The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2017, 06:24 AM

I could easily live without a tub, though one of my adult kids uses it when she's home sometimes.

Normally I bath the dogs outside but once in awhile the tub can come in handy for that.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 AM

I wouldn't have a home without a tub, simply because sometimes with my back I need a long hot soak and the shower just doesn't get it. That said, if I were you and really did not want one and was going to be there for a while, I might take it out, but would be careful with what I replaced in that space so you could put it back when you decided to move. A home with no tub is a hard sell....

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 02-20-2017, 07:28 AM

We sold our previous home of 25 years in 2012. During the home inspection the only issue that came up was that the P trap on the tub leaked. I suspect it was because it was only used a few times while I had a cast on my leg in the late 80's. In our current home our bath has never been used and is just a dust collector.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 AM

Two thoughts.

I've really appreciated a bath after some sports injuries and it was great when I was recovering from surgery in 2015.

Yesterday we stepped into a neighbor's house not selling so fast when every other house in our area's been selling well above assessed value in 1-4 weeks. She with her late husband remodeled the house as they wanted it. That included no tubs except for a centrally located hot tub upstairs and other unconventional bits. The listing realtor confessed the design is a problem, and said unconventional design elements are often problems even when the home is in a very desirable location. It was really obvious to us that someone with same unconventional tastes has to come along or the house has to sell at a price where the new owner can afford to recreate conventional bedrooms and bathrooms.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 AM

Are you going to stay there until you move into Assisted Living
Is it a two story that a family would buy?
We have a nice soaking tub we have used three times in ten years.
You probably will have trouble selling it, but hey, it's your house and you don't need the tub. Do what you want.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
...I can't remember the last bath I took...
- and that's why we communicate via the Internet...
Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
A shower to get clean. A hot bath to chill out.
Two completely separate activities.

Fully agree here.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I tried one bathroom with just a shower and another bathroom with just a tub in the house I built recently. I just finished my first remodeling project. I built a shower into the "tub" bathroom. We found showers are required in all bathrooms for us, especially when we have family & guests. However having a hot soak is nice on occasion, so we kept the soaker tub.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I think it's a great idea to remove the tub if you don't need it, but I also think that moss makes a much better ground cover than grass so what do I know???

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-20-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 AM

About twelve years ago we redid two bathrooms in our home. We have the same attitude towards baths as you and considered having showers only. I discussed this with a real estate agent and she said that my house was very desirable for a family with young children and that not having a tub would be a deal breaker for many of them. Even if I gave them a price break, it might not matter. I relented and kept the tub. Seven years later I got laid off and needed to sell the house. I did indeed sell to a young family (on the first open house) so it was the right decision.

Now I live in a condo with no stairs and two bathrooms. I would not hesitate to lose the tub in this situation.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the additional comments. I'll talk to a realtor in my area and see what they think. I doubt that it would cost more than $5-8,000 to tear out the cabinets and replace the tub. The floor joists and plumbing will remain and are easily accessible from the basement.

I bought the house with old age in mind. Single floor living with laundry, 1 1/2baths, and essential man-cave on the ground floor. Two steps into the house with plenty of room for a ramp if needed. Half finished basement with another bath for as long as I can handle the stairs. Barring some debilitating injury or medical disaster, I should be here until I die.

I thought it was interesting that no one mentioned a tub for cleaning themselves. The purpose of a tub, from this limited sample, seems to be for soaking. That's a lot different than the days of my youth.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 PM

I don't think a bathtub has the same appeal as it did even 5-10 years ago (for resale perspective).

Now a days what is 'in' are those huge walk in showers. I'm sure this will change again in the future but this is the trend these days in real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 12:07 PM

If you plan on dying there, tear it out. Cap off the plumbing in the wall and floor so that it will be easy to put a tub back for the next buyer.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
If you plan on dying there, tear it out. Cap off the plumbing in the wall and floor so that it will be easy to put a tub back for the next buyer.
Either that, or put in a Really Big Tub, one with a diving board on the deep end...

cotten
Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Tubs are pretty much a "must" if small kids or dogs are around.

If you have not kids or small dogs, do what suits you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic