The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-30-2014, 03:50 PM

Default Fret leveling

Let's say I wanted to level the fret the d string makes contact with. Would miss up other parts of the fret. If I only file that part of the fret would the other string be effected?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Smile

First, why do want to level one fret? That's usually a bad idea, fret leveling needs to cover the entire fretboard.
On the offhand chance you have a high spot on one fret, you can file that down without affecting the other strings, but you have to verify that's really the problem.
It would help if we knew what problem you are trying to solve, and were a little more clear with your question. This isn't a spelling or grammar forum, but they do help with written communication.
et al
Old 07-30-2014, 04:23 PM

I have a high spot on the 16th fret on the d string. Doesn't buzz anywhere else. I just want to file some high spots. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar344 View Post
I have a high spot on the 16th fret on the d string. Doesn't buzz anywhere else. I just want to file some high spots.
Sure it isn't a kink in a string??

I, too, was puzzled by your first post. It is usually best to blend frets when levelling, so yes, you can just work on a small area as you are mentioning (if it is indeed the fret), but you'll want to blend it so your file or block/sandpaper just starts to nick the lower and higher fret, and you should blend gently across the radius of the f.board as well.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Check it with a fret rocker to be sure it's a high fret (any straightedge that spans 3 frets will work), and also check that the fret is fully seated before you start filing. Follow Mr. Milburn's advice, and you should be fine.

It could be that you chase the buzz up the fretboard, but it not that many frets.
et al
Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 PM

Default Fret leveling

If you change the height of just one spot on a fret, wouldn't you essentially be doing the exact opposite of fret leveling? By basic definition, fret leveling implies that the height of all frets match a trued planes across the entire fretboard (also considering desired radiuses).
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM

I spot level sometimes (instead of a full level and crown)but I level them across several frets. I have tried lowering just one fret and have regretted it every time.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM

Do you bend a lot at the 15th fret? Possibly that fret has more wear.
Check it with a straight edge to see where the problem is.

If that one fret is too high, it's either came loose or not seated right from the builder. Glue it down if loose or you can do a light level on it.

If the 15th fret is worn down, then a light level and crown will fix it, if not correct other issues that you could not be noticing.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 PM

The fifteenth fret is sounding the sixteenth fret. That leads me to believe the sixteenth fret is high that it's catching on to the string.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:18 AM

You probably just need to get your hammer out and give the fret it's buzzing on a whack or too. You may find that you then need to follow this up the neck. If it's loose then tape it off and wick some thin CA in under the fret and hold it tight for 30 seconds. If after that it still buzz's then you need to dress the area. Dressing one fret is not easy, possible? yeah sure maybe, but not a good idea.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 AM

Before filing any frets make sure they are all seated properly and none are loose.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair