The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2017, 01:23 PM

Default Kurt Cobain Would Have Been 50 Today

Whether you're a fan or not, his influence on the rock landscape is undeniable. Who knows how many kids first picked up a guitar to play the intro to Come As You Are.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

He completely redefined the music dynamic at a time that it desperately needed to be changed. With all the corporately derived music out there today, we could use another music revolution.

Last edited by Pura Vida; 02-21-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, surprised this is the first mention I've heard that this is his 50th. I will also turn 50 this year. I have a lot of mixed feelings about Cobain, but I guess that's part of the enigma. Great songs. Too much can get depressing. Great writer. Not a great singer, but he did convey a lot of emotion with his voice.

I wonder how his work would have evolved had he lived longer. For me the most influential work came very early, and the later work was pedestrian. Maybe he'd have had a resurgence.

I guess he lived the "better to burn out than fade away" notion as well as anyone. Kind of gets straight to the question of how one lives versus how long one lives. I don't envy him but I appreciate some of his work.

Interesting that Dave Grohl is the one who's had a long and productive career.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:25 PM

I remember walking into a room and the Nirvana MTV Unplugged concert was just starting.
I was completely mesmerized by those guys.
I hurried out and purchased the CD.
It is still the only one by Nirvana that I care for.

I am a handgun suicide survivor by a close family member.
If only they knew the damage that they leave behind...
Old 02-20-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Interesting, surprised this is the first mention I've heard that this is his 50th. I will also turn 50 this year. I have a lot of mixed feelings about Cobain, but I guess that's part of the enigma. Great songs. Too much can get depressing. Great writer. Not a great singer, but he did convey a lot of emotion with his voice.

I wonder how his work would have evolved had he lived longer. For me the most influential work came very early, and the later work was pedestrian. Maybe he'd have had a resurgence.

I guess he lived the "better to burn out than fade away" notion as well as anyone. Kind of gets straight to the question of how one lives versus how long one lives. I don't envy him but I appreciate some of his work.

You pretty much summed it up well.
I won't voice an opinion on the lifestyle. He certainly was in pain.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2017, 03:58 PM

Too much grunge can be depressive, I went through that phase, glad I'm past it,

H
Old 02-20-2017, 10:54 PM

Love the Unplugged album. Wonder what he'd think of the success Grohl has had.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:18 PM

Sorry, even though I consider myself to still be a Gen X'er I was never a fan. I thought he was grossly overplayed when he was still alive and his "performances" were little more than drug induced self gratifying temper tantrums. Instead of cleaning his act up after dropping his child he instead committed what I thought was the ultimate expression of cowardice. I found it especially distasteful that he was almost made to be a martyr by the sycophants who went on to make boatloads of money off his "legacy."
Old 02-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wonder how his work would have evolved had he lived longer. For me the most influential work came very early, and the later work was pedestrian. Maybe he'd have had a resurgence...

He became friends with Michael Stipe, and many believe Kurt would have taken his music into more interesting and less volatile places. Whether Nirvana would have remained intact would difficult to say, as he seemed exhausted from the band, its success, and being in the spotlight / under the microscope.

As for Grohl, his career doesn't surprise me. He was already more tenured (playing the D.C. punk scene), when he joined the band, and since Nirvana, he always seemed more deliberate in his musical recordings and performances. That first Foo album was really a solo album that couldn't find its way into Nirvana at the time.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:03 PM

I'm an old folk-punk from the generation before Cobain, but the Nevermind album spearheaded a wider marketplace acceptance for some of the things that "my generation" was trying to get across, so he has my gratitude for that.

I'm sorry that he lived such a troubled life. Who knows how much from chemicals from inside and outside of his body? A wise poster in another thread said it well: many are called to the stage because of failures in the rest of their lives.

Coincidences. I saw the notice at breakfast this Tuesday morning about yesterday being Cobain's 50th birthday after spending most of Monday recording a musical setting for a teenage poem by noted 18th Century grunge predecessor George Washington. My arrangement used that Pixies/Smells Like Teenspirit quiet verse/loud chorus trick, totally unaware that US "President's Day" was Cobain's birthday this year.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-23-2017, 02:34 PM

When In Utero was released, I predicted that Cobain wouldn't be alive for much longer. The album was more a requiem, as opposed to the broader teenage angst stuff in Nevermind. If I remember correctly, Butch Vig produced Nevermind, who also produced Def Leppard, thus the huge wall-of-sound in Nevermind.

I think it was a double-edged sword for Cobain, who at the same time brought grunge to a larger audience, and considered a sell-out by many going to Geffen....
Old 02-23-2017, 02:58 PM

Could someone please define or explain to me what "grunge" music is? Not trying to be a smart alec here. I'm 67 and I although I remember Cobain being popular and all that, I was never into that type of music. Anyway, what the heck is "grunge" music?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Could someone please define or explain to me what "grunge" music is? Not trying to be a smart alec here. I'm 67 and I although I remember Cobain being popular and all that, I was never into that type of music. Anyway, what the heck is "grunge" music?
Rock music from 1988-1995 that differed from the "established" rock music that generally dominated the genre up until 1991, tonally described as often containing elements of punk rock and heavy metal, often with abstract lyrics. Even within "grunge" itself there was still a range of style, I'd put Nirvana closer to punk, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains more on the metal side. Thinking about trying how to pin Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam is a little iffier for me.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
. Anyway, what the heck is "grunge" music?
A marketing gimmick. Just as 'Merseybeat' and 'Mersey Sound' were used to sell any band with scouse accents.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
...I guess he lived the "better to burn out than fade away" notion as well as anyone. Kind of gets straight to the question of how one lives versus how long one lives...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
...his "performances" were little more than drug-induced self-gratifying temper tantrums. Instead of cleaning his act up after dropping his child he instead committed what I thought was the ultimate expression of cowardice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
When In Utero was released, I predicted that Cobain wouldn't be alive for much longer...
Kinda got that feeling myself from day one, that this guy wasn't going to die of natural causes...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic