The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Default DR Rare's vs Sunbeams....

What's the difference between the two? I've recently discovered the DR Rares (yes I live under a rock) and I think they are very good.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:17 AM

DR Rares are hex core (like most strings), DR Sunbeams are round core with a compression wrap. The round core gives a very long sustain (in most cases) and improved flexability, the compression wrap adds mass and helps keep "stuff" out of the coils producing a longer life and clean resonance. BTW Sunbeams won out in a 8 brand several month long recording test I did a year or so back but of course like all things guitar, personal preference is, well, personal. The string hunt is great fun and cheap entertainment, especially if you make it a project.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065

Last edited by Michael T; 12-11-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:30 AM

Barry,

I just put a set or Rares on on of my guitars and have another the same size with Sunbeams, so I could compare, Sunbeams have been my standard for about 3 years.

The Rares ase a little brighter than Sunbeams, and the Sunbeams, with the round core are noticeably more "flexible", they bend easier.

I love Martin SP's but I'd be changing them every week, and I keep four guitars out and "in rotation" all the time.

D'Addarios has a nice sound and decent longevity, but I use 13's on my dreads and Sunbeams are the only 13's that done play like telephone cables to me, the only 13's I can reasonable bend are Sunbeams.

To me Sunbeams have a mid range tone, not too bright, not too warm, their longevity is good for a non-coated string, but the playability and bendability is excellent. Hope that helps............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 AM

Hi Rich:
Did you ever use the Martin SP Fingerstyle series, and if so, how do you feel the DR Sunbeams compare to the SP Fingerstyles? I just loved the SP Fingerstyle series, and was so sad when Martin discontinued them. The newer so called replacement FX series are nowhere near as nice in tone as the Fingerstyles were.

I have run out of my stash of Fingerstyle sets, so now it is time to find a decent replacement. Since I know you liked the SP series strings I thought you might have some comparative thoughts that would be insightful.

Thanks in advance!!!
Very Best Regards
duff
Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 AM

I discovered DR Sunbeams few months ago (again thanks to AGF, what a great place we have ) and from now then I use this and Wyres strings (depending on the guitar) on all my guitars.
Sunbeams have great tone and playability.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 AM

I just did a Rare/Sunbeams comparison, having put a set of Rare on and changing to the Sunbeams within a few hours while the strings were still fresh and the comparisons valid. Sunbeams were still my preference by a considerable margin. It surprises me that round core strings are not more popular than they are.

While on the subject (sort of), can anyone name any other round core strings besides Newtone and Sunbeams?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Hi Rich:
Did you ever use the Martin SP Fingerstyle series, and if so, how do you feel the DR Sunbeams compare to the SP Fingerstyles? I just loved the SP Fingerstyle series, and was so sad when Martin discontinued them. The newer so called replacement FX series are nowhere near as nice in tone as the Fingerstyles were.

I have run out of my stash of Fingerstyle sets, so now it is time to find a decent replacement. Since I know you liked the SP series strings I thought you might have some comparative thoughts that would be insightful.

Thanks in advance!!!
Very Best Regards
duff
I love the tone of Martin strings but SP's die on me in a week, I have oily skin and play every day. Never player the Fingerstyles and I hated the FX. SP's and the Marquis are very nice but they don't last long enough for me, and none have the playability of the round core Sunbeams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm55 View Post
I just did a Rare/Sunbeams comparison, having put a set of Rare on and changing to the Sunbeams within a few hours while the strings were still fresh and the comparisons valid. Sunbeams were still my preference by a considerable margin. It surprises me that round core strings are not more popular than they are.

While on the subject (sort of), can anyone name any other round core strings besides Newtone and Sunbeams?
I believe Cleartone has round core too, but they are double the Sunbeams price.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Just for the record, I just checked the Cleartone website. It appears that their strings are all hex core.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Anyone had a chance to compare the DR Sunbeams and Newtone Master Class mediums?

Tom
Old 12-11-2009, 11:06 AM

BTW, I'm currently trying out some John Pearse PB mediums on my Collings D-1A and I'm very impressed. Not sure if they're round or hex core? Had Newtones on before and they too sounded excellent. And, the D'Addario EJ17s that came on the guitar were just as impressive, maybe a little punchier than the others but stiffer. I would need much more time with each to filter down to which I liked the best but I kind of liked the punchy-ness of the D'Addario EJ17s so far.
Both the D'Addarios and Newtones lasted me about a month to 6 wks of playing maybe 10 hrs a week or so, before changing to the Pearse PB mediums. I'll go back to the D'Addarios next to re-evaluate them and compare to the Pearse and Newtones. Once I pick a favorite from those three (if I can) I'll then try the DR Sunbeams.
Just to confuse things a little more, the clips of the Dean Markley Alchemys on the Strings And Beyond website are very impressive compared to the others. You might want to check it out.

www.stringsandbeyond.com

Tom
Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Hmm? Went to the Strings And Beyond website and can't find the clips? Anyone else see them on the website? They were there a couple weeks ago.

Tom

Last edited by drbluegrass; 12-11-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:10 PM

I tried the Masterclass vs. Sunbeams. I liked both equally, but price and availability swung me in favour of Sunbeams. All John Pearse strings are on hex core.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:00 PM

I had a bad set of Newtones that Mike @ strings & beyond replaced with another set that also had 2 duds in them, again replaced and they were great. The experience left me a little shy of the Newtones. In my comparison they faired well, but not the same level to me as the Sunbeams, then there is the price too. BTW the Curt Managan is an excellent sounding compression wrapped hex core, but they do play like fence wire in comparison to the Sunbeams to me.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Bumping this one back up...

I've done a search & been thru all the "Rare" and "Sunbeam" threads, but there seems to be no consensus... and many reports of the Rares being brighter than the Sunbeams, which is the opposite of the DR official descriptions...?

So, can anybody else directly compare the 2? I've recently discovered Sunbeams, and love them. The only thing more I could hope for is even more warmth & fullnes than the Sunbeams already deliver (which is what DR says the Rares have).

I know that I won't "know" until I try them on MY guitar (solid cedar over lam. Hog), and I will, but if the consenus is the Rares are "brighter" or have more "sparkle", I'm definitely not interested.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 PM

I really like Sunbeams for feel and John Pearse PB's for tone. Both are great in the longevity department. Haven't tried the Rares but I've been curious about them.

Will

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion