The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-21-2017, 07:25 PM

Default Kit build: is this "AAA" top usable?

This is advertised as a AAA too from a reputable supply company. Is this acceptable? Is it usable?

Old 06-21-2017, 08:06 PM

What's the current thickness? Can it be removed during the thicknessing? Also, is the gouge going to be outside the final width?

Guild
'56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '62 F-20, '64 Mark II, '65 SF IV, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVP, '90 Pilot, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird
Acorn House Guitars
Parlor #1, Butternut Deuce, Rounder, Kulakeiki
G&L '93 Legacy
Lute '03 Lyn Elder
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcornHouse View Post
What's the current thickness? Can it be removed during the thicknessing? Also, is the gouge going to be outside the final width?
Kit comes pre-cut and pre-thicknessed. The top is what it is now. I'll grab the calipers and measure the thickness in a bit, but I wasn't expecting to do any thicknessing.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:23 PM

To offer an opinion, we'd need more context.

Is this the inside surface or the outside?

What species of wood is it?

Is this cut to the final size of the instrument, or is there waste still around the perimeter?

Is it at its final thickness?

Was it damaged when received, or due to your working of the wood?

Are you asking if this piece can still be used, or are you asking whether or not the kit supplier sent you substandard materials?

It appears to be a top that has more runout, or a grain reversal, than is probably desired and that it was run through a thickness planer. The planer blades caught the grain with results as you see as well as the adjacent tearing. Usually, when machined to thickness, an abrasive thickness planer is used (i.e. it is sanded to thickness), preventing this sort of tearing.

Commercial grading of guitar tops is largely subjective and based on appearance. That isn't a top that I'd chose to use for a $5k+ handmade instrument, but, I think one also has to keep in context that it is a kit and the price paid for the kit.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 PM

Whilst its not the best location to have damage it is still useable.

If its the underside of the top, then its fine as you will have kerfing at this location.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-21-2017, 08:30 PM

It's the top (outside) of the top, damage is on the outermost edge of the lower bout. I have not done any work, this is how the top was received (pre-sized and pre-thicknessed), presumably to final size and thickness.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:03 PM

Top is roughly 3.6mm in most places. Wood at the chip/defect is 3.0mm
Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 PM

? why is it the topside, has it already got a rosette cut and fitted or is it a cutaway.

If this is already the topside, then I would consider doing a purfling and then binding which should en-compass that area.

One of the things with building guitars is taking defects in the wood or mistakes and or damage you make / find and turn them into a feature

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-21-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
? why is it the topside, has it already got a rosette cut and fitted or is it a cutaway.

If this is already the topside, then I would consider doing a purfling and then binding which should en-compass that area.

One of the things with building guitars is taking defects in the wood or mistakes and or damage you make / find and turn them into a feature

Steve
Top came with rosette already routed. While I appreciate what you are saying about the fault to feature concept, this kit is intended to be assembled by beginners, and is sold as "AAA quality" tonewood. I don't see how this can be considered AAA by any standard.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 PM

Then that is up to you to go back to the supplier and work something out, just giving you suggestions on what to do with what you currently have.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Then that is up to you to go back to the supplier and work something out, just giving you suggestions on what to do with what you currently have.

Steve
I appreciate the suggestions, and may consider going that route.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Is it outside the edge that will be routed off for binding? If it will show I would exchange it or even buy a new top if you have too. Otherwise years down the road every time you look at it you will wish you had.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:02 AM

My guess is that it is in the 'excess' area of the top and that between flush routing and binding it will disappear.

Also, at 3.6mm, it is most certainly not at final thickness. 2.8mm is a decent target.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
My guess is that it is in the 'excess' area of the top and that between flush routing and binding it will disappear.

Also, at 3.6mm, it is most certainly not at final thickness. 2.8mm is a decent target.
Looks like I've got some planing to do. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:51 AM

It's a simple thing, really.

I'd say you owe it to the reputable supplier to send along a photo and give them a chance to replace the item - which was most likely damaged before shipment.

No need to make a production of it - they would want to keep you as a customer, and not have this kind of thing become an issue. Your input can help them with their business.

Frank Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair