The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-22-2017, 04:42 PM
G625 mistral-k

Default Why my guitar gently weeps - The slow, secret death of the six-string electric guitar

Interesting article sent to me about the electric guitar market, declining sales, the reasons why, and what is being done to change the trend. In the article, it stated acoustic guitar sales surpassed electric guitar sales for the first time in 2010. It was interesting learn that occurred however I am curious to the trend in acoustics versus what is discussed in the article regarding the electric guitar market.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.14c6f200dff0
Old 06-22-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

That is a great article - a must read if you play guitar of any sort - CK
Old 06-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I think McCartney summed it up..."Now, it’s more electronic music and kids listen differently," McCartney says. "They don’t have guitar heroes like you and I did."
Old 06-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
That is a great article - a must read if you play guitar of any sort - CK
Not sure why this rates a 'great'. It's factual and to the point. It is what it is.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-22-2017, 08:12 PM

All the stuff that my friends and I liked as young people is kind of going out of style now - motorcycles, guitars, games like pool, foosball, bowling. People have different interests now. Not worse, just different. I can see that this may negatively impact collectors who bought their instruments as investments, but such is the risk with most investments.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 PM

I blame Sgt. Pepper for proving that the superior compositional instrument is the studio and not the guitar.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 PM

Things change.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:33 PM

It peaked that's all ...it has to be forgotten to be reinvented.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Good article. Thanks for sharing the link.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:44 AM

They need to find out when the guitar market out paced the mandolin market. My dad bought a mandolin when he was 12 in 1937 because it was cool. I'd guess in the late '40s to early '50s.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:38 AM
Guest4562

Doesn't matter. I play the guitar to play the things I want to play. If the current music is not guitar based, I don't care. I haven't heard much - make that anything - in today's music which, were I not already a musician, would make me want to become one. If that means I can't get gigs, OK, I'll play at home. Besides, if the guitar market slows down the current stock will be cheaper.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 AM

Yes but then a guy like Mateus Asato comes along. Interesting to note that he sounds like a cross between Hendrix and Candyrat. Expect a boost in sales for pinkish HSS strats :-)

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 06-23-2017, 05:13 AM
Guitar Gourmet

These things go in cycles. When I entered the industry as a recording engineer back in 1981, a guitarist couldn't get arrested, much less a job. Jangly MIDI keys (Yamaha DX7) were the "latest thing" in music. In the mid -80s Eddie VanHalen brought back a bubble. In the early '90s Grunge brought back a bubble. At the end of the '90s, the return of the bands from the '70s brought back a bubble. Starting around 2010 Americana has brought back a bubble. We'll see about long-range trends. I'm still playing sessions so someone is still using guitar, and specifically, electric guitar.

But I agree about one thing: there are no cultural "guitar gods" anymore, and music is now a secondary influence in society. When you hear it, it is always tied to something else - visual arts, dance, performance arts, documentaries, etc. And that is exactly where the work is coming from for me.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:14 AM

Interesting read, but I'm not sure all the logic holds up. They talk about the lack of guitar heroes and then end with a bit about how Taylor Swift is bringing legions of new female players into the market.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 06-23-2017, 06:34 AM

Default Death of the electric guitar article

I thought this was a good article because as a teacher I've experienced exactly what it talks about. 15 years ago teenagers came in and we're inspired by Guitar Hero and guitarists like Jimmy Page and Slash etc. and now a lot of them are into pop which has very little guitar if at all or modern country songs where the guitar and solo's are fading in the background. Don't get me wrong there's still some fine young guitarists out there but the electric guitar as of right now is fading into history unless something or someone comes along and inspires the younger generation.

I thought this quotes summed it up nicely

"Andy Mooney, the Fender CEO, calls Swift “the most influential guitarist of recent years.” “I don’t think that young girls looked at Taylor and said, ‘I’m really impressed by the way she plays G major arpeggios.’ ” Mooney says. “They liked how she looked, and they wanted to emulate her.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.e8c9136ee53e

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars