The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Default Rainsong CH-OM1000NS vs a Shorty

I know I am missing something, but what is the significance difference between the Ch-OM1000NS 12 fret and a shorty? They appear to have identical lower bouts, lengths, scales and overall length. I am wanting a Shorty but why not a CH-OM1000N2 12 fret? they seem to be less expensive.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 AM

Am I right in thinking that the shorty has all carbon back and sides, while this new CH series has hybrid back and sides?
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 02-20-2017, 01:51 AM

The Shorty uses hybrid back and sides. I believe that the differences between the two models mentioned are largely cosmetic... for instance, the CH-OM1000NS 12-fret has a gloss top but satin neck, back and sides.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:00 AM

I asked the same question about the parlor, and Ted confirmed that the only differences are cosmetic. The main difference to my eye is that the Shorty and Parlor have gloss back/sides/neck, while the new series has satin. Also the white rosette vs black. So if you dont mind the satin back/side/neck, I think the new series is the way to go, better pricing without giving up much.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:02 AM

Big move by Rainsong. Getting the best they've got and bringing the price down. Makes me GAS.

If any dealers in the UK get some (promenade) then I might go up to try the larger bodied ones.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 02-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I found that Dave at customer support at Rainsong was really great at answering questions via email. I also discovered through him several options that weren't listed on the web site, like the concert series parlor I bought.

I also found that shopping around on line, all via email, saved me several hundred $ on price and sales tax. Since I couldn't but at my local shop that type of shopping did not bother me as i'd rather buy local.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 02-22-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
I know I am missing something, but what is the significance difference between the Ch-OM1000NS 12 fret and a shorty? They appear to have identical lower bouts, lengths, scales and overall length. I am wanting a Shorty but why not a CH-OM1000N2 12 fret? they seem to be less expensive.
I'll chime in to clear it up for anyone who might be interested.

The Shorty, and the new CH-OM1000NS are identical in construction, with hybrid back and sides, and unidirectional Concert Series top. The main difference is esthetics, and pickup options. While the Shorty is available in full gloss, or full satin, the Concert Hybrid (CH) models have a gloss top, with satin back and sides, and satin neck, with black rosette instead of white, and black tuners instead of chrome.

Additionally, while both can be had without electronics, the Shorty can only be ordered with the Fishman Prefix Plus T, while the CH series can be ordered with LR Baggs Stage Pro, LR Baggs Anthem, or K&K Mini. Acoustic tone will be identical of course.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Ah...good point Ted...pickups....

I'd vote for the K&K. They wouldn't do that for me so I bought sans electronics and installed aftermarket. Sounds great on the CF and no batteries or big hole to mess with. I like it a lot better than the LR Bags Lyric and fishman in my other guitars.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber