The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It recall reports about a lot of battery stuffed in their, I'll guess sure two pieces of glass are heavier, and stainless steel might be heavier than the 7000 series AL recent phones have used.

One thing I noticed is I like the feel of the matte finish AL models I've had recently. Another is the weight I've added with 6S Plus and now 7 Plus became unnoticeable fast. Surely easier to carry than several phones in the past. I do epic bicycle rides and generally travel light the weight doesn't bother me.

Your poor service must reflect your own experience or many a specific location. Mostly work and at times family have me in two Apple Stores a lot. On occasion the stores in Chicago or Twin Cities. I deal with hundreds of employees who go to the same two stores I'm in. On the whole I wash I could have the same competence with other retailers and support organizations.

We did have an experience where my wife's Apple Watch had problems from the beginning and not caught in diagnostics. After 4 "Genius" sessions and sending it in twice she still had a flaky watch. When a manager caught that and our supporting data it wasn't just resolved fast via a new watch. The store tech staff were called on not respecting the screen shots and data we showed them. The sort of consumer mess we all get on occasion was not just addressed but done in a way that was the "genius" staff in that store being told you don't disrespect what we showed them, and you don't keep sending an unreliable item back.

Did we have a truly bad experience? Yeah. Was it handled WAY better than most of those sorts of events? Darn right.

For work we use iPads by the dozens at each location. That's delivery, kitchen, training and retail payment. That's 24x7 and a rough life. Wow I wish other stuff I buy was that good whether product life or how our repair appointments are generally spot on.

I just can't buy their having incompetence when at same time I have to deal with Android tablets, other mobile wireless, and approx 750 employees who do BYOD. If there's incompetence it's nothing like other vendors I have.

Back to the X. It's really great now. It's really great if the apps you depend on are updated for the full screen. It's fine if your apps are not updated but that can be a problem for professional users and apps.
Thank you for your insight. I'll try to keep it in mind. Surely part of my problem is that I used to deal with the company on a professional level, and now I deal with them on a consumer level. It's different. I'm just another old guy at the training table now. They want to wow me with bells and whistles, and I want functionality. We're talking past each other.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
OK, I hope I'm wrong about everything else, so I'll just offer one last observation about the X. It's heavy. When I first picked it up, I was surprised by it's heft, so I looked up the numbers. It's 33% heavier than the Samsung Galaxy, it's nearest competitor and 25% heavier than the iPhone 7. I'm sure they'll sell a zillion of them, but the weight is a fundamental design mistake.

In my view, Apple is making human factors errors they never used to make before. They're chasing snazzy features and forgetting to make products that intuitively work without a manual and without a team of support staff. The iOS11 release was a disaster that resulted in 4 updates within a month of release. High Sierra is causing massive inter-platform compatibility issues. I've got iCloud documents that can be opened from one platform and not another. Menu options are becoming a tangled mess and are biased toward loading up your cloud storage as quickly as possible.

Furthermore, their sales staff members don't know their products. I ask simple questions that generate puzzled looks. If you get the trainers outside of their pre-prepared demos, they're lost. I sat next to a guy at an open Studio Session who was trying to manage his photo library, and four successive people couldn't figure out his problem. My particular iTunes problem required a work-around, because the system just wouldn't do what it was supposed to do.

I really want to buy a new computer, and I really want to continue my 35 year relationship with this company. But, I've lost faith. Something fundamental is going on, and I just don't trust them anymore. So, I'm going to wait and watch what happens over the next few months.

Heavy? I never noticed until I read this. Coming from a 6S, I didn’t feel like I was picking up a brick. I expected it to be heavier because it is a bigger phone with a stainless steel frame which is obviously heavier than aluminum. To call it a “fundamental design mistake” is just reaching to criticize something about the phone.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
....And lots of tech support issues are user-error.
When I do wander in to an Apple store, they're always busy to slammed. Half of the people there (in the back) are there for instruction and information, always a half-dozen waiting for some "genius" answers and the front-half of the store full of lookers. New product roll-outs usually mean it's time to stay clear until things subside a bit. But, they never do.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
When I do wander in to an Apple store, they're always busy to slammed. Half of the people there (in the back) are there for instruction and information, always a half-dozen waiting for some "genius" answers and the front-half of the store full of lookers. New product roll-outs usually mean it's time to stay clear until things subside a bit. But, they never do.
Extra irony or eye rolls when people are mad about the reservation system or order pick up system. Yesterday some those many waiting gave me strange looks when I set my bike against the glass front, showed the message on my phone to the greeter, was handed some AirPods, and left.

I bet most people know they're going to the store 45 - 90 minutes ahead of time and what they want. Just buy and pay via fingers and finger print, and it's usually a few minutes of your life spent and without having to step more than 10-20 feet into the store. This is 2017. I don't see much reason for wasting time in stores if it's not something like neighborhood hardware store, groceries or where fit is an issue.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Extra irony or eye rolls when people are mad about the reservation system or order pick up system. Yesterday some those many waiting gave me strange looks when I set my bike against the glass front, showed the message on my phone to the greeter, was handed some AirPods, and left.

I bet most people know they're going to the store 45 - 90 minutes ahead of time and what they want. Just buy and pay via fingers and finger print, and it's usually a few minutes of your life spent and without having to step more than 10-20 feet into the store. This is 2017. I don't see much reason for wasting time in stores if it's not something like neighborhood hardware store, groceries or where fit is an issue.

Yep. Exactly why Brick and mortar model is dying. I never go to the Apple store unless I have a genius appointment. If I wanna check macs I usually go Best Buy where is much less crowded.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:36 AM

I'm seeing more app upgrades that would give me the viewing I need but I'm not sold on giving up the fingerprint reader.

The rumors of a plus version and very tech and security focused stuff I follow weigh in too. To be fair, what I want or need as an enterprise admin is not what many probably even think about.

At the moment I'm letting a phone on the lease/upgrade run out and still loving my 7 Plus. With luck a year's time will get me a plus sized full screen phone for even more real estate. If I have a phone die before then I hope I can at least have choice when I step into the Apple store.

I take periodic looks and consider change but VMware lets me copy and paste from an iPhone into a Windows VM on a Mac so that and a few apps will probably keep me with the platform.

These phones are pretty neat stuff. The cameras are great and just assisting others, it took about 30 seconds for me to not miss the home button except for the fingerprint reader.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I'm seeing more app upgrades that would give me the viewing I need but I'm not sold on giving up the fingerprint reader.

The rumors of a plus version and very tech and security focused stuff I follow weigh in too. To be fair, what I want or need as an enterprise admin is not what many probably even think about.

At the moment I'm letting a phone on the lease/upgrade run out and still loving my 7 Plus. With luck a year's time will get me a plus sized full screen phone for even more real estate. If I have a phone die before then I hope I can at least have choice when I step into the Apple store.

I take periodic looks and consider change but VMware lets me copy and paste from an iPhone into a Windows VM on a Mac so that and a few apps will probably keep me with the platform.

These phones are pretty neat stuff. The cameras are great and just assisting others, it took about 30 seconds for me to not miss the home button except for the fingerprint reader.

The face recognition is good enough for me not to miss the fingerprint reader. I think the next logical step or to make a full screen plus sized phone, but I doubt I’ll bite since I think this size is nearly perfect for me. Considering the money I spent on this phone, I plan to keep it for at least 3 years for not longer.

As far as updated apps, I think developers are waiting for this phone to reach more users. Right now I’m on Tapatalk app and it looks like my 6S since there’s a good inch of screen not being filled up. [emoji23]
Old 11-18-2017, 01:25 PM

Oh and you want to buy a case for this phone, you should look up the horror stories of people dropping it and cracking the glass on day one. I bought the pelican case because it offers great protection without making the phone too bulky. It also has a handy holster that also serves as a kickstand. The only drawback is that the dust covers can be a pain. The ringer/vibrate switch is just about impossible to reach unless you stick something in here or you have really small fingers or long fingernails. Other than that, this case is great.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
The face recognition is good enough for me not to miss the fingerprint reader. I think the next logical step or to make a full screen plus sized phone, but I doubt I’ll bite since I think this size is nearly perfect for me. Considering the money I spent on this phone, I plan to keep it for at least 3 years for not longer.

As far as updated apps, I think developers are waiting for this phone to reach more users. Right now I’m on Tapatalk app and it looks like my 6S since there’s a good inch of screen not being filled up. [emoji23]
Quote:
Oh and you want to buy a case for this phone, you should look up the horror stories of people dropping it and cracking the glass on day one. I bought the pelican case because it offers great protection without making the phone too bulky. It also has a handy holster that also serves as a kickstand. The only drawback is that the dust covers can be a pain. The ringer/vibrate switch is just about impossible to reach unless you stick something in here or you have really small fingers or long fingernails. Other than that, this case is great.
You've nailed big reasons for my hesitating but I feel lucky that I can actually handle the phones and know what I'd be getting into if I buy one. My phone in the upgrade program runs out this week, and I don't want to carry on those payments.

The way people use these things really varies so I know how they may or may not meet people's needs.

All the time I spend on a bike, feet and skis would make me a weight weenie but plus size has been fine. It will be really sweet if I can get a plus and S version of your new phone in a year.

The new phone and ver 11 OS with 64 bit only have forced a whole lot of app refreshes and that's nice no matter what.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
I have an iPhone 8 for work and a a Samsung S7 for home, and to put it simply, I like the OS better of the iPhone, but have always felt Samsung has the better display hands down. (My deal breaker for personnal use).

That said, I heard this apple has a new and improved OLED (?) display, rivaling the Samsung..... When my current contract is up, i may have a look at the iPhone. I have no allegiances to either... i go with what i feel is fhe best.

And i never could live without a smartphone.
Really? That's kind of funny how Samsung's own display could rival its own. Or does the iPhone hardware somehow take a Samsung display and make it better? The curved OLED displays on the iPhone X are made by Samsung.

Now as for me, I have the iPhone 7 Plus from work and a Samsung Note 8 as a personal. Next Spring, I'll be able to upgrade my work phone and pick whatever I want rather being forced to use an iPhone. I really hated Steve Jobs because he made Apple products so darn good. I won't say he was a tech genius since lots of the things that he "invented" were bought from other companies. I think Apple died with him and we're seeing that unfold. As for the Note 8, I will love it until Note 9 comes out. I am a Samsung homer. I have a Samsung laptop, TV, fridge, washer and dryer, and even their suits.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
Really? That's kind of funny how Samsung's own display could rival its own. Or does the iPhone hardware somehow take a Samsung display and make it better? The curved OLED displays on the iPhone X are made by Samsung.

Now as for me, I have the iPhone 7 Plus from work and a Samsung Note 8 as a personal. Next Spring, I'll be able to upgrade my work phone and pick whatever I want rather being forced to use an iPhone. I really hated Steve Jobs because he made Apple products so darn good. I won't say he was a tech genius since lots of the things that he "invented" were bought from other companies. I think Apple died with him and we're seeing that unfold. As for the Note 8, I will love it until Note 9 comes out. I am a Samsung homer. I have a Samsung laptop, TV, fridge, washer and dryer, and even their suits.

I might be going out on a limb here, but the fact you “hated” Steve Jobs because he was so good at what he did, and you own everything Samsung at home (didn’t even know they made suits!) might make your opinion a tad bit biased? [emoji23]

The display is indeed Samsung (it’s not curved though), but that means nothing. What I like about iPhone is the user interface, that’s what made me switch from Android all those years ago. I don’t care that the X has features that Samsung had 3 years ago, all I care about is how well it works for me.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I won't say [Steve Jobs] was a tech genius since lots of the things that he "invented" were bought from other companies. I think Apple died with him and we're seeing that unfold.
I have recently and very reluctantly come to that conclusion, myself. Steve Jobs was a human factors genius and understood product usability more than any other person on earth. I really miss him, and I mean that genuinely.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I might be going out on a limb here, but the fact you “hated” Steve Jobs because he was so good at what he did, and you own everything Samsung at home (didn’t even know they made suits!) might make your opinion a tad bit biased? [emoji23]

The display is indeed Samsung (it’s not curved though), but that means nothing. What I like about iPhone is the user interface, that’s what made me switch from Android all those years ago. I don’t care that the X has features that Samsung had 3 years ago, all I care about is how well it works for me.
Yes It does not matter.. But on Apples website they mention that it is curved or bent over at the edge (may be what he is referring to)
I agree the strength of Apple was under Jobs and still is, constantly trying to make the user interface simpler and more integrated, and that vision has not died or changed . And I think like Mark Twain, rumors of Apple's "demise" are greatly exaggerated

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-21-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, they sell lovely suits. It is even called a Galaxy line. LOL.
The A11 chip is also made by Samsung too. Sorry.
I thought I was going to get blasted or buried here for my original post but I then realized this is not just some crazy forum or Youtube where everyone is fighting as if these phone companies cared about us as individuals. I hated Steve Jobs because he was good at what he did, MARKETING. He put Samsung to shame back in the old days. I try to be very objective in my opinion when it comes to Apple vs Samsung. But what pushed me over the edge while I was using an iPhone 4 was the constant passwords and iTunes. So I switched to Android and never looked back. When I play around with the iPhone 7 Plus, I have things that I like and hate about the phone. The one thing that comes to my mind is the fact that I cannot customize my home screen to the degree that a typical Android phone would let me. Little things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I have recently and very reluctantly come to that conclusion, myself. Steve Jobs was a human factors genius and understood product usability more than any other person on earth. I really miss him, and I mean that genuinely.
I think the smart phone industry misses his creativity. I think the entire smartphone industry benefited from Steve Job's contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes It does not matter.. But on Apples website they mention that it is curved or bent over at the edge (may be what he is referring to)
I agree the strength of Apple was under Jobs and still is, constantly trying to make the user interface simpler and more integrated, and that vision has not died or changed . And I think like Mark Twain, rumors of Apple's "demise" are greatly exaggerated
Can someone tell me if that facial emoji thing is a must have? I thought it was a FAIL when they demo'd it. I think I heard Steve screaming from his grave.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:13 PM

Default No iPhone X thread yet?

Quote:
Oh yeah, they sell lovely suits. It is even called a Galaxy line. LOL.

The A11 chip is also made by Samsung too. Sorry.

I thought I was going to get blasted or buried here for my original post but I then realized this is not just some crazy forum or Youtube where everyone is fighting as if these phone companies cared about us as individuals. I hated Steve Jobs because he was good at what he did, MARKETING. He put Samsung to shame back in the old days. I try to be very objective in my opinion when it comes to Apple vs Samsung. But what pushed me over the edge while I was using an iPhone 4 was the constant passwords and iTunes. So I switched to Android and never looked back. When I play around with the iPhone 7 Plus, I have things that I like and hate about the phone. The one thing that comes to my mind is the fact that I cannot customize my home screen to the degree that a typical Android phone would let me. Little things like that.

I think the smart phone industry misses his creativity. I think the entire smartphone industry benefited from Steve Job's contributions.

Can someone tell me if that facial emoji thing is a must have? I thought it was a FAIL when they demo'd it. I think I heard Steve screaming from his grave.

If there’s one thing I miss about Android is the customization and overall openness overall.

The Animoji is fun. I’ve used it a few times, but the list of available animojis is small, I’m sure the library will expand. Or you can just do Snapchat if you want to look like a dog or whatever. [emoji23]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic