The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-25-2017, 07:35 PM

Default Picking/strumming help

So how can I keep my picking hand from “flying” up and down while I pick notes or strum a song. It kinda just goes out of control and I hit all the wrong strings..or I hit the right strings but since I swing so far down, I can’t get back in time to hit the next note on time(if that makes sense) ...it’s like my brain focuses so much on the left hand that it looses concentration on the right hand and that’s when I start “swinging” as I call it
Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Picking/strumming help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyfan161 View Post
So how can I keep my picking hand from “flying” up and down while I pick notes or strum a song. It kinda just goes out of control and I hit all the wrong strings..or I hit the right strings but since I swing so far down, I can’t get back in time to hit the next note on time(if that makes sense) ...it’s like my brain focuses so much on the left hand that it looses concentration on the right hand and that’s when I start “swinging” as I call it

Something like this?

https://goo.gl/images/pNjGqA
Old 10-26-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
...it’s like my brain focuses so much on the left hand that it looses concentration on the right hand and that’s when I start “swinging” as I call it
Practice smaller bits, like 1 or 2 chord changes at a time, and actually focus on right hand issues.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Stop focusing on the left hand!
Just hold one chord (maybe a nice easy Em) and concentrate on the right hand.

For strumming you do need a good swing - whole forearm moving from the elbow, and a relaxed wrist. Ideally, the pick should move roughly the width of the guitar, equally above and below the strings for a "straight" rhythm (rock straight 8s). For swing feel, allow the pick to move further below the strings than above, to get the delayed 8th note on the upstroke between the beats.
The wider and more relaxed the arm movement (depending on tempo to some extent), the more secure the beat and time-keeping is, because your arm is like a pendulum or metronome. Don't stiffen the elbow or the wrist.

For picking individual strings (maybe combined with strumming), you naturally need a more controlled movement, forearm braced on the guitar, and the movement coming from the wrist, so you can choose the strings you want to hit.

Practice the two different techniques separately at first. As you get used to them, you should find you can combine them - narrowing the move for individual strings, moving more from the elbow for full chords.

Then practice changing between two chords without losing the beat or the feel... I.e., bring the left hand back in gradually, without disturbing the right hand.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:22 PM

For strumming, you need to learn better right hand control. It's like a baseball player at bat. You have to think of which strings you want to hit (the ball) and how hard you need to swing for a given pitch. Too many guys try to strum all the strings, or mindlessly strum just some of the strings, but missing the strings that matter more. So much more to strumming than just up and down, but you need to start adjusting your "swing" somewhere.

Picking is a little different. The right hand should remain relatively stationary. The thumb (P) should initially be confined to plucking the 4th, 5th and 6ths strings (bass notes). Index (I) sits near the 3rd string and plucks that string, the middle (M) sits near the 2nd string to pluck that string and ring finger (A) stays near the 1st string. So if the fingers stay near their assigned strings there is no need for the hand to move except to accentuate things, which is probably down the road a bit after you get used to the changes.

It's all a matter of training, control and self restraint. Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-27-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Something like this?

https://goo.gl/images/pNjGqA

Now that is funny! -looks like good pt for rotator cuff problems.[emoji851]
Old 10-27-2017, 03:01 AM

I struggled a while with it. Like anything else it just takes time and practice. A great exercise I found that's actually fun to play is Neil Young's Needle And The Damage Done. It requires an up and down strum on every quarter note while picking out certain strings at the same time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write