The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-15-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmulli View Post
I think playing ANY music in an office environment is inconsiderate.
Along with gossip, loud talking, personal conversations, innappropriate conversations.

Like I read some where else here, if you are getting paid for it, suck it up. If not, then, there's the door,

H
Old 02-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
This not a religious topic nor debate....stay focused people don't discuss/argue religion.

My office-mate plays a certain genre of music from his radio very frequently. It's not about his behavior - I'm fine with that. I don't mind.

Here is my issue:

I'm OK with, and even embrace, the message but I really dislike the music.

I mean, here is my dilemma, I feel guilty disliking this music. Almost like its sacrilege to feel that there is no flow, no musicality, the lyrics aren't musical - like it's forced.

Sorry.......I feel guilty about feeling guilty about not liking the music........
Just buy him one of these https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRF59SILVER-Walkman-Stereo-Radio/dp/B00006JQ06/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1487193810&s r=1-11

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Fight fire with fire. Play some death metal...
REALLY LOUD!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:08 PM

It's a hard question because there are so many musical preferences...

The other side is that some people listen because they really like the music... Others listen because they are *supposed* to like the music... I find that there's a lot of religious music in this second category out there... Aka - you are supposed to like it because it checks off these 6 check boxes and is thus approved...

It's kinda unfortunate - because it turns people off who would actually listen to the good stuff..

The real truth of it is that unfortunately - religious leaders and the "old timers" are the ones who prevent the good stuff from getting out there.. They complain about it endlessly because it isnt the kind of music they "like" or whatever...
Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmulli View Post
I think playing ANY music in an office environment is inconsiderate.
I agree. It's on the same level as that guy who whistles!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
...Rap music...
My second-favorite oxymoron - can't mention the first here...
Old 02-15-2017, 07:02 PM

As a church musician for...well, a very long time now....I am perfectly comfortable saying that no genre is exempt from poorly written/performed music. Thankfully, the same can be said for well written/performed music. If you think about it though, given any genre from any era, how much of the music truly stands the test of time?

We call them classics for a reason.

As far as whether or not it's appropriate for your work environment, I'm not about to leap to conclusions without a parachute AND a safety net. I simply do not know enough about the circumstances.

As a matter of practical advice, if he won't wear earbuds, hopefully there's nothing stopping you.

FWIW, I close my office door when I'm playing music, either on speakers or on my own guitar. And I happen to work in a religious environment and listen to a lot of religious music.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 PM

Does your office/company/work place not have respectful work place rules? One of them is to deal with "noise levels".
Does not matter what the genre is. Turn it down or turn it off.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:46 AM

Our parents (well, mine—I’m 66 and your mileage may vary) couldn’t understand why we liked rock & roll—they thought it was primitive jungle music that required no musical expertise to play. And I’d bet their parents thought the same about jazz. So every time I wince when my millennial (almost but not quite Gen-X) son plays hip-hop, I remind myself of that.

And then I remember his tastes are extremely eclectic—his playlists (and the concerts he attends) also include all forms of rock (other than religious & death metal), folk, reggae, old-time country, Delta & electric blues, R&B, Americana, Tejano, Cajun/Zydeco, punk, classical and even some Broadway (from shows he remembers to which we took him when he was little). He does draw the line at techno & dance music, though.

I don’t think I’ll ever have tastes that eclectic. But he does listen through headphones. I think it’s just common courtesy.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
REALLY LOUD!
Morbid Angel's Blessed are the Sick should do nicely : )
Old 02-16-2017, 06:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, I experienced the exact opposite problem earlier in my life. I was going to a small Christian college and one summer I stayed around to work on the maintenance gang to earn money for school. The college had been given a house nearby and we were allowed to stay their rent-free. Being a bit of a rock and roller (okay, a lot of a rock and roller - calling me flamboyant would be an understatement) I would get up every morning, put on the brand new Emerson, Lake, and Palmer Works album and specifically Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man," crank it up loud, and joyfully take my shower. The last notes of the piece rang out as I dried off. What an invigorating way to start the day!!! Woo-hoo!!!

Get up to around 6:00 and the tone of the synth gets more and more strident as Emerson applies HF modulation to his voltage controlled filters. It gets and stays ragged until the 8:00 mark when the band returns to an even louder restatement of Copeland's theme to close out the piece. That'll clean out your ears first thing in the morning!

Over time it began to dawn on me that the walls in this 1950s house were paper thin - every whisper passed through them. Of course, early every the morning that sort of cogitating was practically impossible, so my morning celebration continued on. And then, the last week of the summer before the semester began and we moved back on campus, all of us workers were sitting on the back stoop of the house having a BBQ to celebrate the summer. I was sitting next to my friend Randy, who was an extremely fundamentalist, conservative believer to whom rock and rock was anathema, when for some reason I brought up the fact that I loved waking up to "Fanfare for the Common Man." Randy smiled at me, a gentle, friendly smile, and said, "Yeah, I know." He then said, "Every morning I get up at the same time as you to meditate and pray." All of a sudden it clicked - his desk where he did his morning quiet time was about fifteen inches away, across the paper thin wall, from the back of my speakers that were blasting away the Fanfare.

He'd put up with my vigorous morning routine interrupting his prayers for three months without making a sound.

I was horrified. He was forgiving and conciliatory. I'm still amazed.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-16-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
REALLY LOUD!
Thst would be my take, but passive-agressive behavior is one of my biggest character flaws.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-16-2017, 07:24 AM

Music in the workplace is a very touchy subject.

Before I retired, at my work we had XM radio and lot's of choices that often led to conflicts as you can imagine since our ages were from late 20s to 60 year olds.

Solution became obvious since there were 5 of us in our department.

Everyone got a day. And no one was allowed to change the channel.

I used to play the Village mostly, but if the youngun's play too much rap, I'd play the Disney channel on my day.

I've been gone 3 years now, and they still do this I'm told. Peace prevails.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

first-world problems I know.

I gues my "dilemma" is twofold: 1) surviving soemone else's music in the workplace. I wear my earbuds so that's one topic. and 2) I feel like I am "supposed to" like this music and I really can't. Sorry - no offense to those who like it. I'm not criticising that. Different styles for different tastes. My "issue" is not the music, but my inability to admit to myself that I don't like it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I feel like I am "supposed to" like this music and I really can't. Sorry - no offense to those who like it. I'm not criticising that. Different styles for different tastes. My "issue" is not the music, but my inability to admit to myself that I don't like it.
I'm still with you. I totally get it. It's easy to feel guilty about not liking something with such a positive message. Same goes for me and certain types of movies put out by certain publishing houses sold at certain types of bookstores.

My faith is pretty darn strong because I try to concentrate more so on the source of my faith, not the vanilla-based entertainment that it produces here in America. My faith is anything but vanilla. I think I need to stop there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic