The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Default McPherson Sable Clearance Deal

If anyone is thinking about a McPherson Sable now is a good time to act. By chance I stumbled on a Reverb listing for brand new 2016 Sable with warranty for $2295 listed by SpinDrift Guitars.

They are an official dealer for McPherson Guitars. I contacted them direct and made an offer well under that price and got the deal. They are clearing out the 2016 models to be replaced by the new ones which have the new McPherson oval logo on the headstock. That is the only difference.

So if it doesn't matter to you they only have a couple left last I checked on Monday.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:15 PM

I went running in and it was 2999.00 so you must have gotten the last deal.....
Old 02-01-2017, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Makes you wonder how many they would sell if they lowered their price a bit...
Old 02-02-2017, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Makes you wonder how many they would sell if they lowered their price a bit...
McPherson, lower their prices. That's a good one!

It's the same with the Mathews Compound bow.(which Matt founded) Just like the bows Matt puts great quality products in the marketplace and prays that will be the difference. From 2008-2013 I won 7 VA State Archery Championships, and the Mathews C4 is responsible for 2 of those. It was the best bow I ever shot in competition and at that time, among the most expensive.
The Mathews bow is now right at the top in MSRP marketplace. Sticker shock for many, but quality demands that attention. McPherson guitars are a parallel comparison. As long as our hero's shoot or play those products, some will do what they have to in order to buy them. Plastic funding is the life blood of dreaming big in our world.
Lay-a-way got me my first Martin in 1976. I wonder how many people these days use that method.(see what happens when you get old, ramble, blah, blah)
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 02-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

They still show available on Reverb.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I went running in and it was 2999.00 so you must have gotten the last deal.....
Jerry, I have one left with the KM logo that I can give you a deal on if you're interested. Give me a call. BTW, other than the logo, the new guitars are identical to last years models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
McPherson, lower their prices. That's a good one!

It's the same with the Mathews Compound bow.(which Matt founded) Just like the bows Matt puts great quality products in the marketplace and prays that will be the difference. From 2008-2013 I won 7 VA State Archery Championships, and the Mathews C4 is responsible for 2 of those. It was the best bow I ever shot in competition and at that time, among the most expensive.
The Mathews bow is now right at the top in MSRP marketplace. Sticker shock for many, but quality demands that attention. McPherson guitars are a parallel comparison. As long as our hero's shoot or play those products, some will do what they have to in order to buy them. Plastic funding is the life blood of dreaming big in our world.
Lay-a-way got me my first Martin in 1976. I wonder how many people these days use that method.(see what happens when you get old, ramble, blah, blah)
I met Matt at SHOT show many years ago, that's when I discovered he started building guitars as well. Pretty sure the guitars are just a hobby.

And no, they did not lower the prices, they simply removed MAP on KM branded guitars, which will definitely tarnish the brand, regardless what they call them. Kind of surprised by this move, it's not the way McPherson normally does business.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:22 PM

Default McPherson Sable and Touring

Hey Guys! its funny someone mentioned Matthew bows...

I had the pleasure of touring the Mcpherson facilities a couple of weeks ago to see how these guitars are built. Well first I should start with these mean machines are literally hand made. The necks, heels, fretboards, and frets are all shaped and sanded by hand by the same luthiers building the custom wooden models. Each guitar also has a Medium and low saddle cut by hand and serial numbered for each guitar. All parts are U.S.A made, and the bracing of both carbon fiber models in and of itself is a serious feat in engineering.

And this is where Matthew Bows comes in... Matt invented something called a Harmonic Dampener that is in all of Matthew Bows. it eliminates all the harmonic frequencies out of an object allowing the bows to shoot as far and as straight as possible. So.... The bracing of the Sable and Touring... Matt reverse engineered this idea to create the bracing on the tops of these instruments maximizing the harmonic frequencies and sound of the material itself. This, along with the cantilever necks, and offset sound hole, creates amazing sustain and harmonic overtones that you will not hear out of any other Carbon fiber instrument. There truly isn't an instrument like it on the market. At 2,999.99 for the Sable and 2,400 for the Touring it's impossible to beat. I tour and perform with Both the Sable and Touring. I also have a Mcpherson Camrielle. I can tell you while on tour I don't miss my wooden Mcpherson while performing. I love the way they feel and sound. I have actually dropped an L.R Baggs Lyric Microphone in both. I LOVE the way they sound acoustic and I wanted to recreate that in an amplified situation. Anyhow, I hope everyone is doing great! Just thought I'd chime in and express how awesome these guitars are!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

still listed on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kevin-Michae...0AAOSwExJXokhU

Worth checking
Old 02-03-2017, 09:42 PM

How do these compare to my Rainsong WS1000-N2 sunburst?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

If I recall that is the Hybrid version. I played one of those and thought it was much more like a wood guitar as far as the tone was concerned. Would have been acceptable to me if I needed a carbon guitar.

I won't have the Sable until Monday but all my research and listening seems to say McPherson has more low end and less of the glass shattering highs than most carbon guitars.

To me it is much more like a good wood guitar. I'll know more next week.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I've had it for a few days and a chance to play and record it. My thoughts are:

It is not intended to compete with other carbon guitars. It doesn't have the typical crystalline highs and big projection common from them.

Instead it sounds much more like a typical Spruce Mahogany wood guitar. While the Rainsong hybrid guitars I tried have been much closer to the wood sound they still have the typical carbon tonal attributes.

The McPherson was designed to give the typical McPherson wood sound and qualities but at a lower price by using carbon. Hence it is heavier than most carbon guitars and much more "subdued". The web sites states that as the goal and my opinion is they achieved it.

I found it more comfortable to play just sitting on my right leg than most other guitars, which is why I always use a strap either standing or sitting. No problem with the neck shape or finish. It says 2 3/16 saddle spacing but it feels wider somehow. Setup is spot on and it comes with a low and high saddle, each compensated for the individual guitar. And it is the best fit in a case I can remember and a nice case at that.

The plugged in sound is typical UST sound and for some reason the tone control doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Volume is no problem.

I compared it's unplugged projection to my Cedar/EIR Nightingale and SCGC custom 000 ADI/Koa deep body 12 fret. The Nightingale hands down projects more than most other guitars so no surprise here. The 000 is no slouch and was only slightly stronger than the Sable but that would be expected as the Sable is more like a regular OM. I agree with SuperB23 that I would love to see a full size SJ version .

What did surprise me was how well it recorded with a mic. It was most impressive with a very well balanced, solid and warm sound. The highs being well defined, more than detected from the player's perspective. As with McPherson guitars the even string to string balance is noticeable and where the strings are picked, close to the saddle or up by the bridge, has not discernible difference in tone. It gives a very "solid"sound when strumming.

Overall I think McPherson succeeded in making a lower cost version of their typical wood guitar but with the advantage of the carbon durability. It's not cheap but it is more than just another carbon guitar and is build with the quality of a McPherson.

I wasn't sure when I bought it, the price was good enough I thought I could sell it without losing much if any if I didn't like it but I am very impressed.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:01 PM

Glad you like it and it sounds great,, I considered picking one up myself for a short time but at almost 6lbs and long scale it lost it's appeal. Looks very nice but I changed all over to 12 frets and short scale so too much guitar for me. I am too used to picking up a 3.5 lb. guitar now.......
Old 02-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Glad you like it and it sounds great,, I considered picking one up myself for a short time but at almost 6lbs and long scale it lost it's appeal. Looks very nice but I changed all over to 12 frets and short scale so too much guitar for me. I am too used to picking up a 3.5 lb. guitar now.......
You get spoiled by size, weight, and comfort! Oh, and they have to sound good, too!
Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Hay JerryM

Check out their touring model. Lighter in weight, short scale and pretty much the same sound and tone. Plus hundreds cheaper.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 PM

Thanks, but I am very very happy with my Rainsong APLE and one CF guitar is really all i need. Need to be pretty special to beat this one, I've tried 4 others. Jerry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber