The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-19-2024, 04:43 PM

Default Kiso Suzuki Neck Reset?

Hello friends. I inherited a really beautiful Kiso W300. Looks like new, and to be 1974-75. Script headstock label, large Snowflake inlay. She sounds amazing! Problem is someone left tight strings on her, and she needs a neck reset.

I showed 2 luthiers. Both said the guitar wasn't worth the price to do the job. Which I'm not concerned with since it's well worth the $350-400 investment considering my investment.

My question; is the neck able to be reset? Both guys said they never did a neck reset on Suzuki's and it might not be able to reset? They would need to put the steam on it, and possibly trash the guitar in the process if it doesn't separate. I'm sure there's debate about the answer I got from them? Neither actually looked excited about the job!

Has anyone done, or had one of the 70's Suzuki necks reset? Or, do you know if they used hide glue exclusively for their neck joints?

If I just strummed cowboy chords I'd be fine. But, I don't. And the guitar is actually like new! Doesn't have a bit of wear! And again, sounds Amazing!

Any information or direction is highly appreciated! Thanks, Ron
Old 01-19-2024, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

If Suzuki guitars were built similar to the way Yahamas were made back in that era (which seems likely) then the neck is attached with epoxy, hence why the luthiers probably didn't seem very excited at the prospect of doing a neck reset and said it wouldn't be worth the money. Could definitely get well over $350-$400 if it is indeed epoxy.

There are some repair guys who have done "poor mans" neck resets on those 70s Yamahas by sawing off the neck at the heel and then converting the neck to a bolt on. Much more cost effective and just a much easier process in general.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:08 PM

I pull the entire fingerboard or cut it at the 12th fret and remove the lower section. That exposes the joint, after which the remaining course of action can be determined.
Epoxied dovetails can be drilled using a long 1/16" drill bit. After removal, the drilled surfaces are leveled and thick shims are installed to refit the joint.
Dowelled joints can be handled by sawing the neck off with a thin blade. They can then be converted to a bolt-on.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the info!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair