The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-13-2017, 12:09 PM

Default Rainsong Truss

I have had my APLE now for about a month or so and have been playing with the stock setup since I received it. I decided yesterday after our groups practice to lower the action a bit as I like about 5/64 on the 12th fret 6th string, I play a great deal on the upper frets and don't like a whole lot of movement in the strings for fiddle leads, makes it to hard to fret quickly and clean.
My last Rainsong Shorty had a 2nd string buzz I obsessed over for two weeks, could not seem to get it out no matter what I did. I set my neck notched rule on the fretboard to about three thousand relief and still there, made a new saddle , still there, level check on frets still there, was getting really frustrated,,to say the least.
Then as I was practicing one evening got really perturbed and set it on my lap removed the truss cover and gave it a pretty good 1/4 turn clockwise,,which should have made it worse,,,removing relief,,but flipped it up to play and PERFECT!! could not believe it, no buzz, perfect action etc. Put my notched rule on the fret board and the neck is Dead Flat I mean no daylight and it played perfect.
So last night I took down the saddle on my APLE about 10 thousandths set the neck Dead Flat retuned and same results Perfect intonation, perfect action and not a buzz to be heard just sweet!
Every wood guitar I've set up always requires relief at least a few thousandths and this just defies logic for me but it sure works. The carbon guitar just doesn't react the same as wood as far as neck adjustments, truss works the same but took me a while and a lot of work to find this out so thought it might be of some value to another Rainsong owner if your lowering your action.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:26 PM

There was a thread on the wood side about zero relief actually being the best. I like just the slightest relief and usually go to 5.5/64 at the 12th. Rainsong necks are just usually perfect, some of the highest quality control in the business I think.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Taylor ships with close to zero relief, just depends on your attack if it will work. Sounds like that APLE is working out for you, Jerry.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 PM

Love this guitar Ted, I now have 2 Santa Cruz I love more, but for travel and all around utility and worry free playing this guitar rocks........Jerry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber