The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-24-2017, 02:45 PM

Question Secret Salsa Recipe ?

We temporarily reside across the river from Mexico in far South Texas. One would think that it would not be difficult to find a good salsa recipe, but no success. I volunteer at a youth center and was told by one of the kiddos that her Grand Mother has a great recipe, but she will not give it up.
Does anyone on the forum have a great recipe for salsa that they would be willing to share?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:45 AM

Default practice for perfection

https://salsabeatmachine.org/

stirs up the pot nicely.
all the ingredients can be mixed seperately.
best served hot at around 180 bpm.

my first post, hello AGF.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Ive been making this for years. Sounds simple, but the flavors and textures are wonderful.

Marks “Taste of Summer Salsa”

5-6 large beefsteak tomatoes
1 bunch green onions
2-3 jalapeños
Juice of 1/2 lime
Kosher salt fine grind
Fresh cracked black pepper

Using a fork, spear the tomatoes (one at a time) and roast the skins over an open flame until they blacken, crack and start to peel. Remove the skins and set to the side.

Take two of the tomatoes, quartered and place them in a large bowl and using a potato masher, crush and break up completely to get as much liquid as possible.
Take three of the remaining peeled tomatoes and dice to approximately a 1/4 “ dice. Add to bowl with the mashed tomatoes. (Adjust the liquid level or chopped level using the remaining tomato)

Slice the green onions again, about a 1/4 inch, reserving one stalk of slices for garnish.
Break the onion into rings, and add to the bowl.

Half two of the jalapeño lengthwise and remove the seeds from one, depending on your desired level of “hot”.
Slice the remaining half’s into quarters, and dice to 1/4”.
Slice the remaining jalapeño to 1/4” slice, reserving 5 of the slices for garnish. Add all to the bowl except the one stalk of onion slices, and the five slices of jalapeño. Mix completely.

Add approximately 1/2 teaspoon of the kosher salt and pepper to the bowl. Stir. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the roasted skins chopped finely.
Using the remaining jalapeño, place four slices at each “corner” of the bowl, and one slice in the center. Break the sliced green onion into rings, and place on top, everywhere except where the jalapeño garnish sits. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Before serving, drizzle with 1/2 a lime and stir, avoiding the jalapeño garnish and serve.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 11-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Having grown up in Southern California, I have a deep, endless love for all things Mexican food... well, not menuedo so much!

One problem I have is that the vast majority of salsas are not nearly hot or spicy enough for me... I like something with a real kick; I'm one of those who say that a good hot salsa will have your brow sweating and a bit under the eyes... just short of making you hiccup! This is not to say that I have a problem with really tasty salsas that aren't hot, just with that watery "fresh" salsa or pico de gallo that most places serve...

So, 20 years ago, I'm playing golf with a stranger, a younger guy, and we get to talking a bit, and I profess my love of Mexican food - whereby he tells me that he was a foreign exchange student to a family in Mexico City, and the Mamacita would make 6 or more fresh salsas each day... but he says his favorite was this particular variety, and that it was ALWAYS available around that house.

Of course, I asked him to write down the recipe for me, and his response was "You don't need one, it's that easy and simple to make...."! I've been making this stuff for nearly 2 decades, and I always enjoy having it around... freezes well and lasts an incredibly long time in the refrigerator too...

(One caveat here - this is more of a "chile" salsa than the fresh tomato type... it is a very thick salsa...)
__________________________________________________ ____________

Get about a pound of fresh serrano chiles, one medium/large tomato, a whole bunch of fresh garlic (I love garlic, so I will put as many as 12 large-ish cloves in this!) and some regular salt - either table or kosher.

Core the tomato and cover it with water in a saucepan; bring to a boil and let it keep on going...

While the tomato is boiling away, you want to cut the ends off the serranos, then cut into 3/4-1" pieces... put in a cast iron skillet and apply heat... medium high to high... you're going to "blacken" those chiles; really get them blistered and blackened. Turn frequently...

While the chiles are blackening and that tomato is still boiling (!) - get your cloves of garlic ready to go, peeled but still whole.

When the serranos are REALLY blackened, cut the heat on them and the tomato.

Put the chiles in a good blender or food processor, along with the garlic cloves. Next, add salt (I'm usually not a big salt fan, but with this salsa, you actually want to use a bit MORE than you might guess.)

Then, using a slotted spoon so that the tomato doesn't burst in mid-air, place the tomato on top of the other ingredients... and HIT IT with that blender on high! (Be sure to cover the blender first!) The tomato will literally explode as everything grinds together...

Blend or process until reasonably smooth... you can do a taste test to see if there is enough salt and garlic.

And that's it! Pour and scrape off into containers; freeze some and keep the rest in the 'fridge...

I was STUNNED by both how HOT this stuff is (like paint-peeling hot!) and how flavorful... never knew that serranos were that hot. A little of this goes a long way, until you get a bit used to it...

Another thing; when I first began making this chile/salsa, I had the "good idea" to add a small amount of a light cooking oil to the concoction, in order to have it be more liquid. Turns out, when you add the oil and then blend it a lot, it makes it even thicker, kind of alike churning butter I guess...

Anyway, hope you like it... I usually pair this up with another more watery variety of fresh salsa when the occasion calls for it...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-25-2017, 08:36 PM

Many thanks for the recipes! I will give all a try.
Growing up in Pa, I had no exposure to Mexican food.After being discharged from the Military in 81, we soon after move to Texas, where I was indoctrinated. My wife and I are hooked.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Get about a pound of fresh serrano chiles, one medium/large tomato, a whole bunch of fresh garlic (I love garlic, so I will put as many as 12 large-ish cloves in this!) and some regular salt - either table or kosher.

I was STUNNED by both how HOT this stuff is (like paint-peeling hot!)
Yeah. What a shocker.
Seriously? A POUND of Serrano’s and you were stunned? Lol

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic