The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
a year from now a 1950's LP jr will be worth more than you paid for it, maybe a lot more. A year from now a new Collings will be worth less than you paid for it, maybe a lot less. Remember this also - a late 50's LP jr was an entry level student model guitar, the cheapest thing that Gibson made and it reflects that. A new Collings is a high end boutique instrument that in no way reflects "entry level" or "cheap student model". They might look the same from 50 feet, but they sure ain't the same. Here is my bottom line - if you didn't decide to buy it within 10 minutes of seeing it for the first time, pass it on to someone who cares. No harm in not wanting 60 years of someone else's mojo. I never ever buy a guitar that doesn't make up my mind in 10 minutes or less. If it's in my lap for 20 minutes and I haven't given my wife the nod, then it goes back on the rack.
...sound advice....i'd only add that if you went with a used Collings...and there are plenty of them available....you'd likely not take a hit on it down the road if you decided to resell...other thoughts...the vintage Gibson will surely rise in value....the Collings is a much finer instrument...i'd call it a tough choice...
Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM

I always forget about resale value. Maybe it is because I don't buy lots of guitars - and sell them even more rarely. I just buy things that I like, if I can afford them.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars