The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Default music, headphones and social isolationism

A couple threads (including mine own and SIllyMoustache's) touched on music listening.

Two thoughts resulted and converged in my head.

Why do I find it "anti-social" that people (admittedly mostly younger people) wear earbuds/headphones everywhere?

and

Why do I love music but not like using headphones, myself?

I came to this realization:

I like music just about all the time as a mood enhancer and to add "flavor" around me. I like listening to music while working, while doing yardwork, working on my workbench, etc. I wear headphones when running/skiing/etc but only because I have to.

I dislike this weird feeling I get when wearing headphones that completely disconnects me from the world around me. When skiing, the sounds all around me are important cues so I feel handicapped when I have earphones in and I feel insulated from the world in an unpleasant way. Now, when running, where my goal is to get into a zone and disconnect from the pain, it is exactly what I want.

Something about headphones and earbuds, that just separate you from the world. Walking down the street, you cannot hear traffic, cannot hear the rustle of the wind, the footsteps on the pavement.....it's like sensory deprivation.

I like music but I like it as part of my surrounding. I don't like to use it to "insulate" me from the world around me,

I see so many people all over, everywhere, with earbuds in and I think they are disconnecting themselves from the world around them

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 02-20-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:34 AM

Funny in that we don't like a pair of wireless buds we bought and I'm waiting for my AirPods to arrive.

I'm aware of this perception of others issue because I use them as voice headphones while working for .5 to a few hours a day. Some think I'm listening to music but it's usually work or education content.

I don't like the in ear type that are plugs - what we don't like about the wireless ones we bought.

On music only, I don't use my nice B&W over ear models enough. They sound so nice and let me concentrate on details within the music.

My kids - middle and high school - consider the phones a point of being polite. Keeping what you're hearing away from others. Their way to watch TV shows and no one else has to hear.

Now let's hope those AirPods arrive soon _AND_ fit.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:43 AM

I think people wear headphones because it's more practical than carrying a boombox on your shoulder.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Interesting, I never wear headphones when skiing or mountain biking–both are such social activities for me that it really makes no sense. Always stopping and chatting after a section of a run or trail, or chatting while riding up a lift.

Even when skiing or riding alone, the sounds of both sports are definitely part of my enjoyment. The rush of wind, the sound of a perfectly (or poorly) carved turn, listening to my equipment. They're such deep flow experiences that music would be a distraction.

Walking around the city or riding BART? I welcome the distraction from the noise and the mass of people. At work? Music covers the talk around me and allows me to focus on what I'm doing.

I definitely enjoy music without headphones when working in the garage or the yard, usually with a portable bluetooth speaker.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I think people wear headphones because it's more practical than carrying a boombox on your shoulder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I definitely enjoy music without headphones when working in the garage or the yard, usually with a portable bluetooth speaker.
Yes, and I'm sure portable speakers have cut the headphone time I do except for business calls.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Fazool, I don't know your age, but I'm guessing you're probably in or near my demographic from many of your other posts.
What your commenting about is a function of a lot of different present day social and cultural behavior based on media and marketing influences,convenience, peer pressure, self-centeredness (yes it's part of it) and even a genuine desire for isolationism. Having said that, obviously only parts of those things may apply to any one individual. My generation was eager to "share" our experiences in the moment we experienced them as it was both affirmation and unity that made us feel good. That's why we listened to albums in groups instead of by ourselves. We fed off each other's reactions. I think today the cultural influence has leaned more toward the individual. Psychologists would probably say it isn't healthy.You could argue that Facebook is a form of group sharing but in my opinion only to the extent that it is a means to show everybody what "I" am doing not what "we" are doing together.
There are a lot of folks who can shoot holes in this opinion and probably will. Personally, as I have come to embrace in this world, live and let live.
Folks who wear earbuds or headphones might not want to hear the wind rustling.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Can't stand headphones or earbuds. Same reasons as you stated.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 PM

I love listening to music through headphones. It's the only way I can escape the din of the real world and fully immerse myself in music.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 02-20-2017, 12:57 PM

I'm both. Sometimes I like my headphones that block out outside noise, sometimes I like the open ones that allow ambient noise in and simply adds a sound track.

I've also been known to wear headphones that aren't connected to anything. They're just an outward sign that I want to be left alone.

I also play / sing in open jams and open mics because I want to share the experience.

It's all good!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:03 PM

My bowling teammate wears ear buds and listens to music. When the rest of us talk, he always pulls the buds out and says "what did you say?" Drives me nuts. If he wants to be apart of the conversation then turn off the music.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I like listening to music in the foreground of my life, on large speakers that move my guts and chest without getting too loud, say at 75-80db. I've got the outtake from Fleetwood Mac's upcoming album, a rough mix of their remake of "Seven Wonders," spinning at 78db right now on the big studio monitors. In my funny little world, headphones are for overdubbing. It is a funny little world, though: My control room clocks in at 40db with the music off. You can hear your own body working.

But I'll tell you, my building is right next to a college campus where the students go around with their plugs in all the time. They reduce your situational awareness to an incredible degree. I can find myself creeping along the road behind an out-of-touch student who is floating along to whatever is in the 'buds, not knowing that a one-ton vehicle is bearing down on him or her. I cringe at the self-defense possibilities for the young ladies. We had a young female student assaulted in the area recently. She got away before he could do anything, but...

To quote Roger Waters, "Is this the life that we really want?"

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-20-2017, 01:37 PM

I wear earbuds at the gym when I lift weights or do cardio.

By doing so, I talk to no one; therefore, I can get in and out with a great workout in about an hour.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:54 PM

When I'm wearing my open-back over-ear Sennheisers, I can still hear things around me (so long as I haven't got the volume up too high).
Old 02-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Interesting, I never wear headphones when skiing or mountain biking–both are such social activities for me that it really makes no sense. Always stopping and chatting after a section of a run or trail, or chatting while riding up a lift.

Even when skiing or riding alone, the sounds of both sports are definitely part of my enjoyment. The rush of wind, the sound of a perfectly (or poorly) carved turn, listening to my equipment. They're such deep flow experiences that music would be a distraction.

Walking around the city or riding BART? I welcome the distraction from the noise and the mass of people. At work? Music covers the talk around me and allows me to focus on what I'm doing.

You bring up a very interesting point, which I agree with pretty much. Give note (take note) of the sounds and senses of the situations at hand, not a self induced, escapists reality,

H
Old 02-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
You bring up a very interesting point, which I agree with pretty much. Give note (take note) of the sounds and senses of the situations at hand, not a self induced, escapists reality,

H
Well you do take it a bit further – I make no judgement of others' reality or motivations. Just stating what I prefer during those specific activities.

I know people who crank tunes during both those activities, it never crossed my mind that it was a bad thing. Just not my personal preference.

Rock on if you want IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic