The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-09-2017, 09:02 AM

Default Airport security and Chocolate

I've flown a couple of hundred times in my career and I hit a first yesterday in Chicago. I was in the security line I heard the TSA agent say to everyone "no water, remove laptops, belts, chocolate ... etc.".

I asked her what she said about Chocolate and she said chocolate needs to be out of bags so I took my KitKat out and put it in the bin with my loose objects. Anyone ever hear of that? Everything went smoothly so this isn't a complaint but I've never heard of chocolate needing to be out of a bag before.

What encounters have you had with airport security?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

They just wanted a snack.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:09 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 AM

About 2007, flying home from San Fran Cisco, TSA confiscated a jar of Ghirardelli hot fudge my then-wife was carrying back. She was livid! Evidently, they considered hot fudge to be a liquid. We didn't, but what are you gonna do? She told them in a sarcastic voice to enjoy it. They just smiled.

Glad your Kit Kat made it through!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Hummm ? I prefer to go armed with deep dark, "Now where the heck did I put that Concealed Carry permit ?""

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-09-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
Could have been an attempt at humor. But with TSA - it's hard to be sure.

(The same people who can't officially tell an empty toothpaste tube from a full one if the empty one once held too much product.)
I initially thought the same thing but there was no smile on her face. You probably are correct though - perhaps she was trying to elicit responses from people.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Chocolate? Wow... my list is probably too long. I've been searched more times than I care to remember. I was detained once for no legitimate reason. The airport ended up making a "how not to treat someone" training video about it after I filed a formal complaint. It was always a rich experience in the employee bus to overhear them laughing about what they had done to folks that day. Not my favorite group of people...
Old 12-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

At times we have had in my household what I like to call "Second Customs." In 1996 I visited the U.K. for two weeks. I spent a lot of time gift shopping. At the end of the trip as I was waiting to board the return flight, I wandered into the duty-free shop and bought four pounds of Cadbury's chocolate. That's four of those big one-pound bars, one for each member of the family. Yum!

I arrived home exhausted, dragged my bags up to the bedroom, and crashed and burned with a massive case of jet lag and traveler's fatigue. The next morning I went downstairs and had my first really good breakfast in two weeks before I unpacked then went back to my bedroom for the gifties I'd bought for everyone. Imagine my surprise when I only found tin foil scraps where the chocolate bars had been. "Second Customs," our golden retriever named "Goldie," had polished them all off. Four pounds. Chocolate isn't good for dogs. Goldie slept for a day and a half. And you know, I think it was the only time I think I saw her sleep with a smile on her face.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:05 AM

Whilst negotiating customs at Las Vegas airport my bag went through the scanner and the very burly security guard beckoned me over with his finger to a table on the side.

"There's something we need to look at in your bag sir" he said before pulling out my travel kettle.

A huge smile grew on his face as he said "You must be English, why do you guys always travel with a kettle?"

I lived to see another cup of tea.

YouTube
Old 12-09-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Whilst negotiating customs at Las Vegas airport my bag went through the scanner and the very burly security guard beckoned me over with his finger to a table on the side.

"There's something we need to look at in your bag sir" he said before pulling out my travel kettle.

A huge smile grew on his face as he said "You must be English, why do you guys always travel with a kettle?"

I lived to see another cup of tea.
Great story about the kettle. Nice that it brought a smile to his face.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Times change. After I moved away from home, I flew back to visit and get some of my stuff I left behind. When I got to the airport to return, I mentioned I had several guns with me. They said "no problem, just pull them out and show us they are unloaded, and you can check them through".

So, I pulled out a couple .357 magnums, a .45 auto, and a couple of .22's and laid them out on the ticket counter, showed them they were unloaded, put them back in the bag and checked them through. The other passengers in line were very polite to me.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Times change. After I moved away from home, I flew back to visit and get some of my stuff I left behind. When I got to the airport to return, I mentioned I had several guns with me. They said "no problem, just pull them out and show us they are unloaded, and you can check them through".

So, I pulled out a couple .357 magnums, a .45 auto, and a couple of .22's and laid them out on the ticket counter, showed them they were unloaded, put them back in the bag and checked them through. The other passengers in line were very polite to me.
LOL, I bet they were.

As of Nov 27, 2017, Transport Canada now allows knives with blades up to 2.5 inches (6 cm) on flights. But watch out if you try and bring a bottle of water on board.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:41 PM

Wilbur sells 10 lb blocks of chocolate and I just couldn't lose the image of someone being hit in the head by an assailant wielding a 10 lb block of chocolate .
Old 12-09-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Wilbur sells 10 lb blocks of chocolate and I just couldn't lose the image of someone being hit in the head by an assailant wielding a 10 lb block of chocolate .
This was a 100 gram KitKit, lol. Not much damage that will do.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Don't mock - it's a real and serious problem.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic