvements in gear all the more beneficial.

As far as the confusion about the controls on the Nady ( it's just a matter of understanding the terminology) perhaps this will help --- think of an electrical signal flow like water flow .

Picture the Mixer as simply like a basic control panel for a water distribution system with a number of separate supply hoses coming in ( the channels in this case 6 ) and a number and tubes with inflow and outflow connections and valves for controlling pressure/signal flow

The Trim controls (valves) on 1&2 , controls how much signal is coming into that channel (quote from the user manual) " The best balance of S/N and dynamic range will be achieved if you adjust the TRIM control on each channel separately so that the Peak Indicator LED (7) for that channel lights occasionally"

The gain knobs at the bottom of each channel control how much flow goes from that channel to the (Main) Master Mix Bus (think of this Bus as a distribution tank of sorts with input connections and output connections)

Then from the Mix bus the flow can either go out the Master Mix knob /valve
or out to secondary valves/knobs to go to the HP or Control Room Aux etc. (so those levels can be independent) of the Master Mix level

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-28-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
As far as the confusion about the controls on the Nady ( it's just a matter of understanding the terminology) perhaps this will help --- think of an electrical signal flow like water flow .

Picture the Mixer as simply like a basic control panel for a water distribution system with a number of separate supply hoses coming in ( the channels in this case 6 ) and a number and tubes with inflow and outflow connections and valves for controlling pressure/signal flow

The Trim controls (valves) on 1&2 , controls how much signal is coming into that channel (quote from the user manual) " The best balance of S/N and dynamic range will be achieved if you adjust the TRIM control on each channel separately so that the Peak Indicator LED (7) for that channel lights occasionally"

The gain knobs at the bottom of each channel control how much flow goes from that channel to the (Main) Master Mix Bus (think of this Bus as a distribution tank of sorts with input connections and output connections)

Then from the Mix bus the flow can either go out the Master Mix knob /valve
or out to secondary valves/knobs to go to the HP or Control Room Aux etc. (so those levels can be independent) of the Master Mix level
Great explanation!
You either have the same mixer or you took the trouble to download and read the manual - either way I really appreciate the legwork and it's a fine example of what makes this forum great; members helping each other!
😃
Old 12-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

I just googled the manual on opened it . I'm retired and I got lot help over the years, so just payin' it forward

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD