The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-20-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
You are describing the Deluxe Reverb IMO. It's the king.
I will check those out along with the 65 PRRE.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I will check those out along with the 65 PRRI.
If you're looking in the Princeton/Deluxe size and power range check out a Bugera V22 first; while it's got a bit of a British accent as it comes from the factory (albeit cleaner - more "posh" if you will - as well as a couple hundred less expensive than the similar Vox AC15), that's easily rectified (pun intended) with a speaker/tube swap. Good thing if you're just getting into tube amps is that it's exceptionally low-maintenance - the Infinium circuitry not only alerts you when your tubes are going on the fritz, but allows you to swap power tubes at will without the need for a bias job (simply put, matching/optimizing the new tubes to the amp's circuitry - about $100+/- in my neck of the woods); unlike the Princeton/Deluxe you've also got the option of powering down for home practice and balancing the pre-gain/master, to dial in the exact tone you want with as much clean headroom/volume as you need. May not be your cuppa tea - you can't please everybody - but objectively speaking there's a lot going on for under $400 street, and it's well worth a try on that basis alone...
Old 08-20-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I will check those out along with the 65 PRRE.
I like the smaller Vox amps. Nice cleans and nice overdrive. The Vox AC10 is very affordable ($450) and gets a lot of love over at the Tele forum. You can get the Vox AC4HW1 (with discount) for about $640 (awesome hand wired amp)!

Another option is a 5e3 fender Tweed Deluxe build. You can get a chassis build from someone like Jim at Lil Dawg amps for only $580, a Lunchbox for $650, or a 1X12 (with Mather cab!) for $980. These boutique builds are superior to the mass produced PCB + MDF amps in many ways...IMO.

If you go with the chassis or lunchbox version you will have to either buy or build a 1 x 10 or 1 x 12 extension cab. Put a Weber or Warehouse speaker in it, and you are only out about $150.

OTOH, both the PH and PRRE are also good choices.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I like the smaller Vox amps. Nice cleans and nice overdrive. The Vox AC10 is very affordable ($450) and gets a lot of love over at the Tele forum. You can get the Vox AC4HW1 (with discount) for about $640 (awesome hand wired amp)!

Another option is a 5e3 fender Tweed Deluxe build. You can get a chassis build from someone like Jim at Lil Dawg amps for only $580, a Lunchbox for $650, or a 1X12 (with Mather cab!) for $980. These boutique builds are superior to the mass produced PCB + MDF amps in many ways...IMO.

If you go with the chassis or lunchbox version you will have to either buy or build a 1 x 10 or 1 x 12 extension cab. Put a Weber or Warehouse speaker in it, and you are only out about $150.

OTOH, both the PH and PRRE are also good choices.
The AC10 would work, but I'm sorry, a 5E3 is NOT a good choice for clean sounds. The excel at organic crunch and overdrive - that is the signature tweed sound.

I agree that there are a lot of options if you go with hand built by small builders and they are generally better in most regards but a 5E3 would not be one of my picks for clean tones.

Small builder amps also lose value like crazy. Fenders hold value extremely well (comparatively).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Thanks guy's. I think I would like to stick to familiar brands. Just because it's going to be hard for me to find and play others and they are easier to sell if I decide to try something different. So is a HSS probably the best option for the range of tones I'm looking for? Would a standard MIM or American strat or tell cover all the bases I'm looking for?
Yes, in a word. Go HSS at the start to get the rock sound. Or you have to upgrade and all that costs more money. The MIM Strat will make you very happy with the HSS. American Strats are better, the pickups are better and there are 2 more frets I believe...for those Gilmour soaring solos. But you will pay triple the amount for your US Strat. Used, maybe a deal, but used US Strats that are priced under $1K are rare and are grabbed fast.

Strat is the most versatile guitar out there. Good for anything.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Yes, in a word. Go HSS at the start to get the rock sound. Or you have to upgrade and all that costs more money. The MIM Strat will make you very happy with the HSS. American Strats are better, the pickups are better and there are 2 more frets I believe...for those Gilmour soaring solos. But you will pay triple the amount for your US Strat. Used, maybe a deal, but used US Strats that are priced under $1K are rare and are grabbed fast.

Strat is the most versatile guitar out there. Good for anything.
That's why G&L makes all the more sense. My US legacy has more attention to detail, a better trem system, and you can find them used all day for $700.

Here's a demo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
new guitar, versitle