The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-28-2016, 07:55 AM

Default Announcing a cover song?

Hey everyone. I'm going over my upcoming performance in my head, and I'm currently formulating the words I'm going to say prior to striking that first chord.

Before I give you the words, I'd like to ask my question: Should I announce the title of the song along with the original artist, or should I not? Does it matter?

I plan on approaching the microphone out of the blue and saying,

"Hello my name is _______ _______. Some of you may know me as your friendly neighborhood IT guy, but for tonight, I'm eschewing (exchanging) that role for this one.

I'd like to play a couple of songs for you. This first song seems especially appropriate given the field we all work in (hospice), and given the fact that we have recently lost many loved ones in our organization. I hope this song reminds us that, although we may miss the ones we've lost, a silver lining remains. The memories we created with them will live on with us, and we would never trade the pain of losing them for the time we had with them."

Okay, I didn't have to type it all out for you, but this is the first time I've actually put it in writing, so yeah.

At this point, I can either just start playing the song, or I could announce the song.

What do you all think?

Thanks!!

Last edited by tdubbed; 09-28-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:20 AM

It really depends on the moment. The first thing to be done is to get the room to focus on the stage. Sometimes the best way to bring the chit-chat to a halt is to just go out with your guitar, stand at the mic, breathe deeply and wait for a quiet concensus from the crowd.

There will always be a few, likely over-served people who won't get it until they notice that everyone else is focused on wht you're doing, but it should be fairly plain.

And I might substitute "changing it up" for "eschewing"...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
It really depends on the moment. The first thing to be done is to get the room to focus on the stage. Sometimes the best way to bring the chit-chat to a halt is to just go out with your guitar, stand at the mic, breathe deeply and wait for a quiet concensus from the crowd.

There will always be a few, likely over-served people who won't get it until they notice that everyone else is focused on wht you're doing, but it should be fairly plain.

And I might substitute "changing it up" for "eschewing"...
Okay! I'll check out some ways of replacing that word. I'll consult my trusty thesaurus.

Also, based on your description of standing at the mic, I can get a visual. I can see that working out just fine.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Guest4562

As stated, it depends on the moment and your audience. These things never go the way they did in your imagination. I'd have a Plan A and a Plan B, A being what you've prepared and B being something else. I'd advise an opening attention getting song and save the song relating to your profession for later in the set, with it's introduction.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
As stated, it depends on the moment and your audience. These things never go the way they did in your imagination. I'd have a Plan A and a Plan B, A being what you've prepared and B being something else. I'd advise an opening attention getting song and save the song relating to your profession for later in the set, with it's introduction.
Good point on doing something familiar and engaging to set up the core material. Get 'em quiet, get 'em engaged, lay it on 'em.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Okay. I will formulate a plan B. I have been working on a third song, but I'll have to test it out on a few people to see if it's viable. Our event is an employee recognition dinner. I'm not expected to play. It's more of a surprise, so I'm wondering if I'll have to butter anyone up so to speak. Most of the people know me already, so I think I'll have them riveted.

We will see. I'll work on song number 3 and, if I like the sound of it, then I'll just add it to the set!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Good point on doing something familiar and engaging to set up the core material. Get 'em quiet, get 'em engaged, lay it on 'em.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I usually announce the writer of any covers I perform, primarily because I feel that people should KNOW who wrote the songs they hear, ESPECIALLY if it's a song they know fairly well, but even more if they DON'T know...

The text you wrote is pretty lofty stuff for an Open Mic, and pretty heavy (and "significant"!) for an opening number. If you are saying the words because YOU need to say them, then say whatever, whenever...

However, if you truly want to connect with your audience about the song (and sentiment), you might want to "dumb it down" a bit... make what you have to say more succinct and to the point... and when you say it, be SURE to "eat the microphone" so that people can hear you; speak clearly and slower than you might normally speak.

If the song you are playing is fairly universally known, then there's no need to announce it and the writer... but I would still remind them after the song who actually wrote it.

Another time I will announce a song BEFORE playing it is if my version is a somewhat radical departure from the "original" or best-known version; although if it's a song that most folks know, I might just go ahead and play it and say something afterwards...

How much you talk when you are on stage really depends upon you and the type of person you are... if you're a talker and comfortable with that, go with it... if you aren't much of a talker or communicator, keep it brief , heartfelt and to the point.

I have found that rarely do people go to a bar or Open Mic to be enlightened, so you have to learn how to "slip that in there" without them knowing it!

Good luck! Remember: No plan survives first contact with the enemy! Be prepared to "bob and weave" if need be...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-28-2016, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

I'd try to make a lighthearted joke, since it's an employee recognition dinner... i.e. Happy.

Like, "we were all going to chip in to hire famousxxxxx to play in your honor tonight. But nobody would open their wallet. Cheapskates. Anywho... that's why you got me! This is an old Buddy Holly tune..." then boom.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 PM

Too much intro IMHO. One of the biggest faux pas of open mics (and I've played at and hosted many) is to "out host the host." Keep the banter (blabber) short. You re only getting so much stage time. You gonna talk or play?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdubbed View Post

What do you all think?

Thanks!!
Less is more. Seriously. I'd eschew the surplusage.

If these folks already know you, just say Hi, tell them you're glad to be able to play a couple of songs for them, and that you hope they like them.

Also, in my experience, too many people make themselves look like morons, and create more tension than they ease, with their attempts at humor. Especially (attempted) company humor at company events.

Certainly do what you think best, but I'd say just get up there, be pleasant, and play.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:30 PM

Just own the songs and only announce the song title, not the artists. Some song were hits buy multiple artists and this avoids someone shouting out No, it was by Jon Doe.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 09-29-2016, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post

If these folks already know you, just say Hi, tell them you're glad to be able to play a couple of songs for them, and that you hope they like them.

Also, in my experience, too many people make themselves look like morons, and create more tension than they ease, with their attempts at humor. Especially (attempted) company humor at company events.

Certainly do what you think best, but I'd say just get up there, be pleasant, and play.
On second thought.... this is better advice than mine.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:25 PM

I'll reply because I have strong feelings about this subject. I gig a lot but not open mic. I don't think that matters here. If you have a *short* speech of interest before the song, do it. If you are playing a very well known song, I suggest you start playing it and let the crowd think "Yeah, I know this one."

I have a friend I've played with in the past who INSISTS he announce the name of every song before it starts. My personal opinion is it is much more powerful to play the opening riff to say, "Green River" than to say "And now we're gonna play Green River"

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 09-30-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Too much intro IMHO. One of the biggest faux pas of open mics (and I've played at and hosted many) is to "out host the host." Keep the banter (blabber) short. You re only getting so much stage time. You gonna talk or play?
I think you're right about too much. I'll try to keep in concise. I want people to know why I'm playing a certain song while, at the same time, letting them color it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post

Roger that. I probably won't speak much because I'll be a tad nervous. More words = more chance to screw those words up and look like an idiot. I'll be myself, and I'll keep it brief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Just own the songs and only announce the song title, not the artists. Some song were hits buy multiple artists and this avoids someone shouting out No, it was by Jon Doe.
I like this. I will do this. Thanks, that really helps out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
On second thought.... this is better advice than mine.
I certainly like your idea to throw a joke out. Everyone knows that I'm one to joke around. I have a good attitude, everyone says, so I think that would go over well. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I'll reply because I have strong feelings about this subject. I gig a lot but not open mic. I don't think that matters here. If you have a *short* speech of interest before the song, do it. If you are playing a very well known song, I suggest you start playing it and let the crowd think "Yeah, I know this one."

I have a friend I've played with in the past who INSISTS he announce the name of every song before it starts. My personal opinion is it is much more powerful to play the opening riff to say, "Green River" than to say "And now we're gonna play Green River"
I think you're right. Since I know these people that I can get away with saying a little more than someone at an open mic.

I'm not sure if the songs I'm playing are well known honestly. I've been gauging certain people, and they don't seem to know the songs. I may add a song that most people probably know, however. For that one, perhaps I'll just start playing it. It'll be the first in the set if I play it.

Song list:

Lean On Me (Bill Withers)*
The Dance (Garth Brooks)
I Hope You Dance (Lee Ann Womack)

Thanks for the input everyone! This is really helping me out a lot!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:03 PM

I don't like announcing songs before I play them...especially covers that are likely to be known by most.

If I do announce a cover I'll do it after the song is played and usually because the read I get from the audience is "I don't know this" (you can tell by the way they react). I just think it's better to play first then talk (and talk only as much as you need to).

That's me. Everyone finds their own stride.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write