The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar piezo pickup problem

Hello all, hey, my piezo pickup in my Yamaha A3R broke, let me ask, are all these under the saddle Piezo pickups about the same, is the one in the new Yamaha A series any different than your normal piezo, I will have to have a new one put in and was wondering if I should just go ahead and order the same one, or go ahead and upgrade.
Thanks for your help
John

Last edited by floridartist; 12-21-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM

Of course without a pic, it difficult to visualize what you are asking regarding replacement or repair but bear this in mind....

Piezo elements do NOT like heat. Nothing causes total failure like too much heat from a soldering iron.

If a connection is to be made right on the element itself, consider using a silver impregnated conductive type of epoxy found at electronics hobby stores.

Most piezo elements are basically the same aside from the various saddle sizes of course.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridartist View Post
Hello all, hey, my piezo pickup in my Yamaha A3R broke, I guess I did it, when I was messing around with my saddle, let me ask, are all these under the saddle Piezo pickups about the same, is the one in the new Yamaha A series any different than your normal piezo, I will have to have a new one put in and was wondering if I should just go ahead and order the same one, or go ahead and upgrade. Or, solder it, this piezo has two wires, one wire has white coating, it must o to the copper, the other is uncoated, I just dont know where it connects too. I even have a good picture, but I dont know how to put it on this post,
Thanks for your help
John
Send me the picture in my email: [email protected]

I do this kind of work. The Piezo should be separated from the saddle so taking the saddle off should not damage the piezo. The only thing i can think of..is you disconnected the wiring from the jack. Honestly, you just have to solder it back on. I would not replace the pickup unless you damaged the actual sensor. The preamp will take any undersaddle piezo pickup. If you did damage the piezo, i would replace it with a cheap deal from Arctec or even Fishman thinline. The impulse generator inside the Yamaha will replace offending frequencies coming from the pickup anyways so cheap or expensive pickup, your going to get the same results.

The pickup in the Yamaha 3 series is by far the best pickup and preamp combination i have came across other than Fishman. The Fishman Matrix pickup and Aura preamp work the same as the Yamaha pickup and preamp engineering combination. Its all microphone impulse technology. Honestly, the stock pickup with out the modeling being used on the Yamaha, sounded better than most stock piezos ive heard from Fishman, LR Baggs and other leading brands.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Hello and thank you for the reply, I called Yamaha, they are sending me a new piezo for my A3R, and from your replys, I have learned so much, I had a feeling there was something a little more special about the new A series piezo pickups, I called Yamahaand they sent me a decent diagram of the whole SRT, and said it cost $144 bucks, wow, the next day I talked to customer service, the guy said he has one and will mail it to me, free, that was a better deal, so I guess its on the way.
What has me concerned is, with the broken piezo in the guitar, the onboard tuner does not work, plugged in or un plugged, I hope this solves all the problem, I learned you have to treat the piezo very carefully, treat it like gold,
Thanks for you help everyone
John

Last edited by floridartist; 12-21-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridartist View Post
Hello and thank you for the reply, I guess I totally distroyed my piezo, I am not very good at this sort of thing, I called Yamaha, they are sending me a new piezo for my A3R, and from your replys, I have learned so much, I had a feeling there was something a little more special about the new A series piezo pickups, I called Yamaha, the first girl I talked to send me the diagram, and said it cost $144 bucks, wow, the next day I talked to customer service, the guy said he has one and will mail it to me, free, that was a better deal, so I guess its on the way.
What has ne concerned is, with the broken piezo in the guitar, the onboard tuner does not work, plugged in or un plugged, I hope this solves all the problem, I learned you have to treat the piezo very carefully, treat it like gold.
Thanks for you help everyone
John
I wish they sold the pickups and preamp separate because i would buy one. May just call them and ask. Really want it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification