The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-01-2016, 04:58 AM
Guest4562

As for the general practice of announcing covers, since I mostly covers, that can get a bit unwieldy, so it's hit or miss. Usually I'll do it to cover a retuning or PA adjustment, but most often I'll impart a bit of trivia about the song or the original artist rather than a simple announcement.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I don't like announcing songs before I play them...especially covers that are likely to be known by most.

If I do announce a cover I'll do it after the song is played and usually because the read I get from the audience is "I don't know this" (you can tell by the way they react). I just think it's better to play first then talk (and talk only as much as you need to).

That's me. Everyone finds their own stride.
Yeah, I can certainly see how this is very subjective. I play multiple scenarios in my head, and I can see the merits in each. As I get closer to my gig, I'll nail it down somewhere.

I'll try not to talk to much. I will be preparing a statement before each song, however, because these songs go together in a certain way, and I'd like that to be reinforced.

Anyway, I think I'm finally over the fear hump. I almost ditched it all, but I've had a lot of very positive feedback from fellow employees that I've played for, so I think it'll go wonderfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
As for the general practice of announcing covers, since I mostly covers, that can get a bit unwieldy, so it's hit or miss. Usually I'll do it to cover a retuning or PA adjustment, but most often I'll impart a bit of trivia about the song or the original artist rather than a simple announcement.
I can see how different scenarios may alter this framework, but I can also see how helpful it is to have some kind of structure to start from.

I am learning a whole lot, and I haven't even played yet. I never really knew how much preparation went into a gig. I'm enjoying it, but it's also nerve wracking. I guess it's good to be right on the line of comfort and crazy. I seem to straddle it very often.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:40 AM

no...don't...just play
Old 10-02-2016, 10:34 PM

I didn't read all the responses above, but I will add my $.02. I read someone say "just own the song" and "just play". Yes.

I personally think that when someone announces a song before they play it, it takes some of the fun/excitement out of listening. You aren't reciting the song, you are playing it (hopefully with a lot of heart).

So my input as someone who loves to go see live music is just play and own the song. After the song is over, if you want to attribute it, that flows better.

Good luck. I am jealous. Someday I would love to perform for people.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-05-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmationdexter View Post
I didn't read all the responses above, but I will add my $.02. I read someone say "just own the song" and "just play". Yes.

I personally think that when someone announces a song before they play it, it takes some of the fun/excitement out of listening. You aren't reciting the song, you are playing it (hopefully with a lot of heart).

So my input as someone who loves to go see live music is just play and own the song. After the song is over, if you want to attribute it, that flows better.

Good luck. I am jealous. Someday I would love to perform for people.

Cheers,
Mike
Yeah, although keep mulling it over in my head, I've been leaning more toward announcing the feeling of the song instead of the title. I think I'll leave the title of the songs out.

I will be playing and owning the songs, though. Stage fright is my biggest nemesis, and I'm determined to kill it.

Performing for people... starts out really slow, at least for me. I started playing for friends, you know people who wouldn't trash me, and then it has snowballed into this 150 people thing. I've NEVER done THIS, but if we don't ever take risks, we'll never grow, and that is what is fueling me right now. By far, the hardest thing for me to do right now is play for my family, which may seem weird, but I don't know what else to say about it. It's just hard.

I'm crazy anxious about all this, but I know I can do it. I've had multiple people confirm that for me, so: balls to the wall.

If I can do it, then you can too. Baby steps.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Honestly, I feel like you are maybe over-thinking this. I wouldn't try to script / memorize anything. It could come off as cold and people will know it. If there is a general message you want to convey then fine, just let it happen as normal conversation. Keep it brief and get on with the music, which is the main reason you are there! Good luck!
Tim
Old 10-05-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
Honestly, I feel like you are maybe over-thinking this. I wouldn't try to script / memorize anything. It could come off as cold and people will know it. If there is a general message you want to convey then fine, just let it happen as normal conversation. Keep it brief and get on with the music, which is the main reason you are there! Good luck!
Tim
You are certainly correct. I overthink everything. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, but I truly feel that it produces better results in me. I know that sometimes I take it too far, and it takes people, like yourself, to bring me back to sanity.

To be honest, these are my coworkers, and nothing I say could possibly come off as cold because they all know that my personality is the furthest thing from cold.

I will certainly just let it happen as a normal convo, and I am determined to keep it way short. I like how that plays out in my head.

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdubbed View Post
...snip... Stage fright is my biggest nemesis, and I'm determined to kill it.

Performing for people... starts out really slow, at least for me. I started playing for friends, you know people who wouldn't trash me, and then it has snowballed into this 150 people thing. I've NEVER done THIS, but if we don't ever take risks, we'll never grow, and that is what is fueling me right now. By far, the hardest thing for me to do right now is play for my family, which may seem weird, but I don't know what else to say about it. It's just hard.

I'm crazy anxious about all this, but I know I can do it. I've had multiple people confirm that for me, so: balls to the wall.

If I can do it, then you can too. Baby steps.

Thanks for the reply.
You definitely can do this. It's going to be great, and great fun.

If you are more comfortable having a pre-song script, by all means work one up, but don't saddle yourself with it either. Feel free to fly completely off script/plan if that feels right and/or makes things easier.

Be prepared (music/arrangement wise), and have fun!

You're going to be great.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-05-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
You definitely can do this. It's going to be great, and great fun.

If you are more comfortable having a pre-song script, by all means work one up, but don't saddle yourself with it either. Feel free to fly completely off script/plan if that feels right and/or makes things easier.

Be prepared (music/arrangement wise), and have fun!

You're going to be great.
Thank you so much!!! I'm anxious, but excited, and I know it's gonna work out!

Thank you for the encouragement!
Old 10-22-2016, 05:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I don't like announcing songs before I play them...especially covers that are likely to be known by most.

If I do announce a cover I'll do it after the song is played and usually because the read I get from the audience is "I don't know this" (you can tell by the way they react). I just think it's better to play first then talk (and talk only as much as you need to).

That's me. Everyone finds their own stride.
I generally advise talking as little as possible, if at all, especially if it's before your first song.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because you sound like an awfully wonderful person, but I find people who talk too much before a song generally brand themselves as beginners or amateurs. In other words, they talk for themselves, not for the audience, because they're nervous and are trying to ease that nervousness. It generally gets in the way of the song.

As others have said, this depends on the venue or situation, where you are in the bill, etc. However, on that first song, if it's a well-known cover, I would say no more than this: "This is a song about loss," and immediately start playing, or at most, "This is a song about loss I wish I wrote."

It takes a lot of courage to stand before people with just you and a microphone.

If this doesn't fit your style at all, please reject everything I've said here. Others may strongly disagree. If this is helpful or useful, or not, it's just grist for the mill.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 10-22-2016 at 05:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write