The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 PM

Default Just Watched "Wind River"

Caught "Wind River" on demand tonight and it was excellent. In short, it is a murder mystery taking place on the Wind River Indiana Reservation in Wyoming. Jeremy Renner stars as a predator control officer who discovers the crime and is then involved due to his tracking/wilderness skills. Graham Greene plays the head of the tribal police and a neat cameo role re-unites him and Tantoo Cardinal.

Its a compelling story and the photography and settings give you an idea of what that area is like. Has one of the most intense shoot out scenes ever put on film.

This is one you don't want to miss. Be a crime if it doesn't grab several Oscars.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Anticipation Junkie

My wife and I saw it when it came out in theaters. Really good.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I saw it earlier this year and thought it was outstanding. However, Harvey Weinstein's company was involved with the movie and the Hollywood rumor is that it will not receive any nominations due to that connection. That is a shame.

CK
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 PM

Strange one for me, saw it at the cinema and really struggled with the dialogue which was a 1st for me with an American movie.
Definitely not an accent thing, I just couldn't understand a lot of their speech.
"What did he say?" stuff.
It didn't ruin the picture though, the story was still clear.

I saw 'Dunkirk' in the exact same cinema a couple of days later and the dialogue was perfect, so it definitely wasn't the venue.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-15-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Strange one for me, saw it at the cinema and really struggled with the dialogue which was a 1st for me with an American movie.
Definitely not an accent thing, I just couldn't understand a lot of their speech.

I saw 'Dunkirk' in the exact same cinema a couple of days later and the dialogue was perfect, so it definitely wasn't the venue.
That's odd. I don't recall any idiosyncratic phrases or regional accents. There were a lot of references to Arapaho customs.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

That’s funny! The opposite for my wife and I. We saw Dunkirk and couldn’t understand a lot of the speech. Not so with Wind River. It must be a which side of the world one comes from sorta thing!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:38 AM

Rented this movie last night.
I liked it a lot.
Very intense, reminded me of watching Sacario.
The shootout was also very real, not your TV cops and robbers.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Saw it at the theater with my wife when it first came out. We both liked it a lot and figured it would probably be up for some of the awards.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:09 AM

Just watched it last night and I agree, it was a great movie. I remember thinking during quite a few scenes, for example the ones with Renner and Birmingham, were really well done/award winning writing, directing and acting.

And the gun fighting was intense and not done in the usual stupid Hollywood style.

A really thoughtfully done and thought provoking movie. It gave me lots of moments where I felt a lot for the characters.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:29 PM

One of the more memorable scenes was a bit of a throw-away. When he finds the cat's den and shines his flashlight in the opening.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Cool–I was intrigued by the trailer, but wondered if it was really going to be any good. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I also thought it was very good and shines a light on a very sad issue in a compelling way without being too preachy. I thought one scene could have been handled with a bit more sensitivity for my taste, but still - a very good film.

The same screenwriter, Taylor Sheridan, wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water - which were also very good. Wind River was his directorial debut.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-17-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I thought one scene could have been handled with a bit more sensitivity for my taste, but still -
He should have said "Excuse me" when he was popping guys with his 45-70?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
He should have said "Excuse me" when he was popping guys with his 45-70?

No, I was speaking of the sexual assault scene not the shoot out scene. I know he was trying to show the brutality of it but it was pretty intense and, for me, seemed unnecessarily long.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-17-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
No, I was speaking of the sexual assault scene not the shoot out scene. I know he was trying to show the brutality of it but it was pretty intense and, for me, seemed unnecessarily long.

Best,
Jayne
I agree with the intensity part, maybe not the length. I think that scene laid the groundwork for the climax with Renner and the rapist on the mountain. Provided ample justification for the course he took. Obvious irony that the predator hunter was actually the top predator.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic