The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 09:13 AM

Default A sad story with good ending about my HD28

Hi guys,

I haven’t posted a lot lately ,but I wanted to share a little story concerning my martin hd28.
I have bought the martin from Jon at MFG at the end of 2012 (a wonderful experience and Jon is a top notch guy).
The martin was everything I hoped and more, but after 6 months I decided to give it to a good guitar tech for a proper setup.
I gave the guitar for a setup and while the guitar tech worked on it he commented there was a flaw with the way the nut was cut and said he corrected it.
When I took the guitar back I found out that the bridge was sanded very very low and that the setup was higher than before.
Not only that, but the tone changed for the worse.. it became very bass heavy with with no balance and it would become mushy with heavy attack.
I took it to the same guy to fix it but he couldn’t figure how to make it right.
Since then I took it to three other luthiers but none could fix the problem and I decided to sell it, after a year on the classifieds and more than two dozen interested buyers who rejected the guitar I decided to buy a mahogany om (guild) and sell the martin at a big loss or trade.
The last interested buyer commented on the faulty setup and recommended me a luthier in another part of the country and said it could do miracles.
So with little faith in my heart, I took a train to that luthiers workshop and in 2 minutes he recognized the problem with the nut and fixed it in less the five minutes..
Now the guitar plays and sounds completely different, its pure magic and by far the most musical instrument I ever played.
I jam every week with friend who has a Collings d2h and the martin just sound heads and shoulder better than the Collings.
1.The morale of the story, not all guitar techs know what they are doing.
2.when people say the martin hd28 is too bass heavy and woofie (lots of posts about it in the internet) send them to a good luthier and he will know how to fix the problem.
Oh, and one last thing.. I finely received the guild I ordered( ngd post coming soon) but I don’t feel like playing it since I am totally enamored with my martin.

p.s. I apologize in advance for my poor English it's not my native tongue
Takamine eg340sc - 2013
Honer 60s archtop guitar

------------------------------------
To be is to do- socrates
To do is to be- Sartre
Do be do be do- Frank Sinatra
Old 02-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Congrats n finding the right luthier and getting your guitar back!!!

Your English is good enough that I understood you fine.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Glad it all worked out for you. Enjoy that HD!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Great story...congrats on getting your Martin back!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:40 AM

There are bad luthiers, there are good luthiers and there are great luthiers. The great ones can do what seem like miracles.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Best thing I've done is to get my D28 setup. It's awesome now. Glad your problem is resolved.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
There are bad luthiers, there are good luthiers and there are great luthiers. The great ones can do what seem like miracles.
Let's be careful not to mix luthiers with guitar techs.
Luthiers build guitars, guitar techs don't.
Worst set up I've had was done by a guitar tech but it was put right by a luthier.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. More to the point besides a good Luthier. There are some honest people around as well, right? If it wasn't for the last guys honesty/advise you would have lost a wonderful guitar and not to mention at a price drop and he would have purchased a awesome guitar at a great price. Plus one to his honesty. Thanks for a good story and a good ending. Enjoy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion