The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-28-2014, 03:51 PM

Default Truss rod travel?

So I bought a used E10SS a few weeks back and just got around to doing a basic set up.

The total travel on the adjustment is about 3/4 of turn. Should I expect more, or does less than 1 turn seem normal? I don't know what type of truss rod is in the guitar (single or dual action).

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Added measurements:

Fully CW - .002 relief @ 7th Fret
Full CCW - .006 @ 7th Fret

Seems bound up in either direction, and I don't want to force the issue at this point.

Suggestions?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 PM

FWIW - I put a few drops pf penetrating oil down the hole, and turned the guitar upside down for a couple hours. Working the wrench back and forth, in addition to trying to gently coaxing the neck, I can now get 1 full turn max.

I read one older post here that a properly working truss rod should be able achieve a range of .000 to .020 of relief. This is not even close. At this point, I can achieve .009 relief @ the 7th fret. Fret buzz up the neck has improved, but not totally eliminated. Starts at about the 4th / 5th fret, only on the wound strings.

I don't consider myself a "light" picker, but I don't play all the hard either. I've checked to see if it's buzzing behind the fret, not the case. The action at the 12th fret is 3/32. Might have to raise it a hair.

Personally I don't like the feel over .010. I'm going to try increasing the tension by changing to medium lights and see what happens. I'm not sure if that would be an exercise in diminishing returns, but I'll find out.

This is the first short scale guitar I've owned, might have something to do with what I'm running into.

Pete

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair