The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 AM

Default new Inanez ac340 verses Taylor Hog G Mini

On pure sound and playability....not resale value what hog top would you get

a new Ibanez ac340 Hog Top for $299 and 15 percent off !! on sale

or a used Taylor gs mini Hog top for 350?

A lot of people say the older model Ibanez ac 240 was a great. Now they even uograded that
with white binding and thermoage top and call it the ac 340.
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 02-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I would go for the Ibanez but that's just because I haven't been able to feel the love for a GS Mini.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 AM

I've got the AC340 sitting here next to me...Nice guitar...Light weight
Easy to play...Loud for OM
Well worth the $300
I had a GSmini Rosewood-E

The Ibanez doesn't feel big ...but is loud and has a good tone... Woody
It just seems to like a light touch and I can be heavy handed sometimes
so I get some fret buzz

I am sending it back... I'm getting some fret buzzing and it only gets worse with a capo.... I adjusted the relief but it's still there and drives me nuts

But thats ok..I ordered the on sale Yamaha A3M for $499

I would get the Ibanez over the GSmini
Old 02-21-2017, 07:46 AM

depends on if you are buying for comfort or sound.

My AC240 crushes a GS Mini in tone and volume. Haven't played the 340 though. If you like thin necks and narrow nuts the Mini may be a better option. I prefer 1.75" nut width.

As far as the white binding being an upgrade - meh, I don't care for it. I'd be interested in the difference the top might make though.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-21-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post
On pure sound and playability....not resale value what hog top would you get

a new Ibanez ac340 Hog Top for $299 and 15 percent off !! on sale

or a used Taylor gs mini Hog top for 350?

A lot of people say the older model Ibanez ac 240 was a great. Now they even uograded that
I'll share my story I owned several Hog top guitars, including a Martin 000-15 Ibanez AC240 and have purchased two Hog GS Mini's over the years. My first GS Mini needed a neck reset after about eight months of daily use. Sold it. I couldn't get out of my head how great it sounded so I bought another for a trip this past summer and once again the guitar seems to have lost it's mojo. I changed the strings (I always use the same strings Taylor uses at the factory, Elixir PB mediums) still the crisp tone was missing and something seemed off. Did an intonation check at 1st and 12th and it's lost the great intonation it has new.

I've owned dozens of acoustic guitars. When they are not in my hands they are on wall hangers or stands. None of them have had this issue except the GS Mini. So I know others have had very positive experiences with this guitar I haven't. Taylor's response is "this is the great thing about owning a Taylor, our unique neck design means a reset is easy and that's probably all you need". I don't think so. None of my glued in dove tail neck joints have ever needed a reset and they have all gotten a lot more play than the GS Mini.

Given what I've experienced I'm led to believe their bolt on neck joint is much higher maintenance than dove tail, at least on the GS Mini model.

Also Taylor refuses to sell to the public the tools to unbolt the neck, shim saddle, etc.. They want you to be an authorized Taylor service tech to buy these parts. I was told by Tayor customer support if I attempted to reset the neck myself I would void the warranty. I don't really like to take guitars in to be serviced once a year. So that's my Taylor GS Mini experience. It's a wonderful little guitar until one day it's just not anymore. Aesthetically it also lost it's luster to me. The binding around the side is printed on (decal) as is the rosette. The last time I picked it up the thought that ran through my head was "Taylor wasted a good piece of Ebony on this fret-board".

With Taylor I am constantly drawn in by their marking and overall brand. I really like Bob Taylor and Andy Powers attitude. The brand appeal draws me in but I really have come to realize their product just isn't for me. The only thing I can tell you about the Ibanez AC240 (the 340 looks like a dressed up 240) is that it was a really great guitar. Especially for finger style instrumental play. It inspired a lot of music. I'll probably buy another one someday.

The non subjectives:
The Ibanez has a wider nut than the GS Mini and it's longer scale. So it feels entirely different but sonically they are in the same ballpark. The GS Mini comes with a very nice hard foam gig bag, "welcome to the family" Taylor paperwork, etc... Because there are so many Taylor service centers, it's easier to get serviced under warranty than the Ibanez. It's a more popular brand and that's worth something to a lot of people. You pay a premium for that.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 02-21-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post
Now they even uograded that
From the Ibanez website it only says "thermo aged" bridge.

The top is listed as solid mahogany, same as the AC240 OPN.

Or did I read it wrong?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Nope you are right

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion