The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-17-2017, 02:05 PM

Default Epi LP Tone Pots- Advice needed

Hoping to get some help here- don't feel like joining another (LP) specific forum to get direction!

I have a 2012 Epi LP Plus Top Pro. Not a $3k Gibson, but a good every day, hang-on-the-wall kind of guitar. I'm pleased (enough) with the coil-split Probuckers (2 & 3). Here's my issue/question:

The tone pots don't seem to be working properly. There's no "smooth" variation between dark and bright. They seem to be 100% one tone, until the dial hits 9, then jumps directly to 100% the opposite tone.

I see plenty of videos about how to use the tone knobs to "shape" the guitars sound, but mine seem useless in this regard.

Is this common, and if I upgraded to some aftermarket CTS pots, etc would it remedy the situation?

(ALSO: Volume pots seem to operate the same way. No volume until 4 or 5 on the dial, then 100% output after that. I suspect it's the same pot problem?)

Last edited by sandspike15; 06-17-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added volume pots issue
Old 06-17-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Pots

If it were me I would check them with a ohm meter. Sounds like bad pots.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:38 PM

I'm going through this myself with an import LP knockoff. "Linear taper" pots are cheaper and they are used for both volume and tone control in my Agile, with results similar to what you describe. Based on John Cooper's excellent vids below (his is an Epi), especially the second one, I've decided to switch them out for audio taper pots.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:56 PM

I've got very nearly the same guitar. 2012 Epiphone LP Standard Plus Top. 500k audio taper pots, wired vintage style, makes for a very controllable setup in these. If you switch to CTS, you'll also need standard (imperial) knobs to match.

Another thing to consider is your amp and cable. Borrow another cable, or buy one with a lower capacitance to try out. The cable + amp have an effect on what happens when you load the pickups by turning down the guitar controls.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-18-2017, 12:10 PM

That's great advice- I never would've thought about the amp cable potentially impacting that. Thank you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars