The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Default Truss Rod

I have got this old 1980s Hondo acoustic steel string guitar, and action is very high 6mm at 12th fret.

When I look at the neck, the bow is quite deep.

So I got the wrench, and turned the truss rod to the clock wise to make it to straighten the bow. I turned it maybe 30 degrees each time and three times to the clock wise, but there is no change in the bow. It is just same as before.

Does this truss rod seem working? Do I need to turn more? Or was it enough?
I don't wanna bust the truss rod or neck, so being careful here.

If it does not work - I will go and lower the saddle but I hate doing that, because somehow it seems killing the tone.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM

It might well be the case that by tightening the truss rod is working its way into the wood of the neck. Maybe a (new/bigger) washer could be the remedy. I had once the same problem which was solved that way.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 12-07-2017, 02:18 PM

So, should I turn it more? I wasn't sure. I felt bad when I thought maybe I turned it too much.

But the neck never changed even after truss rod nut was turned 30 degrees x 3 = 90 degrees from the original position.

I was using an Allen Key, which fits into the truss rod nut.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:01 PM

More than likely it's a single action compression rod similar to what Gibson and Fender uses. There's a good chance it is not robust enough to flatten the bow. Use a couple of blocks, a board, and a couple of clamps to force the bow out of the neck. That will take the load off the truss rod. Once the neck is straight, tighten the truss rod. The nut should turn easily. 90° is not much on this type of rod, it may take more than a full turn. The rod will probably hold the neck in place, it just needs a little help getting there.
et al
Old 12-07-2017, 03:08 PM

If you only turned it 90 degrees (I suppose a quarter of a full turn) than you should not be affraid of tightening the truss rod further. If adjusting does not require real force you could give it at least a full turn. If nothing changes after one or max two turns than you should check the truss rod. The problem might than be what I described in my first reply.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 12-07-2017, 03:18 PM

Great info and advice, thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair