The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Default NTVD quick thoughts on a new LG OLED TV

So I just got one of LG's OLED TV offerings

I chose the middle of the -3 different 7P series , the OLED55C7P which has the same display and all the same electronics and resolution features as the top model the only difference I could find was in the position of the built in speaker system (which I don't use)

So initial thoughts:

The TV I replaced was 55 Samsung Plasma 8000 series about 6 years old

Also note I do not get dish, cable, or over the air broadcast, I get strictly internet. Netflix and Hulu and now with the LG, Amazon Prime or use my Oppo Blue Ray disk player (older so not 4k) .

I bought this from my local Best Buy and understanding they display with the Best possible proprietary closed circuit source feed , and as such I was a bit skeptical as to how much difference the upscaling would make at my house real world situation.

Well I was not only pleasantly surprised but actually fairly amazed .
Compared to the Samsung Plasma (which was a pretty darn nice picture) the upscaling is pretty amazing .
There is a significant improvement in color, detail, clarity and especially in depth perception . There is a completely different visual ( feel, if you will) or aspect ... the foreground is sharper and the depth of field has a clarity of definition and detail , I am amazed at . Because of enhanced detail and clarity you notice things at the very back of the depth of field that before went unnoticed . And in dark scenes there is a good bit more of darker detail befor going to total black than on the plasma.

I tried a number of Netflix sources and there was improvement throughout.
Netflix older programs like NCIS took on a new enhanced visual appearance,
while newer programs like the last season of Green Arrow have a fairly astounding visual presence improvement .
As a personal test one of last things I viewed on the Samsung was the 1962 Black and White movie " The Longest Day" ( which as a kid I thought was great but now seemed pretty hokkie ) anyway there was a significant definite improvement there also, the only negative was the painted backdrops and the short depth of scenes shot on the stage, became all the more evident .

I realize I sound like advertizing hype but that is my honest take on it ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-08-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

70 views no replies.... Interesting ????? I realize it's a guitar frum but the open mic usually has no shortage of replies on a vast array of subjects . Guess I'll go watch my CrossRoads DVD

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 12-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

I have had an OLED TV for almost 2 years. Without a doubt it is the best picture I have ever seen. If I were to replace my TV I wouldn't even consider changing back to the other technology.

Currently have the 55" curved screen. Will probably add the 65" after the holidays. (In time for the Super Bowl).
Old 12-10-2017, 10:52 PM

I’ve got an older Sharp AQUOS 55” model I’d like to update but I’m having a hard time justifying the purchase. Was going to buy a year old, two model year old 65” Samsung 9000 series for $550 from a guy who upgraded to OLED, but he changed his mind and decided to keep it. I would have done that in a heart beat.

That missed experience has wet my appetite once again for a larger set and I’ve been pricing them for the last week. The LG OLED sets are well received but I don’t think I can bring myself to spend $2500 or more for a new set. The current 65” Samsung 8000 series are $1300 and I’m very tempted. Need to talk myself down and wait another year for the OLED to become more mainstream and affordable.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:34 AM

I've been reading a little about televisions lately and I understand the LG brand OLED are the ticket.
I may upgrade our 43" to a 55" in January.

It's amazing how much TV you get for the $ these days too.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

The LG C7P in 55 (basically the 2 nd from the top of line price wise and the top electronics and processing ) was and I believe still is $1699... While not cheap is is certainly a fairly big drop from what the top line sets went for even a few years ago. But of course that downward pricing has been reflected throughout the range of price points also. One thing that has been consistent with electronics is, it keeps improving and better electronics keep getting less expensive.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 AM

I am by far no TV expert except, when it comes to TV's as for now, I will ONLY get Samsung!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I've been reading a little about televisions lately and I understand the LG brand OLED are the ticket.
I may upgrade our 43" to a 55" in January.

It's amazing how much TV you get for the $ these days too.
I did quite a bit of research and did a fair amount of hanging out at Best Buy and viewing

Currently at Best Buy only Sony and LG offer OLED and Sony is actually sourcing the display from LG But or using their own processors.
I considered the Sony A1 in 55 but it was $2400 and I decided I would opt for the LG and if I was going to put more money into it. I would get an OPPO UDP 205 Blu Ray DVD player which for me is the by leaps and bounds the best value in a top of line BluRay.

Samsung has gone with QLED Quantium Dot LED and it also has a great picture But they only offer the it in 65 in an up and will not fit in between my L & R surround speakers . That and Samsungs continuing inability to come to an agreement with Amazon and honestly I prefer having LG's Web OS Smart TV application over Samsungs Smart TV app .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-11-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

Also note I do not get dish, cable, or over the air broadcast, I get strictly internet. Netflix and Hulu and now with the LG, Amazon Prime or use my Oppo Blue Ray disk player (older so not 4k) .
Who/what is your internet provider? Is it safe to say that a certain bandwidth is required to achieve these results?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 12-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Who/what is your internet provider? Is it safe to say that a certain bandwidth is required to achieve these results?
Now that is very good question . Here is the interesting thing my internet is via Rise Broadband wireless. so it's a small dish/antenna on the house and I am guessing it is average to slow average speed.

Just ran a "speedtest.net" I get a "Ping" of 30 ms a Download speed of 4.80 Mbps and an upload of .89 Mbps

So no the things I am seeing , are not a result of high speed isp service at all. And in fact, for example while I believe I may be getting 720 on Netflix but on Hulu which IMO does not have as good of a buffering process, I have gotten some momentary stoppages at the start of a couple of the programs. now this has been an improvement over what I was getting with the Samsung but that may have been do to the fact I was not able to successfully update Samsung firmware .

Now in all honesty I have Hulu set to " Auto" and have made no selection on Netflix yet... so it may be possible that I am getting above minimum resolutions but if so it would be an because of improvement in their respective buffering processes But it is something I will have to investigate further

So in answer to your question I would say I think I am getting these results because of the really effective "upscaling" that this TV has.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 12-11-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Now that is very good question . Here is the interesting thing my internet is via Rise Broadband wireless. so it's a small dish/antenna on the house and I am guessing it is average to slow average speed.

Just ran a "speedtest.net" I get a "Ping" of 30 ms a Download speed of 4.80 Mbps and an upload of .89 Mbps
All very interesting to me as I really want to cut the cable, but poor performance of Amazon and Netflix ( due to bandwidth issue I assume) have kept me from doing so. I just ran the speedtest.net test and scored
;
ping .44
download .96
upload .38

That seems pretty bad. It's DSL. I guess it's the download performance that is the main bottleneck to streaming?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 12-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
All very interesting to me as I really want to cut the cable, but poor performance of Amazon and Netflix ( due to bandwidth issue I assume) have kept me from doing so. I just ran the speedtest.net test and scored
;
ping .44
download .96
upload .38

That seems pretty bad. It's DSL. I guess it's the download performance that is the main bottleneck to streaming?
Yes .96 download is pretty slow even for DSL ..... no doubt both Amazon and Netflix would be constantly stopping and re-buffering .. You might check if Rise Broadband is available in your location

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic