The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Steve Goodman Tribute Showcase

I’d like to thank charmedlife417 for starting a thread in the General Acoustic Guitar Discussion to remember the amazing and much missed Steve Goodman. He was a great singer, player and songwriter. He wrote City of New Orleans. And co-wrote You Never Even Called Me By My Name. I’m posting this song as a tribute to Steve – channeling Wayne’s World “I’m not worthy!” – and hope others will post their favorite Goodman songs. Even multiple versions of City of New Orleans.

Looking for Trouble. A song written and recorded in by Goodman in 1975. Apologies to true SG aficionados – I learned this song by ear listening to others play live and only just found that there should be a bridge! I’m playing a Breedlove dread tuned a half step down but capoed crazily up on the 8th fret; playing in Am mode so = Key of Em. This is recorded live into the MP3 Recorder app on my Android phone using whatever mic is on my cell phone.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 07-28-2014, 10:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm deeply honored and humbled by this new thread. I just wrote a whole page in response and then hit the wrong key and it got erased. Argh! I will write more in a day or two.

Ironically, that is my all-time favorite photograph or Steve. I've been meaning to get it blown up for years. It captures his spirit perfectly.

I just have one request right now: If you're a die-hard Goodman fan, please direct some of the younger AGF members here so they can learn about his life and music.

In the meantime, here are two YouTube clips from Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6BB1FbCA2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYpF5STaqF4

Random, thanks so much. I'm deeply touched. When Steve died, I promised I would do everything I could to keep his music alive. This is one more link in the chain.

Peace, Out
Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Random, Oops, forgot to mention: wonderful tune, beauttifully sung, with a few very Goodmanish flourishes on the guitar. Excellent. Thank You!

FYI, anyone who saw Steve Goodman perform live will never forget it as long as they live. I'm one attest to this.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
I’d like to thank charmedlife417 for starting a thread in the General Acoustic Guitar Discussion to remember the amazing and much missed Steve Goodman. He was a great singer, player and songwriter. He wrote City of New Orleans. And co-wrote You Never Even Called Me By My Name. I’m posting this song as a tribute to Steve – channeling Wayne’s World “I’m not worthy!” – and hope others will post their favorite Goodman songs. Even multiple versions of City of New Orleans.

Looking for Trouble. A song written and recorded in by Goodman in 1975. Apologies to true SG aficionados – I learned this song by ear listening to others play live and only just found that there should be a bridge! I’m playing a Breedlove dread tuned a half step down but capoed crazily up on the 8th fret; playing in Am mode so = Key of Em. This is recorded live into the MP3 Recorder app on my Android phone using whatever mic is on my cell phone.

Random, thanks, man. From one Stevie lover to another.

Coincidentally, this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE picture of Steve, and I've seen dozens and dozens. It really captures his spirit. To this day I've not seen anyone who loved performing more than Steve Goodman. His energy onstage was infectious and palpable. If you were there, you already know what I'm talking about. If not, I can't explain it to you. A very special artist and human being.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:42 AM

Had dinner with Steve and his wife long ago ... just when 'New Orleans' became a hit for Arlo. The buddy of Goodman's who taught him guitar back in Chicago passed away here recently ... Howard Berkman. Great stories of the olden days when they formed a band and all. Steve was a fine performer indeed!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:01 PM

May Steve Goodman RIP and always be remembered for his wonderful music and humble personality.

Nice job on "Looking for Trouble," Random! I hope I didn't misunderstand your statement about others joining in with Goodman songs, that is, to post them in this tribute thread!

Here is our rendition of his ever popular City of New Orleans. In this rendition, Debbie does the singing to give it a little different twist from the original.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

Last edited by Bob1131; 09-29-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

It's all good, Bob! Post as many SG songs as you like. I hope others do as well. Somebody's got to do A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request:

Do they still play the blues in Chicago?
When baseball season rolls around
When the snow melts away
Do the Cubbies still play
In their ivy-covered burial ground?
When I was a boy they were my pride and joy
But now they only bring fatigue
To the home of the brave
The land of the free
And the doormat of the National League

Great job on City of New Orleans!

Ain't Nobody's Business:
Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzo View Post
Had dinner with Steve and his wife long ago ... just when 'New Orleans' became a hit for Arlo. The buddy of Goodman's who taught him guitar back in Chicago passed away here recently ... Howard Berkman. Great stories of the olden days when they formed a band and all. Steve was a fine performer indeed!
Danzo, thanks. I didn't know about Howard Berkman, but anyone who helped Steve become who he was is A number one in my book.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
It's all good, Bob! Post as many SG songs as you like. I hope others do as well. Somebody's got to do A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request:

Do they still play the blues in Chicago?
When baseball season rolls around
When the snow melts away
Do the Cubbies still play
In their ivy-covered burial ground?
When I was a boy they were my pride and joy
But now they only bring fatigue
To the home of the brave
The land of the free
And the doormat of the National League

Great job on City of New Orleans!
Yeah, loved it too.

You know, so many ironies about Steve's passing. A couple weeks after his death the Cubbies made the playoffs for the first time in, like, 30 years. Then the following year Willie Nelson's version of "City" wins a Grammy for record of the year. Talk about lousy timing.

I was lucky to see Steve in concert four times. I will never forget him. Thanks, everyone.

Oh, oh, P.S., one more thing:

I was at an acoustic jam yesterday with a couple of really good young singers (in their 20s) who of course had never heard of Steve Goodman. We were winding down and I got to sing last. The guy before me had just done a really sad song similar to "The Streets of London". I did Steve's "My Old Man" and everyone, especially the young guys, were floored by the song.

"WHO is this guy?" they kept asking me.

I'm not bragging on myself, but on Steve's song. I do it very simply, very quietly, and I'm not half the guitar player Stevie was. It just knocked them out.

I smiled inwardly, because I made a solemn vow to myself the day Steve died that I would do whatever I could to keep his music and his spirit alive.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Never mind. Duplicate posting.

Ain't Nobody's Business:

Last edited by Random1643; 09-30-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Charmed Life has posted same link in this thread!!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Interviews with folks like Kris Kristofferson, Arlo Guthrie, John Prine, others talking about Steve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZx7xCK6yfo

Ain't Nobody's Business:
Old 09-30-2014, 07:17 PM

In memory of Steve Goodman. Okay, so I'm not Mr. Stage Presence.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&fea...id=9YGuChQuDYs
Old 10-01-2014, 06:34 AM

Great job, guys and gals! I'll try to come up with something that isn't "City Of New Orleans" for this.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell