The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Let me be (not) the first to say...BEEEEEEUUUUUUTIFUUUUUUUL!

If it sounds 1/10th as good as it look, you are one lucky guy.

Enjoy.

Last edited by M19; 10-05-2010 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Wasn't the first!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Joe,
Nice looking guitar!

It should be pointed out, though, that an actual 1934 Gibson L-5 would have a marker on the first fret as well..........

Nobody ever accused Gibson of paying attention to small stuff like that, of course.

Yours is actually closer to a 1929 except that the tailpiece was different. The strings went in underneath facing away from the neck and then wrapped over towards the bridge, etc.

I own a 1927 Gibson TGL-5 (TG=Tenor guitar) that was renecked at Gibson in 1933 as a six string, thus it has the marker on the first fret as well.

In any case I'll bet you're enjoying making music with it!

Use it in good health!

Regards,
Howard
See and hear mine at 3:40 mark of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Gho...eature=related
Old 10-05-2010, 05:55 AM

Wow....gorgeous guitar. Is this the one from Daves Guitars? At any rate, I hope she sounds as good as she looks. By the way, these guitars are made to handle even heavy gauge strings, if you like. Anything less than medium gauge, though, and you'll be shortchanging it. I presume you're going to play it acoustically, so you want some substantial strings to get that top moving. Try some Nickel strings -----that's what all the old jazzers used. D'Aquisto and Pearse make pure nickel roundwounds for acoustics.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch View Post
Wow....gorgeous guitar. Is this the one from Daves Guitars? At any rate, I hope she sounds as good as she looks. By the way, these guitars are made to handle even heavy gauge strings, if you like. Anything less than medium gauge, though, and you'll be shortchanging it. I presume you're going to play it acoustically, so you want some substantial strings to get that top moving. Try some Nickel strings -----that's what all the old jazzers used. D'Aquisto and Pearse make pure nickel roundwounds for acoustics.
I'm sure Joe's guitar will respond just fine with a good medium set. The old jazzers didn't have much to choose from, actually, and if they were using a magnetic pickup they'd need to use nickel for better balance anyway.

I use light gauge wounds and medium plains on mine. It's more than enough to get the top going. I have, on occasion, used nickel wounds as well and they're just a slightly different tone, acoustically.

The main difference with nickel, especially when using D'Addario sets such as the J-21, 22's, etc is that for equal gauges (ie:exact diameter) the nickel wounds are usually lower in tension than bronze.

I'm not sure why but I believe it is due to their using a larger wrap with a smaller core on the nickels. I have sponsorship with D'Addario so I really need to ask this next time I go to the factory to get strings.

HE
Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Joe,
Nice looking guitar!

It should be pointed out, though, that an actual 1934 Gibson L-5 would have a marker on the first fret as well..........
You know Howard, times are tough so I guess Gibson cut their costs by removing the first marker...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
You know Howard, times are tough so I guess Gibson cut their costs by removing the first marker...
Henry could never surprise me, Joe:-)

I only wish that mine were re-necked as a 1927 L-5 would have been originally, with dots! I love the simplicity.

I've had the opportunity, several times, to play Lloyd Loar L-5's, which not only have the dots, but pearl nut and pearl tuner buttons............

I should not complain at all for the $XXXV it cost me...........

HE
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Exquisite - thank you for sharing.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Well, those pictures were certainly worth the wait. That's an incredibly good looking guitar. There's something magical about the way Gibson does carved tops and sunbursts.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the support, guys.

Proof that GAS is not curable, I'm already looking forward to my next purchase, probably a Martin.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
Thanks for the support, guys.

Proof that GAS is not curable, I'm already looking forward to my next purchase, probably a Martin.
And when you get to the next step, please let me know - because I'd like to buy your L-5!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

thanks for the pics - it's a gorgeous guitar...

even if it is missing a fret marker
Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
thanks for the pics - it's a gorgeous guitar...
even if it is missing a fret marker
With a guitar that nice, I wouldn't "fret" over it! OK, it was a seriously bad joke, I know...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Ok you've convinced me.

I'm going to sell my guitar and order a custom one with an extra fret marker.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:24 PM

It has been over six years now and I thought I'd post a little update on this guitar.

In all these years, I must've pulled my L-5 out of its case about 10 times. Needless to say, it's still in immaculate condition.

I recently strung up my L-5 with mediums instead of lights and acoustically the guitar has become more interesting to play. I'm still nowhere close to being a jazz player but I've come up with a decent test recording last night that is somewhat promising.

Played lightly with my nails, the guitar sounds bright and thin. However when played with a pick using a medium attack, the L-5 comes alive and I managed to record some usable tones. Interestingly there's quite a bit of overtones and I'm slowly warming up to this guitar.

I still have no recording to share but will be sure to do so if I manage to finish my latest tune.

Meanwhile, here are a few photos I'd like to add to the thread.

Last edited by JoeCharter; 02-20-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:37 AM

Nice repo of an L5, as far, as strings,I use D Addario phosphor bronze 13s`on my Campellone acoustic archtop..

Last edited by kayakman; 02-13-2017 at 07:44 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops