The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2024, 04:11 PM

Default Lr Baggs HiFi - Should I go for it?

I am on the fence about the HiFi and need some input on if my worries are legit, or I am just overthinking things! For a quick backstory, I played a show on St. Patty' Day and used my Fishman Power Tap Infinity and found the tone to be quite bright and harsh. I generally like this system, but would really like to simplify things.

The other guitar player in my band who doesn't know much about acoustic pickups, recently bought a Furch guitar with a similar system to the K&K pure mini. Despite it needing more eq and feeding back easier than my system, his tone is a lot fatter/warmer and I really like it.

Anyway, I want to try the HiFi for my next show in two weeks but have been worried about the bright tone that some demos showcase. Others have shown how good the tone wheel is though and how you can dial in a darker tone.

I saw today that Pete on the Andertons channel installed the HiFi and the sound was horrific which has me more hesitant to try that system. Give a listen as I find this sample to be the worst I have heard. Almost sounds like an installation error (go to 21:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2G9ziiNJGM

Any thoughts would help. Do HiFi users find the pickup to be too bright or is the tone wheel effective?
Old 03-25-2024, 04:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am on the fence about the HiFi and need some input on if my worries are legit, or I am just overthinking things! For a quick backstory, I played a show on St. Patty' Day and used my Fishman Power Tap Infinity and found the tone to be quite bright and harsh. I generally like this system, but would really like to simplify things.

The other guitar player in my band who doesn't know much about acoustic pickups, recently bought a Furch guitar with a similar system to the K&K pure mini. Despite it needing more eq and feeding back easier than my system, his tone is a lot fatter/warmer and I really like it.

Anyway, I want to try the HiFi for my next show in two weeks but have been worried about the bright tone that some demos showcase. Others have shown how good the tone wheel is though and how you can dial in a darker tone.

I saw today that Pete on the Andertons channel installed the HiFi and the sound was horrific which has me more hesitant to try that system. Give a listen as I find this sample to be the worst I have heard. Almost sounds like an installation error (go to 21:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2G9ziiNJGM

Any thoughts would help. Do HiFi users find the pickup to be too bright or is the tone wheel effective?
That has to be an installation error OR a faulty pickup. Yowza!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-25-2024, 06:26 PM

Maury, I am glad you had the same reaction! I was listening to this video in my car and I couldn't believe how bad the pickup sounded. Definitely seems as though the sensors are either not fully attached or it's faulty. I am really surprised they posted this video.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:39 PM

That didn't sound great. The HiFi is a bright pickup, but not that bright. I do prefer my K&K passive with the right signal chain.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That didn't sound great. The HiFi is a bright pickup, but not that bright. I do prefer my K&K passive with the right signal chain.
Just wondering what makes you prefer the K&K over the HiFi?
Old 03-25-2024, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Just wondering what makes you prefer the K&K over the HiFi?

The warmth. Especially when I’m playing solo. I think different pickups suit different players. I can always get more brightness by changing picks or using a pick if I was using fingers. But I can never seem to tame a bright pickup.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The warmth. Especially when I’m playing solo. I think different pickups suit different players. I can always get more brightness by changing picks or using a pick if I was using fingers. But I can never seem to tame a bright pickup.
We think alike. That's what I have always appreciated about the K&K. It just has a warm, fat tone. It seems to thicken single notes as well. Most pickups I find go for a brighter tone that just lacks that warmth. I really think the K&K would compliment my brighter sounding Martin, it's just a matter of wanting to glue a pickup in.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
We think alike. That's what I have always appreciated about the K&K. It just has a warm, fat tone. It seems to thicken single notes as well. Most pickups I find go for a brighter tone that just lacks that warmth. I really think the K&K would compliment my brighter sounding Martin, it's just a matter of wanting to glue a pickup in.

Yeah it’s a big commitment. You can try installing with just the tiniest drop of glue off center away from the wires. It’s more easily removable that way. There is, however, no free pass with this amplification topic. So much time and money poured in and eventually we settle by attrition.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

Scott, I no longer recommend any pickup systems as installation and playing style will account for what tone you'll get. Every system I've ever installed can get the job done for me but some take more TLC with EQ than others. If you're leaning toward a K&K system why not do it and work with it to get the tone you're looking for out of your Taylor?

Are you open to buying a new reasonably-priced guitar for your live gigs? How about the Ibanez AAD300CE, $799.99 USD with a blended output jack for its dual-source system onboard mix or its separate output jacks for its end-of-fingerboard magnetic pickup and its K&K-like three-disk contact array? I've got one and it sounds darn good when amplified and decent acoustically.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-26-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Why not an Anthem SL? I haven't heard one demo that makes me want to try the HiFi, but the Anthem is always a great choice.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Why not an Anthem SL? I haven't heard one demo that makes me want to try the HiFi, but the Anthem is always a great choice.
It's definitely still an option. I have tried the SL before and found it to be a bit difficult to dial in. I personally found it to sound a little more clear than the full Anthem which I didn't love. It kind of enhanced the top end a bit too much.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's definitely still an option. I have tried the SL before and found it to be a bit difficult to dial in. I personally found it to sound a little more clear than the full Anthem which I didn't love. It kind of enhanced the top end a bit too much.
What guitar did you have the Anthem SL in. What about the SL was not working for you. I know this is not your first rodeo, so you know the blend on the Anthem is tricky. I was surprised by how a little tweak made a big difference.

I have a few K&K dual source pickups sitting in the closet. I found the Anthem SL, once dialed in (which took some time), gets me a more satisfying plug and play tone.

One guitar was acoustically dimensioned due to the UST but it was great plugged in. I do still have a K&K in that one. But I might give the SL one more shot in that guitar, with a new saddle. Not sure it will make a difference but always fun too tinker.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-26-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I have an Anthem SL in a 000-15M that sounds wonderful going straight into a speaker. I feel its pretty close to plug and play. You can remove too much top end easily with the little screw in the soundhole.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the Anthem SL. Yes, it takes a bit to get dialed in but then is 'set and forget' at least for me. I have it in my Larrivee L03 and it is the easiest pickup I have to get a great acoustic sound with minimum fuss going either straight into the board or a powered speaker.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Scott, when you tried the Anthem SL, does it have a tweak stick that allows you to dial in how much or how little "TruMic" is sent? If not, too much of the TruMic can be rather thin, lean and bright (on my Full Anthem) But dial it down to your preference and that might get you there.

I have the HiFi in my Collings D1 traditional and ironically, I find it to be warmer than others have commented. I like that it offers more tone control and onboard volume versus a standard K&K pure mini. I also have found the K&K to be the more feedback prone than the HiFi (or Anthem). But I can still get any of them to feedback depending on volume and proximity to speakers. That said, the K&K feeds back easier which I find challenging. I also think the K&K sounds more like a Piezo than the Hifi pickup. (In my personal experience)

The thing I like about the HiFi is that it secures with their own adhesive and is rather non intrusive. If you don't like it, it should be easy enough to remove with little fanfare.

The reason I opted for the HiFi in my Collings D1 T is because I did not want to put an undersaddle piezo between the saddle and bridge plate. The Anthem uses that same Piezo mesh material like the Baggs Element. (if not identical)

I now have a Collings OM1 Cutaway and I'm trying to wait for the Baggs Duet (Hifi Pickup with a silo mic) But I'm getting impatient because I want to plug in and gig this guitar. For now I am sitting tight since I have other guitars I can gig with.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification