The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM

Another interesting detail, the power supply that comes with the Mugig has a clipping indicator. Weird but interesting and useful to know how often you're pulling max power.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Well, I'm looking forward to more usage reports and comparisons with others battery amps like the AC33.

But meanwhile, I put in a buy price notification in case Amazon drops the price again. I set it for $95 instead of $85 figuring $85 may not come around again--that was a great price.

I expect more usage reports will come in before the price drops, and I promised myself I won't pursue it further until I hear more user experience.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Well, I'm looking forward to more usage reports and comparisons with others battery amps like the AC33.

But meanwhile, I put in a buy price notification in case Amazon drops the price again. I set it for $95 instead of $85 figuring $85 may not come around again--that was a great price.

I expect more usage reports will come in before the price drops, and I promised myself I won't pursue it further until I hear more user experience.
This isn't really fair competition. The AC33, besides being a $400 amp, is much larger and heavier. I'd say the Mugig performs admirably in its size and weight class and may even outdo the Vox Mini5 Rhythm volume wise but the AC33 is, In most respects, a better amp (it still ducks the guitar under the vocal when you sing loud, which the Mugig doesnt).

I'd like to explain something about the way I see battery powered amps. I use the Fishman Loudbox Mini as a sort of baseline reference because it lives in a demonstrable place on the evolutionary scale of good PA speakers. The way I see it, the LBX mini sounds like an inexpensive version of something like a Meyer UPM1. Its warm and inviting, has elements of truly HiFi sounding presentation. Doesn't balk when you run it loud and yet is small, light, reasonably priced and well known to sound good (certainly not true of the Meyer, other than the known to sound good part but what can you do). That its not battery powered is an expensive problem to fix but it can be done within what some would consider reasonable size, weight and expense.

Battery powered amps are of another evolutionary scale and the beginnings of that scale start with the toystore and move up from there. To my mind, amps like this Mugig fit well in comparison on this scale but have no place in any comparison to an excellent PA speaker. Roland amps rub me the wrong way because, though they're typically very expensive, their lineage is to the toystore. That includes the AC33 and the KC110. They're not absolutely terrible products but they're certainly, at least for me, not good products either. They sound inviting at low to middling volumes but that's pretty much all they're capable of.

To my mind, when evaluating these amps like this Mugig, you start with no expectation of good and work your way to surprise as compared to what I expect from $400-600/amps, which is to compete directly with the LBX mini.

So not that anyone asked, I just thought that my appraisal of amps might seem confusing to some but to me, it makes sense because of the way I see these amps and what they're related to best.

Last edited by dannyg1; 06-29-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:26 PM

Understand. I never expected the Mugig to be on the same level as the AC33, I just threw out a name I was familiar with.

I'm hoping that the Mugig has good output, if not equal to the AC33, then reasonably good at least. I'm hoping people comment on that.

Yes, for the price, I don't expect all the power of the bigger units, but if others find it fills reasonably sized rooms with decent sound, then I expect that for $100 or so, it's a great and useful buy.

I don't have professional concert needs at all.

The more experienced user comments I read, the better I will be able to judge whether the buy is something I should do or not.

Thanks in advance for those that have the unit and can fill in the picture for us who do not (yet) have.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:31 PM

It does have surprisingly good output and it sounds good when you push it. For what it is, I think its a very good amp. For it's size and weight, its excellent and yes, I own one.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
It does have surprisingly good output and it sounds good when you push it. For what it is, I think its a very good amp. For it's size and weight, its excellent and yes, I own one.
Good to hear. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 PM

I plugged in at a.clubhouse that is roughly 40x50 with 12 ft ceilings, now mind you there was just me and my daughter there master at 3/4 , vocal and c acoustic at 60% and it was plenty loud
Later was said she could hear music being played but was low, she was outside setting next to a loud pool, her lounger was by a closed window
I can see this being used for coffee shops, parks, less noisey places, busking, it like 13in by 5in by 7in and weights like 10lbs or less, you can play music through the USB or Aux in or even the bluetooth, I really feel this is a no brainier for even $129, heck nothing is the same league considering price
Old 06-30-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I plugged in at a.clubhouse that is roughly 40x50 with 12 ft ceilings, now mind you there was just me and my daughter there master at 3/4 , vocal and c acoustic at 60% and it was plenty loud
Later was said she could hear music being played but was low, she was outside setting next to a loud pool, her lounger was by a closed window
I can see this being used for coffee shops, parks, less noisey places, busking, it like 13in by 5in by 7in and weights like 10lbs or less, you can play music through the USB or Aux in or even the bluetooth, I really feel this is a no brainier for even $129, heck nothing is the same league considering price
Thanks both of you. Really sounds like a go for the price. I've never heard of another discussed at this price range that comes close.

Since I know Amazon changes prices drastically from time to time--I put a watch on this item since I'm not in a hurry. When it drops and I get notified by email, I'll get it. If I do end up with a pressing need to have one immediately, I'll just get it at the current price. It's still a good deal.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:07 PM

still hoping someone can give me some feedback on this
my question is how is the bass response. i play 7 string acoustic with my .080 flatwound going down to g below guitar e.
not expecting it to boom like a bass amp but does it hold it's own or just break up?
Old 10-15-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Recording to usb stick with Mugig BM25

So first I love this thing. Had it for a day. Still haven't charged it. The light is still blue after over 11 hours! Question... 3300 mah battery with a 2000mah charger would suggest to me that two hours should give a full charge... Yah?

To the point though... Recording with the BM25. Haven't figured out how to understand the beeps/blinking lights to understand if I have done it right.

USB is in port and I hit and hold the play button until it says "Record"

So is is now recording or do I have to hit something else?

Color me confused... Everything else I think I have figured out...

Also I am using and electric guitar through an iphone with Amplitube using an iRig2 adapter to send the processed signal into the amp's acoustic channel without effects... perfect but I would like to still record....

Chris Johnson

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-16-2017 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 10-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Are you saying that this amp includes the ability to make recordings?

Or, is it that you can plug in a recording device using USB?

either way - seems like you should be able to make a test recording and see if it is possible to play it back, either direct from the amp or the device you plugged in.

I was frustrated by the lack of a user guide online - all the search results end up at amazon or ebay.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 10-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I was frustrated by the lack of a user guide online - all the search results end up at amazon or ebay.
The tiny user manual that comes with it reads like an Ikea-made-in-China translation.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-17-2017, 06:41 PM

Default 2 days later...

I meant it records sound, noise as it were but not the clean tones that it produces as an amp.

Quick questions though I''m already returning mine since the charger or battery is defective... was anyone else confused over how to charge? Does it have to be off to charge? Can you use it in AC mode or does it always have to run off of battery? Did the so-called DSP effects work right for others? are others able to record using the record function without blasting the sound?

Finally, should I get this again or should I cut my losses and go with another amp that is wired? I like the bluetooth and the battery is nice but useless if it can't be used on AC... For my purposes at least... Any ideas on a good replacement for this in the price range that is just a AC electric guitar amp?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 AM

It can be used on AC, and I assume the battery charges at the same time.
The FX worked for me, right out of the box.

I haven't tried the USB, and can't imagine a situation where I would want to use it.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPKML View Post
I meant it records sound, noise as it were but not the clean tones that it produces as an amp.
I would be really surprised if you can record through the USB. That is a whole other feature set that I doubt would be included. Plus, I haven't seen that listed anywhere as a feature of this amp. I think the USB is only for playback and maybe charging.

Maybe I'm wrong though....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification