The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Question Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE... Not Really For My Hand

I just bought an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE a few days ago and though I loved the way it felt in the store, it seems to be less comfortable now... even though I paid to get it setup already (whoever does get this guitar and is comfortable on it is going to love it!!! it sounds great and the action is perfect). The neck just seems too congested for my fingers with the strings closer together than I like. It almost feels like I'm making a fist to play it... my fingers are fairly long and kinda slender.

I am thinking of returning it and getting the Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE Fingerstyle Guitar... I am a little concerned that the neck may feel "blocky" in my hand and may not feel great playing heavy pick strumming type stuff but I guess I'll have to see...

I tried the Seagull Maritime Series but the Epi tone was just fuller and deeper IMHO... those are the only two really that I was looking at because I wanted to keep it under $1000 with a hard shell case, I want a cutaway acoustic-electric and I really wanted a solid wood guitar... may have to reconsider the solid wood option now... I did like the Takamine EG523SC but I also liked the 12 string version of that Takamine and there's a good chance I may get it and I really think I would prefer two different bodies and sounds on my 6 and my 12.

Any suggestions on other guitars that I may want to consider would be appreciated.

Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE

Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE

Takamine EG523SC

Takamine EG523SC12

Last edited by ryevick; 11-03-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 AM

I think because you mentioned your new guitar does not fit your hand, asking for opinions on the forum is not the best way to go. You just need to sit down and play some more guitars.

About the 4 guitars you mentioned, they all are very different in body size and have different body woods. All three are designed to do different jobs (especially the 12 string).

Again, I don't think you will know what works for your hands and your ears until you play some more guitars.

Good luck.

p.s. you mentioned the neck felt "blocky", if this means you prefer a slimmer neck, try to play a Blueridge. The one I had sported a thin neck. I don't know if they make cutaways though, mine was a dred. Big sound for not alot of money.

You might like to find a used Talyor to try out also.

Last edited by 3 chord; 11-04-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

i've run into similar issues because of the height of the benches at guitar centers. not one chair or couch in my house has the same height, so my playing angle isn't the same, and it can make a difference to how comfortable the guitar is to play including how the neck feels in my hand.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
i've run into similar issues because of the height of the benches at guitar centers. not one chair or couch in my house has the same height, so my playing angle isn't the same, and it can make a difference to how comfortable the guitar is to play including how the neck feels in my hand.
Good point, how the guitar sits at an angle does make a difference. I think household chairs are a standard height.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 chord View Post
I think because you mentioned your new guitar does not fit your hand, asking for opinions on the forum is not the best way to go. You just need to sit down and play some more guitars.

About the 4 guitars you mentioned, they all are very different in body size and have different body woods. All three are designed to do different jobs (especially the 12 string).

Again, I don't think you will know what works for your hands and your ears until you play some more guitars.

Good luck.

p.s. you mentioned the neck felt "blocky", if this means you prefer a slimmer neck, try to play a Blueridge. The one I had sported a thin neck. I don't know if they make cutaways though, mine was a dred. Big sound for not alot of money.

You might like to find a used Talyor to try out also.
I thought I was clear in my post but apparently not. What I am looking for are suggestions of quality 6 string cutaway acoustic-electric guitars that have decent spacing near the nut in the price range I mentioned. I have played several guitars in my search and it's pretty obvious that I will have to play several more before I find what I want... I have not played the EF yet as I mentioned and do not know how the neck feels... the Takamine guitars I listed are identical in woods and body style.

Last edited by ryevick; 11-04-2011 at 05:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion