The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Electric Guitar Question

Hey guys and gals,

I know this is an acoustic forum, but have an electric question.

My buddy is looking at a new electric for primarily worship music, and has it narrowed down to really 2 options.

1) Grosh Nos Retro with Fat 60's

2) Tom Anderson Icon T with Tv 1/ Tv 3.

Anyone have any experience with these, preferences? We have played both and they are both phenomenal!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:32 AM

I've had a few Grosh guitars and can't say enough good about them. They are excellent guitars. I thinned out my electric guitar collection a few years ago and got rid of all my Fenders, and other Strat styles, and kept a Grosh Retro Classic. Fantastic guitar!!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:17 AM

Hard to beat a Grosh RC!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:25 AM

Your friend has good taste in electric guitars! I own both Grosh and Tom Anderson guitars, can't go wrong with either one...
I have an early Retro Classic with Fralins as well as a TA Cobra and an assortment of TA super strats.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:02 PM

When I was looking at getting a "boutque" strat about 15 years ago, my immediate thoughts were to get a Tom Anderson as they have a high profile in the UK. I tried a few and whilst they all had great build quality, found them have a bit characterless tone and after trying a few more high end strats, ended up with a Grosh Retro Classic. 15 years later, still very happy with my choice, but I do prefer my Levinson Blades
Santa Cruz Tony Rice
Larrivee OM9

(Electrics - 6 PRS, 4 Levinson Blades, 2 Eggles, Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom, Reverend Warhawk, Don Grosh Retro Classic, Yamaha SA2200)
Old 10-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Thanks for your feedback.

I think I agree with your feedback so far. We both agreed none of the suhr, or tom andersons could touch the Grosh Strat.

However, the Tom Anderson Tele was killer.

I think it will very much look like he will be getting a custom Tele from them. He's looking forest green, with gold hardware, black pickguard. Something like this:

It's using Anderson's "Bullitt Green"
Old 10-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Both makers are worth the money. I have been to Tom's shop 1 hour away. I have enjoyed his guitars for a decade. His compound radius, I think, will stand the test of time. It is that good. 12"-14". I really like his Drop Top, and the Icon looks incredible too. His guitars are more of the semi hollow type but they have long sustain. Super light is a bonus. They have that "play themselves" thing going on.

Don Grosh, has immaculate fret work. (Michael Tuttle SS frets are in this highest league as well).

You have a hard choice. I do like the wider 1 11/16" nut width models which are more rare on Don's great guitars I see for sale.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
His guitars are more of the semi hollow type but they have long sustain. Super light is a bonus.
As a point of clarification for the OP, you should not get the impression that Tom’s guitars are generally semi-hollow models, as this is simply not the case. He does make semi-hollows, of course.

Once you get to this level of guitar, it’s really a matter of what appeals to you the most. Anderson, Grosh, Suhr, Tyler et al are all amazing.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

I have both a Grosh T and Anderson T, both spectacular. I also have a Suhr Strat type and Suhr T, both which are very fine guitars. Wouldn't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned. -- Darwin.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Thanks for your feedback.

I think I agree with your feedback so far. We both agreed none of the suhr, or tom andersons could touch the Grosh Strat.

However, the Tom Anderson Tele was killer.

I think it will very much look like he will be getting a custom Tele from them. He's looking forest green, with gold hardware, black pickguard. Something like this:

It's using Anderson's "Bullitt Green"
I've admired the TA Teles. I like this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars