The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 09:50 PM

Default nickel bronze strings ?

I've tried these twice now on two different guitars and they fell pretty good but they make my guitars sound...muted. I've notice having to work harder for tone that I typically get out of new strings, especially on the bass side.

Has anyone else had this experience? I've heard a lot of hype about these but so far I normally take them off pretty quick and revert to old favorites.

Has anyone else had this experience ?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

I have the light mediums on two of my guitars, both of which are loud: HD28 and Bird. I simply can not record with my HD28 unless these strings are on it, so I perceive the same as you. For me it's a positive. My HD28 has lost some bass sonic boom, which works out pretty well for my needs.

I hear ya in that every now and then you gotst to put on the PBs and get some thunder back.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:55 PM

blue, I've put the D'Addario nickel-bronze and the Martin Monel Retro strings on several instruments just out of curiosity. What I've found is that they sound quite good on some instruments, but fairly hideous on others. Same thing with the John Pearse Pure Nickel strings: I use those on a maple Guild jumbo I own, and love them on that guitar, but not on any of the other guitars I currently own.

So it seems to be on a guitar by guitar basis, at least for me.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-20-2017, 06:01 AM

I didn't like Monels on my (at the time) Martin, but the nickel bronze and Monels do do well on my Taylor T5 as something of a hybrid string. I just like that wide open phosphor bronze sound, I guess. These didn't have it for me.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warddix View Post
I didn't like Monels on my (at the time) Martin, but the nickel bronze and Monels do do well on my Taylor T5 as something of a hybrid string. I just like that wide open phosphor bronze sound, I guess. These didn't have it for me.
I would agree with that "wide open" description on PB and maybe describe Monels as the "string without the zing".
They are said to be designed not to add "color" to your guitar's tone.
For me, this seems to fit two guitars I own that were voiced to be "woody".
I have not tried the NB but I read where they are similar to the Monels.
I have and probably will continue to use Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze on those two guitars as well. The AB's are a horse of a different color altogether. They have zing and more sustain than any other string I've tried. When they settle in they mellow somewhat and still have lots of sustain and overtones.
I currently have a set on my Cedar/ Hog and it's a beautiful thing.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Like any string, the Nickel Bronze are hit or miss, depending on the individual instrument.

On my D-18V Adirondack they sound fantastic, and actually add a really thick and musical tone to the bass strings.

On my 000-18GE, they just sound so-so.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 AM

I tried the Martin reto on my Martin DRS 1. Loved the sound but after they were on about 3 weeks or so I was getting a buzz from my B string at the second fret. I took the strings off and noticed a very slight greenish color on the fret at this location. Also you couldn't see it but when I ran my finger over the fret I felt a little bump. I used a very light emery board and swiped it twice. Put new stings on and the buzz was gone. I don't know if it was something about those strings that caused that or not. Never had that issue before or since with other strings. I'm almost tempted to try them again to see because I really like the tone.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
I've tried these twice now on two different guitars and they fell pretty good but they make my guitars sound...muted. I've notice having to work harder for tone that I typically get out of new strings, especially on the bass side.

Has anyone else had this experience? I've heard a lot of hype about these but so far I normally take them off pretty quick and revert to old favorites.

Has anyone else had this experience ?
People who like a bluesy sound generally like the Nickel Bronze, Retros, etc.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Guest 728

I thought the D'Addario NBs were really bright, even after they broke in a bit. I'm a fan of Monels on mahogany tops, not so much on spruce.

Since all of my current guitars have spruce tops (Adi and Sitka), I've been all about the John Pearse PBs.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I've tried the D'addario nickle bronze on a couple guitars, I seem to like them on my rosewood guitars but prefer the phosphor bronze on my mahogany guitars. They don't sound bad on mahogany, just prefer the PBs. I do really like the NB on my Sitka/rosewood dreadnought - sounds fantastic!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I recently tried D'Addario NBs on a Sitka/EIR McIlroy that over the years I have tried with many different strings (Prior to this I favoured 80/20s over PB's, having tried several brands of each.)

I really liked the sound and will stay with the NBs for now. Difficult to say what it is that I like - for the sound I want they just seem to match the guitar...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 02-23-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
blue, I've put the D'Addario nickel-bronze and the Martin Monel Retro strings on several instruments just out of curiosity. What I've found is that they sound quite good on some instruments, but fairly hideous on others. Same thing with the John Pearse Pure Nickel strings: I use those on a maple Guild jumbo I own, and love them on that guitar, but not on any of the other guitars I currently own.

So it seems to be on a guitar by guitar basis, at least for me.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
I agree with the guitar by guitar basis. They feel great (IMO) but the tone is just compressing the sound on my maple taylor and recentlu acquired marquis.

On a side note I'm a big fan of JP strings especially for their cost, but stopped using them a few years back because they became so hit and miss on quality control.

Its been a while so I might have to give them a chance again.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
This is a good approximation of what I was hearing. Gone was the roar of my dread and I was working to get tones out.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
This is a good approximation of what I was hearing. Gone was the roar of my dread and I was working to get tones out.
They do seem to tame an overly brightly voiced guitar if that's what you want.
My Pono D20 has a very evenly bright voice. I like it, but I found the Retros make it sound woodier and darker, kind of a different twist. I'm going to stick some people GHS Vintage Bronze on it next and see what they do.
I do know that those Ernie Ball AB's make it ring like a twelve string.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-21-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That's me. Play nothing but Blues and love the Martin Retros on my Gibson Keb Mo and on my old Fender Dread.

On both guitars, it mellows off the zing a touch. But, it also seems to add some sustain to those upper mids/lower highs. I am not sure it really makes them quieter, overall. But, it definitely emphasizes different frequencies than PB or 80/20 strings!

The fact that they have last about a year now is still shocking me a good bit. I play my Keb Mo almost every day. I've gigged it a few times as well during this period. This year, I'll probably be playing/gigging it even more.

It being February, maybe it's time for a new set?

Please, check out my band, The Dear Johns

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion