The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Default Top 1% (worldwide) in income and wealth

According to the article linked below, if you make $32,400 a year, you are I. The top 1% of earners worldwide. The bar is higher for net worth: it takes a net worth of $770,000 to be in the top 1% in regards to wealth.

I knew I was well off...but wow...it kind of blows me away to realize how my yearly income stacks up with the rest of the world. Time to make good use of this abundance!

https://www.investopedia.com/article...cent-world.asp
Old 12-11-2017, 04:37 PM

The stat is misleading to the point of meaningless. There are places in the world where $33K income has you living like a king but if you live in New York, London, or Paris, you're not going to feel too well off. All depends on where you are, how many dependents you might have, and what other commitments you have against your income.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM
G625 mistral-k

Rich,

Hard to believe the data on what you shared regarding income and wealth. I shared with my better half, and we agreed, neither one of us are feeling it, thus confirming to us, one's response is more relative to where you live.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The stat is misleading to the point of meaningless. There are places in the world where $33K income has you living like a king but if you live in New York, London, or Paris, you're not going to feel too well off. All depends on where you are, how many dependents you might have, and what other commitments you have against your income.
I don't know anyone who actually lives on 33k a year as a total sole source of income in New York City. London or Paris I can't speak for.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The stat is quite meaningful for the purpose of gaining a global perspective.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-11-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The stat is quite meaningful for the purpose of gaining a global perspective.
Economy at the individual level can't be meaningfully measured on a global level.

Zero income in Pakistan and zero income in West Germany are vastly different but both count as zero income.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Economy at the individual level can't be meaningfully measured on a global level.

Zero income in Pakistan and zero income in West Germany are vastly different but both count as zero income.
OK...it's not meaningful to you. And THAT is meaningful!!

Thanks for having such a strong reaction.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

A while back I read "Capital In The 21st Centuryy" by Tnomas Piketty.

Not this subject specifically, but a very clear pic of the nature of global wealth, with emphasis on europe if i remember correctly.

I recommend it if you're into stuff like that.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-11-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Political topics
Old 12-11-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
OK...it's not meaningful to you. And THAT is meaningful!!

Thanks for having such a strong reaction.
So , this is how you plan to make good use of your individual abundance .
Just a suggestion that you consider aiming higher .
Darned 1%ers .
Old 12-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

This thread has been dangerously close to politics since the first post. Let's please stay away from those areas... thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
According to the article linked below, if you make $32,400 a year, you are I. The top 1% of earners worldwide. The bar is higher for net worth: it takes a net worth of $770,000 to be in the top 1% in regards to wealth.

I knew I was well off...but wow...it kind of blows me away to realize how my yearly income stacks up with the rest of the world. Time to make good use of this abundance!

https://www.investopedia.com/article...cent-world.asp
From that exact same article:

"What constitutes the 1% if you just look at the US? Not surprisingly, it takes a massively higher income to crack the top percentile of wage earners; you'd have to make $450,000 in adjusted gross income (AGI) to make the cut."

So don't spend that $32,400 all at once ...
Old 12-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Why perpetuate the stupid ‘1%’ shibboleth?

It’s as meaningless as the statistic in the OP. It’s just a label designed to arise emotion.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

There's a lot of people in the world. And 99% of them make less than me.

Feels pretty darn good!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
So , this is how you plan to make good use of your individual abundance .
Just a suggestion that you consider aiming higher .
Darned 1%ers .
Nah...words don’t usually diminish economic abundance. Certainly, the words you quoted won’t.

I think everyone is missing my intended communication. I had come across an advertisement for a local non-profit that supports arts programs in local schools. They were seeking donations, of course, and they said that “anyone can afford to help,” because, according to them, “people earning over $21,000 per year are the richest 4% on the planet.” I did a Google search in hopes of finding a reference for the stat. Couldn’t find one, so I settled on the one I linked to in OP.

Both stats helped me to appreciate my good fortune/blessings.

No political back story. No attachment (or even much interest) in the freighted term “one percenters”.

Sometimes, the message one intends to send is not the message received. I guess I should have anticipated the kinds of posts that appeared. But I didn’t.

Oh well....
Old 12-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Nah...words don’t usually diminish economic abundance. Certainly, the words you quoted won’t.

I think everyone is missing my intended communication. I had come across an advertisement for a local non-profit that supports arts programs in local schools. They were seeking donations, of course, and they said that “anyone can afford to help,” because, according to them, “people earning over $21,000 per year are the richest 4% on the planet.” I did a Google search in hopes of finding a reference for the stat. Couldn’t find one, so I settled on the one I linked to in OP.

Both stats helped me to appreciate my good fortune/blessings.

No political back story. No attachment (or even much interest) in the freighted term “one percenters”.

Sometimes, the message one intends to send is not the message received. I guess I should have anticipated the kinds of posts that appeared. But I didn’t.

Oh well....
I quoted no one .

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-11-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic