The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

I guess it depends on the level of protection consumers want to pay for. I have 2 Mono cases purchased for transporting guitars to local gigs. I did quite a lot of research before buying. Now after 2 years of use, I am more than satisfied. My guitars are only transported in those Mono bags; hard cases are used for home humidity control. The quality of materials in the Mono bags are exceptional and the function and design are practical.

The other cases I seriously considered, were Access Stage III and Gator Pro. Those seemed really good but, the Mono easily edged them out regarding details, function, and protection. That said, Mono cost quite a bit more than those bags.

As to the "NEVER A GIG BAG EVER!... they just don't offer enough protection." I did my own 6 foot drop test with my Mono M80 containing an classical guitar. The guitar was not affected by the fall. Hybrid cases/gigbags offer a different type of protection designed to absorb energy and move it around the instrument, not into and through it. Hard cases and Gigbags each have their specific strengths and best uses.

Last edited by Turp; 02-13-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:40 PM

Thanks again folks! I do have access to a limited supply of Rainsong gig bags, but wanted to hear about other options. You've given me some great info.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 PM

I am a little surprised no one has mentioned Reunion Blues bags. I have had mine for a number of years and couldn't be happier. Very comparable to the Mono. I have a slight preference for the RB, but they are both outstanding. I also think the Access hard bags are good. I have one of those too. It was a gift. Very good. I use them all for local travel. My wish is that one of these companies would make gig bags for small guitars. I have wanted a 'serious' hard bag for my PJ (13+" at lower bout) for a long time. Just haven't found one.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 AM

I am surprised that people aren't mentioning one of the major advantages of a gig bag, the storage for things like preamps, iPads, music, etc. I use one to take my best wood guitar to praiseband. I have one package to have my guitar, iPad, music, K&K preamp, all the stuff I need. I never have a concern about protection, the Gator Pro I have protects fine for this short trip. But all the storage areas really make it.

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16169-2151/g-pg-acoustic
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff2 View Post
I am a little surprised no one has mentioned Reunion Blues bags. I have had mine for a number of years and couldn't be happier. Very comparable to the Mono. I have a slight preference for the RB, but they are both outstanding. I also think the Access hard bags are good. I have one of those too. It was a gift. Very good. I use them all for local travel. My wish is that one of these companies would make gig bags for small guitars. I have wanted a 'serious' hard bag for my PJ (13+" at lower bout) for a long time. Just haven't found one.

Jeff
Blue Heron makes custom gig bags for any guitar:

http://www.blueheroncases.com/

I have been using one for a few years to travel with my Collings Baby. Great bag!

Mitch
Old 02-15-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
Blue Heron makes custom gig bags for any guitar:

http://www.blueheroncases.com/

I have been using one for a few years to travel with my Collings Baby. Great bag!

Mitch
Thanks for that link, Mitch. A bit pricey, but they look great.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Blue Heron bags are fairly pricey and nice. Reunion Blues are really pricey and very nice, especially in leather (where they also start to get heavy).

I'm quite happy with the Taylor hard bag / Access Stage One that was acquired to replace a thermoplastic hard case. I'm also very happy with the custom labeled Gator gig bag that recently came with my Lucky 13. It has somewhat thinner padding, but that is less of an issue with CF guitars.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Also a Reunion Blues fan here. I use them for gigging. They do offer better protection than the original cases. I use a RB double bass for my basses and I use the RB Aero for an electric. The double bass survived a significant fall the first weekend I used it and the bass guitars were undamaged although there was a loud thud.

I store all my original cases to keep them as new and use the gig bags for gigging. -- Darwin
Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 AM

Default Is there something that splits the difference???

My RainSong Dreadnought in a Mono Sleeve is ~8x18x47". For reference, the wooden TKL case that came with the guitar is ~7x18.5x45.5". In an Access Upstart (10mm closed cell foam) it is 6x16.5x43" and it feels remarkably more compact and practical to carry around. I am very careful with my guitars and cases, which means I don't find keeping a case from getting scratched less stressful than keeping the guitar safe in a gig bag.

I am interested in finding something that splits the difference; protective closed cell foam in between the 25mm foam Mono and the 10mm Access. The extra stiffness of closed cell foam also makes getting the guitar in and out, and moving the zipper easier. Seems most of the mass market stuff is floppy soft foam and bulked up with large accessory compartments. Anybody seen something they like?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Jon, one of my favorites is the John Mayer Incase that came with the JM strat. They are difficult to find and expensive. I did a lot of research and settled on the RB Aero. It is very compact and protective with very little storage room. I wanted a flat compact bag and this does the job very well. -- Darwin
Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Thinking of stocking gig bags as an option for our Rainsong customers so I'm wondering which ones forum members have experience with, and which ones you recommend.

Thanks n advance.
Ted, have you considered the lightweight poly foam cases instead of gig bags? The wolfpack case has been excellent lightweight protection. Not much heavier than a gig bag, includes backpack straps, lots of pockets, relatively cheap, and protects the guitar as well as a hardshell case. I have Hiscox, Martin and Taylor hard cases at home. They are in my attic for long distance or air travel. I reach for the wolfpack every time because it is so convenient and light.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P8PN12

http://www.guitarcenter.com/WolfPak/...73887982977.gc
Old 02-16-2017, 11:33 AM

Thanks again, guys.

Dave, the polyfoam cases are awesome, but mostly I would like to offer my clients a less bulky option to their hardhsell cases.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 PM

I have my Shorty in a Reunion Blues Continental bag. It
Is sturdy, on the heavy side and quite bulky but very protective. If I were to replace it I would go with a bag that was less bulky and heavy.

I have my RainSong OM in an older Reunion Blues gig bag that is more to my liking.
Barb
Old 02-17-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Thanks again, guys.

Dave, the polyfoam cases are awesome, but mostly I would like to offer my clients a less bulky option to their hardhsell cases.

Got it. I liked the Reunion Blues bags. My current favorite is the Taylor bag that came with the GS Mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 AM

Maybe heresy... But a friend just showed me his new Taylor 150e and that gig bag looks pretty nice and straddles the too flimsy and too bulky middle ground nicely. I suppose the logo is a problem for some.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber