The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-23-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Takamine buzz

My first post although I do admit to being a long time lurker.

For my own enjoyment I play an old battered Takamine dual guitar which I bought second hand some 20 years ago. I keep feeling that I should move on but the fact that it's tone appears to be improving year on year and we've been thru a lot together, I have no desire to replace it.

However, I play it thru a Fishman loudbox mini in public and, the last time I plugged it in, there was a buzzing noise thru the amp which increased markedly when I just touched the bottom E string. It really was uncomfortably loud and the guitar was unplayable. This has never happened before.

Any ideas? I am small boat cruising the Greek islands this summer and guitar techs are thin on the ground. I have checked all the connections I can see but that really is the limit of my knowledge really.

Is this finally a parting of the ways?
Old 06-23-2017, 12:39 PM

It sounds like the transducer system has shorted it's output to the low E string and maybe all the strings to some extent. It is not unusual for the insulators and/or shields on a piezo system to eventually wear out. It probably needs to be replaced and is not likely hard work, but getting the replacement part might be a problem.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-30-2017, 06:45 PM

My 92 EF341C had the E and B occasionally drop out all together. I ended up dismantling the entire pickup by carefully removing it piece by piece. I used deoxit on the metal strip that sits under the saddle and anything else electronic. Reassembled and it's been problem free ever since. You should be able to do the same. Good luck.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 07-01-2017, 01:36 AM

Yep. Electronics can be fixed or replaced. It doesn't have to mean that you need to replace the whole guitar.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair