The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Default Martin Sigma Classical -worth repairing?

I recently picked up a Sigma nylon string guitar at a garage sale for a pittance. The neck is split at the heel, but actually still sounds pretty good - as good as my Yamaha classical. Its '70s vintage and I am wondering if its worth repairing and if Sigmas generally have a good reputation for playability. I realize Sigma was their low-end, mass-market line, and that they weren't exactly known for their nylon string guitars. I just don't want to put more money into a repair than its worth, given that I can still play it w/o repair.

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:51 PM

They sure can be worth repairing. I bought a MIJ Sigma DR-28 in 1984 when I took up guitar again seriously. It was an equal for many genuine Martin D-28's (not hyperbole -- I'm basing that on several offers for purchase or outright even trades over the years) but I'm sure that was the exception.

Take it to a repair person to get some idea of what it would take to stabilize it structurally and keep it playing well. It may be as simple as pumping the crack(s) full of glue and clamping it off to dry -- no big deal. Making any repair "look like new" is a whole 'nother level of effort and probably not worth it.

Of course without more information (pictures) we are only guessing here.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:43 AM

Default photo of neck

I should have thought of that but seems like I can't add photo w/o software I don't have. I guess my question should have been more general as in whether Sigmas are a respectable, sought-after brand. I can figure out if its worth the repair costs to me. I would fix and give to a nephew who is looking for a classical, but only if its a well-made instrument.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 AM

Sigma's of that era are decently made instruments, but by no means a high value or prestige marque, nor especially sought after. Most examples would be on par with the $200-400 Yamaha, Ibanez and similar today. Like any budget guitar some are quite good, most are OK and a few are duds. (You can actually say the same thing for almost any production brand -- <insert name here>). The biggest factor for tone is whether it has a solid or laminated top.

I fully understand the pictures issue. Half of the threads lately seem to be about photo posting, problems with hosting sites, etc. I refuse to get extra software or set up a separate photo hosting account for no other reason than to post photos here at AGF, so I just don't. I was only asking to gain a better understanding of the cracks you described.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 AM

Some people really like those old Sigma's. Some people really like old Harmony's too. Some people like old stuff even though there really is nothing special about them. It's quite possible it's a much more easy repair then you think, is there movement where the crack is? If so it would take nothing to glue it with some Titebond and clamp it up over night. But yeah pics sure would be helpful

If your pics are posted somewhere online then just paste in a link.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:06 PM

I am guessing it was dropped on the neck so that there is a 1/8" crack with the grain almost though the heel, so I am pretty sure it requires a neck re-set. Oddly, the neck is not offset enough to make it unplayable as is. I am going to go ahead and fix it since I hate to see old guitars put to sleep. Thanks for input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair