The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 PM

Default OM Build Carpathian/Rosewood with Amboyna Burl Rosette

Hello AGFers.

I have a build thread going over at another forum but thought I'd share some pics here since my last build got a few replies... You may remember this last build, a D28ish dread, BRW/Sitka. I play it every day and I love it!

My latest build is an OM, it is my 3rd acoustic build. Here are the specs:
English Walnut neck with IRW neck stringer
EIRW Back and Sides
Carpathian Spruce Top
Amboyna burl rosette, wholly inspired by Jason Kostal's designs
Board, overlay, bindings Ebony

Here are some pics!

Neck Materials

Soundboard braced up. Not sure if Bruce Sexauer makes it to this side of the forum but the tonebar placement is a page from his book. I saw it in one of his build threads and it seemed to make more sense than the parallel bars to me.

The back is lovely, lots of character.

Here are the end wedge and rosette, Amboyna Burl.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:56 AM

I dig that rosette and end graft!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:17 PM

Thanks redir, here is the fingerboard - I tried to get a complimentary scheme going here. I actually spent tonight doing some rescue work on the 12th fret markers. I had to sand the bottom of the board down a bit to tweak the neck angle ever so slightly and sanded through the white purfling - I think it looks ok now.

The design

Without the purfling and binding

Here are a couple shots of putting that rosette together...

Old 06-09-2014, 11:17 PM

Here is the neck, I used English Walnut with an Indian Rosewood stringer.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 AM

I just noticed that D28ish dread back looks like it's wearing a tie
Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I just noticed that D28ish dread back looks like it's wearing a tie
I've had a number of comments on what people thought that looked like, but you're the first to say a tie!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:21 PM

This build was on the backburner for a while but I've started french polishing and thought I'd share some photos...

Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 PM

The "random" assortment of shapes for fingerboard position markers looks really nice! (Hope you don't mind that I might borrow the concept sometime in the future. ;-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-17-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
The "random" assortment of shapes for fingerboard position markers looks really nice! (Hope you don't mind that I might borrow the concept sometime in the future. ;-)
Hi Ned, I'd be honoured I'm sure I probably borrowed the idea myself - though I can't remember specifics. It's most likely a blend of different ideas I've seen here on the AGF!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Nice guitar Murray! Love the look of the burl rosette and end graft....
Old 07-22-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Nice guitar Murray! Love the look of the burl rosette and end graft....
Thanks Louie, I'm really pleased with it and appreciate the comment. Won't be long before I get some stings on it. I'll post some sound clips when I do!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:05 AM

Simply beautiful! I love the mosaic effect and the color balance and texture contrast between the EIR and the Amboya burl. I really like that end graft!

I am in the early stages of a EIR/Carpathian build (dreadnought) and have been debating on what to do with the trim. You may have just inspired me!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Simply beautiful! I love the mosaic effect and the color balance and texture contrast between the EIR and the Amboya burl. I really like that end graft!

I am in the early stages of a EIR/Carpathian build (dreadnought) and have been debating on what to do with the trim. You may have just inspired me!
Thanks for your compliments. I am really pleased with the esthetics but they aren't as originally planned... I have a short story about this - the back and sides were originally planned to be Guatemalan Rosewood, which was much more red with much less contrast than the EIR has to the Amboyna. The set had a great tap tone but was rift to flatsawn. I was going to use cocobolo binding/headplate. I broke the sides quite badly during bending and the whole thing flew out the window. I used the EiR set I still had and agonized about the cosmetic appointments for DAYS - coco? EIR? Koa? . Finally I had a buddy over and he spotted ebony binding in my little binding stash and he just said - 'Dude? Use the black stuff!' Of course it all made sense and I have 0 regrets. I don't know about tone but I doubt I'll ever make a prettier guitar!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 PM

I forgot to mention, you should do a build thread on that dread!!! I'd love to see it. I wish there were more build threads here in the BUILD and repair section.

I don't feel my builds belong in the holy halls of the Custom Shop as I am an amateur and there are some really special things going on over there. I aspire to one day have a build that fits in over there - those guys are my inspiration.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Hunt View Post
I forgot to mention, you should do a build thread on that dread!!! I'd love to see it. I wish there were more build threads here in the BUILD and repair section.

I don't feel my builds belong in the holy halls of the Custom Shop as I am an amateur and there are some really special things going on over there. I aspire to one day have a build that fits in over there - those guys are my inspiration.
I started one a while back but it was only in the early stages and I hadn't completed my previous build so it got back-burnered and the thread sank. Maybe I'll start it up again once I start making progress. I still haven't what to use for the binding, though I'm trying to keep it simple and use serviced parts. For instance, I intend to use pre bent herringbone purfling so I'm going for a more "traditional" look. I'm leaning toward maple.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair